Does your child bring home spellings to learn ? (primary schooll)

(92 Posts)
Ladyemem Tue 30-Apr-13 14:39:35

wondered what other schools do.

Our school dont and i think they should be.

maizieD Sun 05-May-13 20:26:23

LightAFire, I am very well aware of the 'debate' about the use of phonics for the initial teaching of reading and if someone were to present me with a research evidence based piece which challenged the research evidence I rely on I would be very pleased. But over the years nobody who I have suggested this to has ever done so.

The point about spelling is that whatever 'Jennifer Jackson' based her statements on it certainly wasn't empirical evidence as, as far as I am aware, there has been no longitudinal national testing of spelling for years; if ever. So any judgement on the decline or, otherwise, of spelling nationally is purely subjective. I have worked with struggling readers/spellers for tha last 13 years and my subjective impression is that, since there has been slightly more emphasis on phonics teaching in the past few years, their spelling errors have become more a question of wrong grapheme choices than of incorrect letter strings.

I am glad that you like phonics teaching so much, but, as msz has noted, your insistence that some words are 'non-phonetic' is a bit worrying.

Portofino Sun 05-May-13 22:22:51

Many English words/spellings are NOT phonetic though. My dd was taught to read in French, through learning individual letter sounds and whole word recognition. French is much more phonetic than English and the rules are more rigid. She transferred her knowledge extremely well to reading in English. So I have to correct her according to context, read, read for example. That is not phonics.

Portofino Sun 05-May-13 22:26:22

I mean - I read a book. Present. I read a book. Simple past. Phonics cannot explain or decipher this.

maizieD Sun 05-May-13 23:28:09

If they weren't phonetic you wouldn't be able to read them. They all contain discrete sounds; the sounds are represented by a letter or group of letters. Agreed that with our very complex alphabetic code you might not always know quite which 'sound' is indicated by a letter (or group of letters), as in your read/read example, but the discrete sounds in both words are encoded.

'Phonics' should tell you that there are alternative pronunciations and to try them, using context where necessary to confirm the intended meaning.

maizieD Sun 05-May-13 23:31:22

P.S. I think what you really mean is that English words do not contain consistent letter/sound correspondences. The key word being 'consistent'. Neither, for that matter, does French, though it is less opaque than English.

kimmills222 Tue 14-May-13 19:35:36

I agree, kids must be given spellings to learn from their schools and daycare centers though my kid has not had any till now. I think he will be getting it in the next year. It helps the kid but problematic for the moms.

mrz Tue 14-May-13 19:47:22

why must they kimmills ... when all the evidence is those children who score 10/10 week after week in spelling tests are unable to spell the same words in their independent writing

mrz Tue 14-May-13 19:47:55

far better the school actually teaches them to spell

learnandsay Tue 14-May-13 20:40:53

I'm still waiting for ours. There's not a lot of Reception left.

simpson Tue 14-May-13 20:59:57

DD used to bring spellings home to learn weekly and have a test on Friday (reception) but she hasn't had any for weeks then told me last night that they are learning them at school instead grin (result for me as I hate doing spellings).

DS (yr3) has had maybe 5 lots of spellings since Sept.

learnandsay Tue 14-May-13 21:13:46

I wonder about mine. Recently she's started asking things like is y-o-u how you spell you? And then saying it's one of the tricky sounds that you can't sound out, like he and she. I added one and once and she replied we don't have those. But when I asked her have they been spelling words at school she said no. I've never gotten a single meaningful sentence out of her about what they do at school. So on this subject, like all the others, I've simply given up.

everlong Tue 14-May-13 21:14:22

Mrz you know the results from the spelling test that they have each week do they go towards their sats result ( spelling bit ) in year 2? I know it's unlikely.

freetrait Tue 14-May-13 21:26:56

I correct DS's spelling all the time now when he writes at home. I think he's ready for it (Y1). He often asks anyway if he's unsure. He's pretty good, and I think it would be a disservice to him not to correct it now. His spelling is very good for his age, so I think they are teaching encoding as mrz says as well as decoding. Today as an example he wrote vegtables, which isn't hard to correct to vegetables.

I then told him how spelling wasn't standardized for ages and that people used to use all sorts of spellings, which he found very amusing and then wrote "vejterbuls", found that even more amusing, already forgetting that that was his normal sort of spelling in YR grin.

simpson Tue 14-May-13 21:38:10

DD came home with a sheet of writing that she hand done in sound time with words like: window, snow, grow, show etc etc...

So I can deduce they have been covering ow as o iyswim!

simpson Tue 14-May-13 21:38:35

had blush

mrz Wed 15-May-13 06:50:57

No the results from weekly spelling tests aren't used for SAT results.

everlong Wed 15-May-13 07:34:49

Thanks , didn't think so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now