Do you/did you do specific SATS revision with your DCs?

(60 Posts)
XBenedict Mon 29-Apr-13 18:39:06

I didn't - am I an awful mother?

DD1 and DS have been through sats and apart from the usual reading most nights, doing homework set, playing on mathletics I didn't sit them down and do sats revision. I have a lovely (but extremely competitive friend) who can't let her DS out during the week at the moment as he's "cramming for his sats' (Y2). Tell me this isn't what everyone is doing and I have completed missed this part of my role.......please!

anuj0990 Thu 08-May-14 09:32:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lljkk Netherlands Wed 08-May-13 21:48:08

School hasn't been pushy in any way or form.

DD wants to revise because she wants Level 6s. For her own satisfaction.

She is very weird ambitious.

I am a failed pushy mom because I haven't managed to devise a whole mock L6 maths test for her. grin

Noseynoonoo Wed 08-May-13 21:42:50

Why would a child revise for SATS. What is the benefit to them? How will it positively impact on them to gain a result higher than their natural ability - serious question, genuinely confused by the idea.

Tingalingle Tue 07-May-13 11:00:01

Um, no. No specific revision. TBH even the homework gets left to her unless she really wants my help. Am slack parent. Twitch, twitch.

In my defence, her anxious older brother needs my help with his A-levels a weeny bit more than Littl'un needs help with made-up governmenty league table nonsense especially SPAG tests where even the practice questions have spelling errors.

breadandbutterfly Tue 07-May-13 10:50:31

In answer to the OP, yes,I have done work with both my dcs. My dc1 in year 6 is determined to get Level 6s and on course and very motivated to do so. I've gone through half a reading paper with her and discussed GAPS topics with her where she found them hard. We also looked at maths topics she found hard like algebra. But this has not been against her will - she is determined to get 100% in her maths tests (her decision NOT mine). And maths is her favourite subject. And yes, I have told her many times the tests test the school not her.

As for my dc in year 2, I am very reluctant indeed to do any 'academic' work with a child of this age, other than encouraging him to read and helping him learn 2/5/10 times tables.

But I have had to do work to explain how to add/subtract and have now been told by his teachers to teach him joined-up handwriting, apparently because they think this is my job. (My older dcs' teachers managed to do this quite happily in class time.)

breadandbutterfly Tue 07-May-13 10:40:26

I'm more cynical. When schools used to be judged on the 'raw scores' of how many got over Level 4 at KS2 SATS then schools tried to get as many borderline kids as possible over the Level 4 line. Brighter kids weren't really pushed to do the Level 5 because this wasn't recognised in league tables. Thus my v academic dc1 (now in year 8) was not given much support in year 6.

A couple of years ago the rules changed and league tables now measure whether children have made the 'expected progress' from their levels at KS1. This means my dc2 in year 6 - who got all Level 3s in KS1 - is now being pushed very hard to achieve Levels 5 and 6 as are most of the class (it is an unusually high-achieving class).

I've noticed a big difference with the school's approach at KS1 as a result - whilst the teachers used to encourage the brighter kids to pass L3 at KS1, my dc3 - who has been predicted level 3s at KS1, has been given no help to achieve this. I suspect this might be because if he passes, it will only raise expectations for KS2 SATS and then the school will have to make sur he passes at least Level 5 at KS2. so it is actually in the school's interest now to downgrade students at KS1 and so make their life easier at KS2.

Of course, I may be being unfair - it may not be as a result of any concerted 'plan' on behalf of the school, implicit or explicit. The lack of appropriate work he's had from the school may just be because his teachers this year are crap. Which is quite possible. Certainly, they keep giving him homework on topics he's never covered in class - either I teach him them myself (which I seem to be expected to do), or I send back sheet after sheet with notes in the margin explaining that he couldn't do it as he's never been taught it. I have had to do this with some astonishingly inappropriate ones eg the ones testing his knowledge of ALL the times tables up to 10X10. He's only 6!!! I have no intention of making him learn all his times tables by the end of year 2. hmm

notime2dance Sat 04-May-13 15:30:09

DD does the Naplan in a couple of weeks for the very first time. She is in year 5, so I brought her some Naplan Style Tests on the Ipad. If we were still in the UK, I would not have worried about it.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Sat 04-May-13 07:50:36

Regarding yr6 (I see the thread is including posts re yr6 too) it's an odd message we are sending to dc. Or at least at our school it is.

