Breaside Prep (Bromley) and Merton Court (Sidcup) - any views I'm trying to decide which to go for

(10 Posts)
MrsFogi Wed 01-May-13 20:56:16

I'm trying to decide which one to put dd down for - can anyone tell me about their experiences of either of these schools? Also does anyone know whether one is better than the other for grammar school entrance?

ti99er22 Thu 02-May-13 21:43:14
MrsFogi Thu 02-May-13 23:50:55

Thanks ti99er22 I had seen those but given the stage dds are at I'm not v clued up on which grammar schools are super-selective, considered "better" than others etc so thought those with older children may be able to tell me. I'm also a bit lost as the Ofsted for Breaside seems better than Merton Court but on my reading (with limited understanding) of the leavers' destinations MC seems to do better at Yr 6 destinations. It would also be good to hear from anyone that has any experience of the schools rather than rely on the websites and what I have found on mn so far.

wineoclocktimeyet Fri 03-May-13 20:54:01

I've put details of those I know below - hope that helps (sorry, dont know which of the private schools are selective)

Bishop Challoner School - PRIVATE
Bromley High School - PRIVATE
Bullers Wood School- STATE
Chistlehurst & Sidcup Grammar School - BEXLEY 11+ EXAM
Colfe’s School - PRIVATE
Dartford Grammar - KENT 11+
Dulwich Prep - PRIVATE
Eltham College - PRIVATE
Farringtons - PRIVATE
Hayes School - STATE
James Allen’s Girls’ School D/K
Judd School- KENT GRAMMAR 11+
King’s - D/K
Nonsuch High School D/K
Newstead Wood School for Girls - SUPER SELECTIVE
Ravens Wood School - STATE
Ravensbourne School - STATE
Royal Russell School - D/K
St Olave’s - SUPER SELECTIVE BOYS
Sackville - PRIVATE
St Catherine’s School - D/K
Sevenoaks School - PRIVATE
Trinity School - PRIVATE
Townley Grammar School - GRAMMAR BEXLEY 11+ GIRLS
Whitgift School - PRIVATE
Wilmington Grammar For Girls - GRAMMAR KENT 11+
Wilmington Grammar For Boys - GRAMMAR KENT 11+

MrsFogi Sun 05-May-13 23:47:18

Thank you wineoclock you are lovely smile

hollyfolan Fri 02-May-14 13:39:08

Hi,

I am now having to make the same decision as you, between Breaside and Merton Court. Did you make a decision between the 2 schools in the end?

Thanks,.
Holly

cpbp Sun 04-May-14 10:46:10

Have you thought about Babington House? Fab school!

hardestdecisionever Tue 06-May-14 11:35:28

Merton Court prep. Our son is just finishing there in year 6. He has loved every minute of it. The leavers destinations are excellent and also get many children into super selective schools like Dartford Grammar boys and St Olaves. Our son even asks to go to breakfast club at 7.30 every morning as he enjoys being at school so much. Have never experienced this at any other school. Grounds and facilities are excellent at MC and the amount of extra curriclar activities they do whilst still achieving top results is simply amazing. All staff seem extremely committed to the school and many have been there for years.

mumum224 Wed 07-May-14 17:04:24

I have a girl at Babington House School, do visit before making up your mind. It's an amazing school. Extra curricular list in endless (for both boys & girls), fantastic teachers, breakfast club and so so much more. Certainly worth a visit before making a final call.

VanillaHoney Fri 09-May-14 21:25:43

Had a friend who had a DC at MC. They spent a fortune on 11+ tutoring outside school. She was not the only parent who did, maybe something to bear in mind when looking at the transfer list. She ended up at MC because she moved in to the area and it was the only indie with available spaces and the good state ones were full as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now