Christchurch school surbiton

(9 Posts)
literarygeek Sun 28-Apr-13 23:42:34

Thanks, yomella - am coaching dd in scooting longer distances at the mo!

And yes to duvet days! That sounds amazing but somehow I can't picture it....

yomellamoHelly Sun 28-Apr-13 14:12:39

Wouldn't worry about the size of it tbh. They tend to keep to the same class as they go up the school, so in some ways like a smaller school. Our experience is that they'll give your child extra support / help if needed and it's easy to speak to the staff if you have any concerns. Used to worry that they very much followed the NC, but it has improved over the last few years so don't have many complaints. I just wonder how long the building work will drag on for!
FWIW we also used to live 20-25 mins away. Ds struggled for a few weeks, but he had a scooter and we used to stop at the playground on the way back my way of incentive when the weather was good. Also gave him a snack to fuel him up as he came out the door. And he survived! Am sure your dd will get used to it. We weren't the only ones doing it either. (Could be quite sociable.)
Our dd is starting this year too and is late born and young for her age. I doubt it's not anything they haven't seen before. Am expecting she'll be needing a few duvet days at first.

literarygeek Sat 27-Apr-13 09:06:00

Thanks again TEMK, thanks

I think we will probably stick with it- I know we're lucky to have got it.

Now just have to convince DD about the blue uniform! wink

TEMK Sat 27-Apr-13 08:42:55

Ah yes. I have friends of friends who have older children at Christ Church and they are very happy.

I don't know anyone at St John's. St Matthew's a mixed bag...I know one mum who loves it and another who disliked it so much she took her Dd out.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

literarygeek Sat 27-Apr-13 07:32:38

Thanks, TEMK - I was aware of all the on-paper good reasons- but you know how it is when you don't know anyone that actually goes there!

TEMK Thu 25-Apr-13 11:11:36

It is a great school. My Dd also has a place in Reception this September and we are over the moon, we never thought we would get in. Based on Stats (OFSTED reports, percentage of pupils achieving level 4 etc), Christ Church and Malden Parochial are the best in the south of the borough. Check out www.locrating.com and you will see how schools in the area compare. Of course the feel of the school is just as important as the stats and if you liked Christ Church when you visited, then that should count for a lot too!

Hope this helps....perhaps see you at the school gate in September????

literarygeek Fri 19-Apr-13 16:34:22

Thanks, omni.
They had a bulge year so we were lucky in that regard. St. John's is much closer for us, and also st Matthews. We are church goers but CC doesn't give priority for that unless you go to Christchurch. In that respect I admire that, since they say that they prefer to serve the community than just give all church places.

Omnishambolic Fri 19-Apr-13 15:43:14

It's a good school (and I'm astounded you got in if you live 20-25 min away - are you church attenders? In previous years its distance category has been very tight). I know two people with children in reception this year and they're both happy.

Which others do you have down?

literarygeek Fri 19-Apr-13 15:12:59

Hi all
I just wondered if anyone had experience of this school. Dd has a place there got September. It was one of our choices because I really liked it when we visited and I had heard good things on the grapevine.
But we put it lowish because I was a little concerned it's a bit far. Will be a 20-25 min walk and I worry that's too long. Also dd will be quite little for her year and I wasn't sure how easy it would be to fit in to a comparatively larger school. I don't know anyone that actually has kids there which is why I'm appealing to you guys!
We're quite high on the waiting list for 2 others... Should I just be happy and relieved to have this place and get on with it?
Thanks in advance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now