I feel like worst mum ever no school place for DT's

(14 Posts)
StinkyElfCheese Sun 21-Apr-13 13:37:50

Waited for my school letter until Friday, even checked with LL from hell in case it went there by mistake, so gave up and went to check with the school ( where DD goes) to make sure DT's are on the intake list...... they are not sad

She was really helpful as I practically fell apart in the school office and gave me a number to call at the education department - which I did there is NO record of the twins anywhere - the only solution I was given was to fill out a late entry form and send that off but the chap on the phone told me I wouldn't find out until mid june what school they will be allocated to sad

I feel like the worst mum ever - I did the twins application on paper (did dd going up a school but still linked) online and she got in no problems.

I am freaking out as there are some really really bad schools around here - and about how I will get 3 kids to dofferent schools etc....

I have filled out the form I was emailed and will hand deliver to the front desk of the building on Monday but I have no idea what happens next .

I am a 'parent helper' at the school and its a lovley lovley place the twins would be split up and I know they would thrive here I just feel like I have failed them completely sad

RandomMess Sun 21-Apr-13 13:39:49

sad

How did you submit the paper form? Hand in to the school or post it?

StealthOfficialCrispTester Sun 21-Apr-13 13:42:13

Didyou get receipts when you submitted?

StinkyElfCheese Sun 21-Apr-13 13:43:22

I am vague about what I did with it I think I gave it back to the school, although they are addiment they don't have it - I know I did it the first week I could I had some mental health problems (depression linked to mums death) and I was fixated on the kids and remember talking to DH about how I have to fill out the same information twice I should have just photocopied it smile

I may have posted it - I can't find the twins birth certificates now either so its possiable I could have sent them off with them form

StinkyElfCheese Sun 21-Apr-13 13:44:06

no receipts - I just did it as soon as I could then forgot all about it - thinking that's done - tick

StealthOfficialCrispTester Sun 21-Apr-13 13:45:43

I'm sorry sad
I don't think you should have ever been handing it to the school, surely it should have gone to the LA?
I hope you get something sorted

StinkyElfCheese Sun 21-Apr-13 13:53:42

I m due to go and help in dd class at school tomorrow , so I will ask the office if they are 'full' they take 3 classes x 30 or how long the waiting lists is sad

I am just running through all possiable schools and the only one local I know will be under is awfull .... kids swearing, parents not bothered most stand outside school with a fag on the go in their slippers screaming at xxx to fucking hurry up sad It dosn't mater how good the teachers are if the kids don't want to learn or are not well behaved what hope have they got? there was even an incident of parents attacking the lollypop man sad

tiggytape Sun 21-Apr-13 14:27:25

If you really have no proof of the forms being sent and received by the LA, I do not think you would win an appeal (if you could prove they had lost the forms and it had cost you the twin's places, you could have appealed)

Get new forms filled in quick. First thing tomorrow. And hand them in personally at the LA (and get a receipt).
The reason for being quick is, with a sibling at the school already, your twins should be top of the waiting list once your fresh applications are processed.
But if you delay filling in new forms, by the time they are processed, the LA might have started handing out places from the waiting list. You want to make sure you are on the lists as soon as possible so they don't run out of places before you can get added.

StinkyElfCheese Sun 21-Apr-13 14:31:21

thankyou - I have already filled out forms sent although not convinved they were the right ones - there is a whole page about why child is leaving school / bullying etc.. ?

I will be handing them in personally to the office tomorrow - would it be worth contacting health visitor ? she helped me find places for the twins at nursery school? ( they go to a council run one 9-2 mon-fri) as all places were full when I went to register when they were 1.

They are December born and according to nursery are more than ready to go to school

tiggytape Sun 21-Apr-13 14:41:35

StinkyElf - the forms you describe are admissions forms used for "in-year" applicants (people applying for a place outside the normal admissions round).
They are the same forms as the ones used by people who decide they don't like their school and want to move to another one which is why they ask about bullying etc (even though they shouldn't but that's a whole other thread) so they sound like the correct forms.

Your Health Visitor cannot really help in terms of getting a place.
With school admissions, it is all very formal and to the letter of the law.
There is no discretion for the HV to ask (or for the Head Teacher to allow) two extra pupils to be squeezed in. It is all done via the council and follows strict rules about admissions criteria, cut-off dates and waiting list procedure etc.

Make sure you remind nag daily the LA to process your new applications as fast as poosible so that your children are officially in the system and added to the waiting lists.
Waiting lists go in the order of admission criteria. They are not first come, first served.

So your twins (with a sibling at the school) will get put to the top of the list above all the other people who are currently on it. You want this to happen quickly because in a week or so, any spare places at the school will be handed out to the people at the top of this list. There is no discretion for the Head to just give the places to you direct. You have to make sure you are on this list to get places.

randomtask Sun 21-Apr-13 14:42:14

No practical advice - apart from it sounds like you have a mid year transfer form, however;

Definitely not the worst Mum ever. One of DS's friends got no secondary school as his (slightly crazy/dramatic) Mum forgot to send off her DS's form (found it on kitchen table after), they lived in the middle of nowhere school wise so would have been near bottom of most lists anyway and, she works in a school so should have known about forms coming in. Her comment when telling me this in front of nervous looking son was 'it might be a sign we should do something else'.

How awful for you.

Just a comment to add to tiggy 's excellent advice: they will not be split up. If a place becomes available and your DTs are top of the list (highly likely, having a sibling) then they will both be admitted even though this takes the class to 31.

Hope that eases your mind a bit. I also hope it can all be sorted very quickly.

StinkyElfCheese Mon 22-Apr-13 15:57:18

I have been to the admissions. Office today to hand in the forms. The lovely chap has calmed me down alot and explained what will happen with a sibling link and the fact they are twins and the school we are applying for is a community-based school he thinks they may have a good chance of getting in.... I have to wait untill 1 st may he has promised to phone me I have said I will call at 10 if he hasn't smile

Feel slightly better after he suggested I downgrade myself from shere panic to mild anxiety smile

I am a bit confused that you are applying via the school - normally the Local Authority coordinates everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now