that's a genius idea - playground on the roof!

(38 Posts)

just watching breakfast tv and they're doing a report on a london primary school that has built a playground on the roof.
what a genius idea!

it's extra outside space, it's something that would otherwise be useless.
I bet a lot of the newer buildings could do that - the ones with flat rooves.
they could make them playgrounds or evenlittle gardens - the gardens would mean that education would get added in.

I love it!

really tired don't think much to that one, they bang on about getting children outside, then stick a bloody great canopy over the top, so they might well be near enough be inside....

mrz Wed 24-Apr-13 18:47:52

I couldn't do playground duty on the roof with a see through barrier [horror]

Feenie Wed 24-Apr-13 18:52:51

I am a scaredy-cat heights person too, but it's fine unless you stand next to the barrier - it's only see through from about waist height so I feel quite safe! I am sure it's always at least two degrees colder on the roof though...

mrz Wed 24-Apr-13 18:54:55

feenie I can't look out of upstairs windows grin

Feenie Wed 24-Apr-13 18:59:34

I am not great standing on chairs grin

mrz Wed 24-Apr-13 19:15:20

I can't stand on a chair grin

Feenie Wed 24-Apr-13 19:22:14

Ok, you definitely win grin

Where do you stand with spiders? grin

mrz Wed 24-Apr-13 19:56:37

I like spiders

mrz Wed 24-Apr-13 19:57:23

but not heights (or even lows) with my vertigo grin

MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 20:00:17

St Johns Blackpool has one with high fencing for juniors as its in town centre and not much space, the kids love it.

Limelight Wed 24-Apr-13 20:02:15

There's one at DS's school. Again in London. Only the older kids are allowed to at up there (years 5 and 6) and so it has MASSIVE status. My yr1 DS looks enviously skywards at it every morning when I take him to school.

shockers Wed 24-Apr-13 20:49:28

I was just coming on to say there is one at St John's in Blackpool! Doesn't Devonshire Rd have an 'upstairs' playground as well as the ground level one too?

MNBlackpoolandFylde Thu 25-Apr-13 09:53:54

I forgot about Devonshire, they won awards for the building as it has a roof garden and science station, I think there might be a pond too!

On every single level there are sheltered play decks as well as the main playgrounds.

I know the fire was bad but in the end they ended up with a much better learning environment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now