Primary school - focused on Art

(15 Posts)
Luckydaddy Fri 03-May-13 15:11:01

My family and I are just moving back to London (Victoria Park area) after being in Sydney (Australia) for the last 3 years.

I have a little girl of 7 years old who has been going to school in Sydney and she is now in year 2. She literally love her school and friends. The school environment is so positive, all kids are so well-mannered and happy (there isn't any bullism at all), the teachers are so caring and optimistic. She does sports and plenty of activities like drama classes, dance, swimming. It's like heaven for any kid! On top of that the Ozzie weather is just phenomenal!

Considering this I am now facing the big challenge of finding a school in London that will be good for my little girl and won't be too much of a change from her beautiful world.

I have tried Lauriston (Victoria Park) but our home doesn't fall into the catchment area.
I have also tried St. Pauls Cathedral, Charterhouse Square, City of London School for Girls but none of these have any places for the next year term starting in Sept.
The only private school that has places available (not far from Victoria Park) is Dallington School in Clerkenwell but I don't know much about. Does anyone know the school?

I am also considering Catholic Schools as we are Catholic.

The main point is => My little girl is very creative and loves artistic activities like drawing, music, drama dancing + sport activities.
On this basis I would love her to join a school focused on Arts and sport activities.
Would anyone be able to advice me please?

Marthanoooo Fri 03-May-13 22:02:29

If you are looking for a focus in art then Dallington is the school for you. It has a very positive atmosphere and nice teachers. Our son is in their reception class and really loves it. Worth taking a look and if there are no spaces elsewhere your best bet...

Marthanoooo Fri 03-May-13 22:03:29

Although you couldn't say that Dallington is sports focused.

christinarossetti Fri 03-May-13 22:31:10

I think you need to decide whether you wish to pursue options in the state sector (as you did with Lauriston) and then find out which schools in Tower Hamlets/Hackney have spaces/are likely to.

You need to visit these schools before you make up your mind.

Otherwise, have a look at independents.

tethersend Fri 03-May-13 22:54:43

Avoid St.Elizabeth's.

tethersend Fri 03-May-13 22:55:11

Also, bear in mind the new catchment areas in Tower Hamlets.

delphiniumsarenice Sat 04-May-13 19:28:59

Have you considered Rosemary Works? My dc goes there. It's a nice school; very relaxed, nurturing and creative and while not especially sporty the children do spend lots of time active and outside.

Luckydaddy Sun 05-May-13 11:05:30

Thanks Marthanoooo for the suggestion. It's great to hear that Dallington school focuses on artistic activities. Do you know if they have a playground, carry out drama classes, dance classes, swimming classes?

Luckydaddy Sun 05-May-13 11:20:49

Thanks for your suggestion delphiniumsarenice I have had a look at the website and report of Rosemary Works. It seems like a good school. Do you know what age bracket are the children who goes to this school? Does the school focuses on artistic activities and sports?
Thanks in advance

Marthanoooo Sun 05-May-13 14:16:44

Dallington have a big playground, about 3 mins walk from the school, and a new sandpit so i am told. They go swimming weekly with the whole group (so i guess not a one-to-one class) and have gym sessions in the schools basement every week. They have singing every week too. Not sure about drama and dance classes actually, might be best to get in touch with the school to check about after school clubs. I would think that drama is high on their agenda. There is a science after school club too.

delphiniumsarenice Sun 05-May-13 19:47:25

Hi Luckydaddy, Rosemary Works did only go up to year 2, but from September most of year 2 are staying on for year 3 (and will continue up the school until year 6). I'd say it's more creative than sporty, but the children do have swimming lessons and PE each week (in the hall or the school has its own playground with little football pitch and climbing equipment). All pupils do music, but your child can have additional one to one piano or guitar lessons during the school day too. There are also various art, sport or science after school clubs. They have lots of day trips out to museums, local playgrounds or to the nearby canal too. The classes are small (about 15 max per class) with only one class per year, so everyone knows everyone. My DC is happy there. It'd be worth you having a look around the different schools you're interested in. I found it's quite like looking at houses; as soon as you walk in you get a sense of whether it's right for you or not. Good luck!

Luckydaddy Sun 05-May-13 21:50:01

Thanks for your suggestion delphiniumsarenice.

Luckydaddy Sun 05-May-13 21:58:44

Hi Marthanoooo, by what you are saying it seems Dallington would be a good school for my little girl. Do you know how many kids are generally in each class? Ideally I would like my little girl to be in a class with no too many kids so that she can get to know everyone and easily tie up friendships. Once again thanks for your advice.

Marthanoooo Mon 06-May-13 09:26:39

They have about thirty in each year split into two "groups". Those two groups are in one spacious room, divided up into areas. Both groups have their own sets of teachers each so they have a good teacher pupil ratio. That way they have lots of friends options from both groups and so far birthdays mean you invite everyone from both groups, so everyone is very inclusive.

Luckydaddy Mon 13-May-13 13:56:12

thanks for your advice Marthanoooo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now