Moving LA and don't want to give up my school place... please help.(13 Posts)
You should apply for a place at the school you want through your existing LA, that is where you are currently living. If the school still has open places then it has to offer you one of the places.
I would also as a matter of courtesy tell the school that you have made the application and that it should be through from your current LA very shortly,as you are working nearby and will be moving to the area. Obviously the priority then is to find somewhere local to live, ie your new partner, which you can then tell the new LA you have moved to.
mummytime - Our LA is running a second round of applications because they are opening three new schools for September which had not been approved before school places were allocated. Maybe the LA the OP is hoping to move to has a similar situatuion?
No they cannot take away your current school place.
But if you lie about living fulltime at your DP's address and are found out, the new school place can be taken away from you. If it is obtained fraudulently, they can remove it even after she has started in September.
Would you be comfortable if they took away your daughter's place because you were found to have made a fraudulent application ??
I'll say it again, don't lie. It's not good.
They can't take away your current school place until you formally give it up.
BTW legally there is no such thing as a second round of admissions. They should now be working from the Waiting list, or if no waiting list the "in year admission" rules.
I would apply for the new school from your present address, if they have a place they have to give it to you, regardless of where you live. It is then your responsibility to get her there.
You do not need to give up her present place until/unless you accept another one at a different school.
You could easily apply for a place at a school in your present LA and they could not/should not take away your present place until you decline it.
Do not lie!
Thanks for your replies.
I understand that we would be entering the second round of applications and there would still be competition if more people applied than there are spaces left and so distance from home does come into it. I'm comfortable with that element, my concern is whether the existing LA can revoke DD's place at the school we've already been awarded.
Is there anything they can do because her school move is as a result of her father being posted through the armed forces? i know that's usually to do with parents being moved to another posting and the family going with them, but could you raise this as a contributory factor here?
We did something similar in the summer before my dc started school and moved in with my parents in a different LA. We made a late application and, as the new school had space, there was never an address issue. I spoke to the new LA about how I would prove my address anyway (no tenancy, bills, etc) but they were very relaxed about it all.
The new LA were quite slow to process the application, but the school were really helpful and assured me we had places and ensured dc were included in any settling in sessions etc
I agree with narmada - you cannot tell the new LA that you are living there if you are not. It is very likely they will want proof of address and if they are unsure, they will be able to check with your current council and see you are still resident.
I don't quite know what you mean by a deadline.
The deadline for applications has long passed (as you know - you have a school place already). Any person moving to a new area is a late applicant at this stage so has to take their chances on which schools have places when they move. If however the school in the new area has spaces free that nobody is on the waiting list for, you can request one from your current address and living so far away won't go against you. If they have spaces free they have to be allocated to anyone who asks for one regardless of where they live so why not do that?
Don't lie to the LA about where you're living, if you're not living there full time, is my main advice.
If the new school has places, however, you could surely apply from your current address and they would have to give you a place? It is only when schools are over-subscribed that they bring distance criteria into play. The fact it's in a different LA doesn't matter.
As regards the existing offer being 'taken away' if you put in a new application, I think you have to speak to your existing LA about this and see what they say.
My daughter has been offered her first choice school in the LA where we currently live for September '13.
I have just found out that her father (my ex - but with whom I still have a good relationship with for DD's sake and we co-parent) is going into the army full time in June this year. This means that I will need to do all the picking/dropping off at school myself from June onwards (we have shared this responsibility to date).
I am trying to work out a solution that is going to be best/easiest for all concerned. One option is to move much closer to where I work (50 miles away) to allow me to continue to work but be much more available at short notice when she needs me/has an accident/is ill etc. This will also mean I am closer to the school for drop/collection times.
I have found a school that still has places available that we like in the new LA and the closing date is this coming Tuesday. I do not live in the LA yet, but I am planning to use my new partner's address (with whom we are due to move in with this summer). Technically we already live there 50% of the time.
If we don't get into this new school, I am minded to keep her in the first choice she already has secured and come up with a different work/life solution. However, I am scared that once I've put the new application in, her existing place will be automatically cancelled some way and we could end up with a undesirable school miles from where we live anyway.
Because the two schools are managed by different Councils, is this likely? Does one LA somehow notify all other LAs upon receipt of an application? What is my best option?
Any advice gratefully received. Thank you
Join the discussion
Please login first.