Class Dojo

(9 Posts)
Eskino Thu 25-Apr-13 21:17:42

Hah. Although when I say it out loud its in a Liverpool accent "Dey do doh, don't Dey dojo"

Iamnotminterested Thu 25-Apr-13 17:04:55

Are you thinking of Newcastle, Eskino? people go there for a fight.

Eskino Thu 25-Apr-13 16:23:22

I'm struggling too. Thought dojo was a martial arts arena?

Iamnotminterested Thu 25-Apr-13 16:17:04

Is it just me who has no idea what a dojo is?

auntevil Wed 24-Apr-13 19:41:29

Any reward system is only as good as those who reward treat all children fairly and equitably.
Our Dojo system isn't bad, but when you look at cumulative points and the behaviour of the children with the highest and lowest, it doesn't reflect on their general overall behaviour.
So there are children who don't put their hand up at every opportunity, don't mess around and go about their day quietly and sensibly getting fewer than those who are more outgoing by nature and volunteer to do everything and those that invariably show poor behaviour, but are rewarded when they show an example of good behaviour.
But that just links back to the other thread about rewards for attendance etc. Most systems of reward do not treat all children fairly.
We did have a problem with our individual dojos being monsters. Some children did not want to be represented by a monster!
I do like the idea that there are recordable categories as to what the point was for. It means I can give points for concentrating on their own work and not being distracted or joining in with less worthwhile behaviour.
There are still those that abuse the system. All staff can give dojo points, so there may be some given during lunch, at playtime, generally around school. The child is then responsible for letting their teacher record. A couple of times I have been asked if I have given a child 4 points when in reality I had given 1. Consistency is key.

Thevelveteenrabbit Wed 24-Apr-13 14:56:39

Thanks for the replies. I think part of the problem is how it is being used in dd's classroom.
They get individual points for participation etc but dd1 says she doesn't get picked therefore doesn't get points but then if 1 person on table is chatting they all get a point taken off.
Having read the website I like the idea of whole class points and getting rewards but they are not using it like this.
Also dh went into speak to teacher yesterday and dd came home with more points than she got in all of last week - which somehow makes me even more cynical about the whole thing!!!

PastSellByDate Wed 24-Apr-13 10:16:54

Hi theveveteenrabbit

(great name & story!)

Just a parent, but yes I suggested it for our school (my brother is using it where he teaches) as a way of saving paperwork for 'merit point' system and they're running trials in both my DDs class. Class dojo seems really flexible - it can be about individual behavior but it also can be used in a whole class (whole group) way. So far, teachers & kids seem to be enjoying it - but it is a novelty still.

Like any tool it is only as creative and useful as the person using it is willing to make it.

Class dojo can send messages to parents - so they are using it with a SEN student to let the DCs mother know if DC is having a good or bad day (because mother is very concerned and with new job can't always be there after school). They are also using it to record when there are issues - as it seems to be linked to certain situations.

It can be used with whole class before starting a unit - they can agree good and bad behaviors/ outcomes/ etc... - and then understand that the behavior of the whole group results in a reward.

This was used very effectively on a field trip - good behaviors agreed in advance with children included - keeping with partner, telling an adult if you were leaving the group (i.e. to go to the loo), listening to anyone speaking to the group. Bad behaviours - were not listening, running about, not following instructions, not settling into task, talking whilst others were speaking, etc... Children helped make the list with teacher. The reward at the end of the day if they made 90% or above good behavior was an ice cream (and a non-dairy sweet for the dairy allergy folks) for everybody. They achieved 98% as a group - the teacher said BEST FIELD TRIP EVER!

DD2s class has a real problem with asking/ answering questions as a group - so at the moment they're using it to give points to children who ask questions during lessons (especially during carpet time) and for answering questions (with bonus point for giving it a go, even if they're unsure they're right). It's really helping to get the quiet ones to join in.

I think ultimately you can earn enough points to alter your monster (each child is assigned a monster character) - so if you don't like your monster or want to improve it you can. They can send reports to parents - but so far the school aren't using this facility yet - but they are considering using it for the merit point system (which previously involved signing off grid squares on a card for each child) - Teachers find it much quicker to just give points on their phone/ computer during the day and it tallies them and results can be printed as and when needed (for assemblies).

Anyway - I thought I would say that if used to encourage and explain what positive behaviors a teacher is looking for - children can understand what is expected from them and it makes it easier to achieve that as an individual or a group.

If you search on google videos there's tons out there on it (especially from US) and how it's being used - may help clarify things for you.

HTH

redskyatnight Tue 23-Apr-13 22:31:00

DS's school uses it - he is excited by though I think it makes no difference to anyone's behaviour!

Thevelveteenrabbit Tue 23-Apr-13 20:20:20

Has anyone come across this being used in their child's school?
What do you think of it - has it been useful/motivational for your child?
A student teacher has just started using it in dd1's class (mixed y3/y4) and it seems to be having the opposite effect on her - I think possibly because it isn't being used in quite the right way - from what I understand after reading the website/speaking to dd1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now