I'm constantly saying don't worry, it's not a test for you but of the school blah blah. The school are 'saying' don't worry blah blah. And yet in reality they are being pressured to worry due to the landslide of homework, leaflets home saying How To Get Through SATS, constant constant cramming, some doing specific revision papers..hmm Children aren't stupid, they know when they're being sold a bum steer.

So to sum up: It's a test that is/isn't important and that is of little or no direct benefit to the person taking it. Utterly bonkersconfusedangry

It matters to the school alright, big time. I do wish they wouldn't promote the fiction that 'it's no big deal, no of course we don't pressure our kids' (another Ofsted brownie point no doubt) when in reality they're doing the opposite.

mam29 Sat 04-May-13 02:59:51

I think it depends on schools.

if school always get good results then they out pressure on well they do here at 2very well performing state schools. freinds d year 2 in up its own arse infant school small affluent catchment has discussed and practiced sats since sept.

mine does not even know what a sat is:
very well performing oversubscribed primary school on new estate just got oustanding ofsted and its results v=baffle me with 100%success but heard they streamed, pushed ffom early age and saw amount homework they get its nuts.

dds old primary-tricky one had downgraded ofsted due to attainement ie kids suppost to make so many levels progress, sats falling not dire but not best of pack within local area.

schools response to this pile on extra homework.
start becoming pshier in class
this year advised year 6 parenst they might what to think about private tutors or exclore learning at sainsburys to boost results, extra homework and hardky any fn stuff for year 6 sad,

sue lots unhappy stressed parents an sad kids as no longer buddy time with there reception kids.

I think the pressure be too much and make situation worse.
also number of competative parents there, freind already told by year 2teacher that her july year 2 advanced and on steady level 3, she asked me what she could do to help with sats I failed to respond.

i moved my child after 1ter year 2 she made zero progress in 8weeks and year 2 teacher piled on pressure,

new small village school-no homework apart from reading.
she does maths factor and ccbbc keystage 1 games for fun.
spoke to teacher who said kids not prepared sats may ot sure when that dd has progressed still not sure enough as was slightly below expectation end of last year as need to raise 3sublevles to get to expected 2b..

But dd 1 no longer stressed and is happy.

maybe year 6 will be different but not heard any negatives,

teacher says sats sometimes how they perform on day day their end of term /year nc grading might be different.

Might be dd2 school and fact they get good results but when looked before moving got new prospectus with printed table year 2sats results so even though not published was avaialible to prospective parents an results seemed good.

Im not sure i be blase about year 6 sats but need to do some 11=prep anyway as backup for independents of dont get any decent state schools alwys imagine 11+be tougher than sats.

pointythings Netherlands Thu 02-May-13 22:06:52

I agree with Feenie - DD1 did enough SATs practice in school that I felt I ought to leave it alone at home. I also wanted the SATs to reflect where she really was, not what she had been drilled for. How demoralising is it to come into YR7, proudly brandishing your level whatever, only to be told that no, you're 2 sublevels lower?

DD1 didn't 'go backwards' in Yr7 because she came in at a level that was really her level and not a reflection of endless teaching to the test. That's how it should be.

Feenie Thu 02-May-13 21:19:12

That would be borderline 4a/5c. smile

The secondary school teachers won't thank the school for pushing children into scraping levels they aren't working securely at.

Eve Thu 02-May-13 20:59:40

Our school is cramming the kids for them, it's been in special measures a few years ago and had a few different heads, recent ofsted says needs improvement.

