What events and fair stalls work well for your primary's PTA?

(28 Posts)
ProbablyTerrificAssociation Fri 26-Apr-13 14:38:36

Our school PTA is looking afresh at the fair held each summer. Which stalls work well for your school in terms of attracting families to come to the fair and raising funds? We have a slight issue of some classes not really getting involved so far and therefore any ways we can bring them in would be great e.g. having a competition to raise the most between classes.

Also which other events have worked well for you?

I don't know how profitable individual stalls are, but the school always does very well at fairs (Christmas and summer). There's always a loot bag stall - party bag type bags filled with sweets and little toys, sold for a pound each. They always sell out. Old and drink at the summer one - BBQ, cake, strawberries and cream, and a bar. Inflatables for the kids, and mini go karts.

The summer one's best, and always seems to get good weather. It's a nice mix of stuff for the kids to do, food and drink, a few bits of old-school tat (to bola and jumble etc), but also a few local businesses who pay for stalls so you can actually buy something nice. wink

Christmas one does my head in cos it's all indoors and very crowded, missed a couple of years but went back last year as I'd volunteered to paint faces, and DD is old enough to be let loose with a few quid. I think this year her year will be doing games in their classroom - something the older ones do, and a handy way of making sure families turn up, you have to if your child is very proud dog their Santa hoopla, don't you? Plus both fairs have some performance elements (singing at Christmas, maypole dancing in the summer) that encourage people to show up.

Biscuitsneeded Sat 27-Apr-13 22:38:52

We always sell alcohol to parents at school fetes, discos etc. Our summer fete has live band and bar, outdoors, and is always really well attended. And for the kids you can't beat the teddy tombola. Most amusing how many Y6 boys will spend 50p to win someone else's cast-off teddy and be genuinely delighted with what they get!

Runoutofideas Sun 28-Apr-13 09:35:24

In addition to all the stalls, do you print a programme and sell advertising? Our programme raised £2000 last year in advertising fees. It was given away free on the gate and posted through local residents' doors. We have a team of people calling their contacts now and getting the ads placed for this year. Luckily we have a parent designer and parent printer who produce it for free!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now