How unusual is it?

(29 Posts)
littlemiss06 Sat 27-Apr-13 21:48:20

To have a reading level lower than writing? Just been told my daughters end of spring levels and she's as 1c in reading but 1b in maths and writing, the teacher said its unusual to have a reading level below writing. Just wondering how unusual it is and is it likely to cause even more problems for her ( she's year two)

CalicoRose Sun 28-Apr-13 13:48:08

Maizie - I think so sometimes the opposite happens .

a child gets a label of dyslexia and then they're not given any other help rather than whatever dyslexia schemes the school are running.

So all the child's language problems, attention problems, auditory problems etc are ignored as the school wrongly think the child's problem is dyslexia.

If they didn't have a label of dyslexia maybe there other problems would be taken more seriously.

daftdame Sun 28-Apr-13 13:51:29

I think there are lots of labels which don't serve a useful purpose beyond giving a 'reason' as to why someone appears to be a little bit different and directing resource towards what is often seen as a problem (not that it need be at all).

People know a lot about how children learn / develop but the science is by no means complete. Hence, often mysterious, 'differences'.

A lot of individual skills and knowledge, some of which appears instinctive work together to allow somebody to read, write, speak etc etc. When someone does not follow the predicted pattern people look for a reason. If the 'problems' or differences are ones which have been seen before, a label is given. But then people find the differences do not fall in to predictable patterns, thus the problem with labels.

I think no matter how much expertise somebody possesses (and there is a lot helpful expertise out there) it is worth remembering how important it is to remain open minded.

mrz Sun 28-Apr-13 14:05:44

I agree with CalicoRose that sometimes the label is a barrier to a child receiving effective help ... the child is dyslexic therefore it's not my fault they aren't reading/writing as well as they should.

daftdame Sun 28-Apr-13 14:16:34

Sometimes I think there may be no 'dysfunction' whatsoever - a child may just be so strong in one area this has compensated and perhaps led to an underdevelopment in another area.

I also think people underestimate the importance of interest in a child engaging in their learning (or it is just too controversial to question!).

If the writing is good, it may be just that the child is not finding the reading material as relevant or interesting enough to engage with. All this should be investigated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now