The new head is determined to get results. My DS is borderline 4c/5 they are working individually with a few like him to push them into 5.

Sparklymommy Thu 02-May-13 20:54:18

Prawntoast, I am quite happy that the preparation she is doing for the 11+ will be fine for the 11+, I am just wondering if the SATS follow a similar structure. We do use the Bond books and have found that the ten minute test books are particularly helpful.

MrsMelons Thu 02-May-13 19:52:52

Very true Feenie grin

I guess I am thinking of it in a different way, the professional exams I took were of course mainly knowing the syllabus but an important part of it was knowing the layout of the questions etc and practice papers were vital. I am clearly overthinking it - they are 7 FFS - duh!

Prawntoast Thu 02-May-13 15:12:58

sparkly I would imagine that the 11+ tuition will prepare her adequately for the 11+.

You could also use the Bond materials online. i found them useful for extra practice especially the VR and NVR tests.

Sparklymommy Thu 02-May-13 15:03:06

Can I ask a question? My Dd is in year 5, and currently has an hours tuition a week to prepare her for the 11+ which she will sit in September. Her school has combined classes (so she is currently in a class with year 6 pupils). I noticed on a recent newsletter that her year group will sit the SATS papers with year 6, but that they will be marked in house. I am not worried about this and think the mock test can only be seen as a positive practise.

My question is: are the SATS very different from the 11+? And is it possible for the results to be very different when I child sits both? Obviously the SATS don't have verbal reasoning, but will the SATS be of a similar level in difficulty to the 11+? Just curious really. I know that when she sits the tests me t year the school run a booster club class after school which DD will probably not be able to attend due to dance commitments but I am wondering if the 11+ tuition she is currently doing will have a similar effect.

Frikadellen Thu 02-May-13 12:43:12

No nor did we for 11+

iseenodust Thu 02-May-13 09:28:19

In yr2 the school told parents that the school wouldn't be telling the children about SATS. They would just do them without fuss and suggested we did nothing beyond the usual listening to reading with our DC. I took them at their word.

Hassled Wed 01-May-13 22:24:47

Actually I think my DS3 has benefitted enormously from the endless practice (y6) papers he's been doing at school, especially in Maths. He had a rabbit in the headlights panic reaction to tests - in Yrs 3,4 and 5 the reports have always made some comment along the lines of "disappointing test results given his obvious ability". But by doing plenty of practice tests he seems to have broken the fear barrier, so I don't think the real thing will phase him particularly.

5madthings Wed 01-May-13 22:15:42

Nothing at all and the school doesn't make a big deal out if them either.

Ds2 is about to sit his year 6 SATs and he has had one test paper for homework.

Feenie Wed 01-May-13 22:13:11

Fair enough, but I can't see how a practice test is a waste of time

Because you could spend the time actually teaching - nothing is to be gained from constant testing. You don't fatten a pig by constantly weighing it! grin

MrsMelons Wed 01-May-13 21:07:39

Fair enough, but I can't see how a practice test is a waste of time as it is still work to do in a lesson connected with what they are learning but I totally understand about the cramming and lots of practising.

The school are really relaxed about it and haven't even told the parents, I only know as DS was ill so the teacher said I could take him home as the SATs weren't till the following day.

IMO the school should be ensuring the children are reaching their potential or addressing any issues as a matter of course without the children having to do additional work at home.

MothershipG Wed 01-May-13 20:19:43

As most secondary schools don't pay much attention to SATs what's the point of cramming?

lljkk Netherlands Wed 01-May-13 20:11:12

okay, honesty now, DD brought home a mock SATs test last month & I offered to make up another version of it (extra questions) for her to do, but I got bored after designing question 4 & never did any more.

Feenie Wed 01-May-13 20:00:09

Yep - what ipad said. And the statutory requirements are there for a reason - practising is totally unnecessary and serves no purpose whatsoever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now