N1 primary schools - private or state - please help decide

(14 Posts)
momacharlie Fri 19-Apr-13 14:26:08

Have any of you grappled with the state/private decision in N1? We are trying to decide between William Tyndale, The Childrens House and St Christophers for my DD. The decision for DS would be TCH, Hereward House, or of course William Tyndale. If they went to TCH I think top choice at 7+ would be St Pauls as it's coed (or we'd chance our arm with a space coming up at St Christophers/Hereward)...although I'm tempted to ding the Hampstead schools at least for now because of the school run which looks pretty onerous (we both work and can't see how the commute would work around our hours without having a nanny or hideous logistical issues confused). Which leaves TCH/Tyndale. I'm really tempted by Tyndale (easy to walk to, local friends, free(!), impressive head, friendly kids, and it's just had an outstanding ofsted) but am a bit worried about what happens at 11 and whether it disadvantages getting into a private secondary (esp for boys), which I think we're probably wedded to. Can anybody please persuade me that Tyndale is the right option?! Other than the 11+ concern, I REALLY don't want to spend the next few years thinking I might have made the wrong decision. Also DH was v into sport at school and would like competitive sport to be available, which I think would be missing from William Tyndale? All our friends in the area have kids in Hampstead/City schools so we'd be going out on a limb a bit. Any first hand advice gratefully received.

Farewelltoarms Fri 19-Apr-13 14:44:36

There's a very useful thread called something like 'I've applied to too many schools N1' which discusses exactly this.
Just to add to what I've put I'm other thread - you'll never know if you've made the right decision as you can't ever see the parallel universe. However, I decided that I could always do 7 or 8+ if I didn't like the state school after a couple of years. However if I started in private I'd never do the other way round. As it is, I'd have never wanted to move my dcs out of state until 11, but I found having the option comforting when we made the initial decision.

momacharlie Fri 19-Apr-13 21:06:08

Farewelltowarms - thank you. That is really helpful advice.

expansivegirth Sat 20-Apr-13 09:13:21

farewell to arms - i made a similar choice. i also wanted the kids to have a community nearby - which we do - small catchment so lots of friend all around the place - and it's FREE.... (and a good state school with an ethos I preferred to the more intense, academic private schools).

and i couldn't be bothered to drive the kids to school. they were four when they started at primary, young and tired. i wanted them to have a good nights sleep and time to play at the end of the day. not a dreadful haul through traffic and phonics homework.

I am aware at every stage that I have the choice to move (although the older the kids get the more competitive the places in the private sector - early on it's all potential - later on they have to prove themselves and are up against kids who have learned stuff your kids just won't).

catastrophewaitress Sat 20-Apr-13 14:14:51

Aargh, wrote a long reply and lost it. Tyndale. Because worrying about 11+ is just not necessary at this stage. Walk to school, make friends locally (incidentally if you go to Tyndale you will find that you balance out your circle of friend with people who have similarly high educational aspirations as your friends who use the private system but just go state, so your last problem will go away). Then if you're really stressed about it book a tutor from Yr 4. Good luck.

CruCru Sat 20-Apr-13 15:55:25

Hey momacharlie - I am the OP in the "N1 - think I've applied to too many schools" thread and am in a very similar position to you. I've had some very helpful advice on my thread.

momacharlie Sat 20-Apr-13 18:12:13

Thanks so much all of you. I really appreciate it. I'm driving myself slightly mad going round in circles trying to make a decision. Free and close to home are very strong driving factors. The idea of play dates in queens park makes my head fizz. I'm guessing tutoring from tyndale to private secondary is widely done? And at what age does that start?

momacharlie Sat 20-Apr-13 18:15:01

Sorry catastophewaitress just realised you said yr4 for tutors

wonderingagain Sat 20-Apr-13 18:19:55

If you can afford to, go private. No point in using up a place at an oustanding primary that could benefit a child with fewer choices.

couldwinterstopnowplease Sat 20-Apr-13 19:26:02

I find that kind of argument ridiculous wonderingagain. If the OP pays her taxes she's entitled to a state school place if she wants one and can fairly get one.

momacharlie Sat 20-Apr-13 19:34:33

Really interesting view wonderingagain. I'm going to start a new thread to see what other MNs think.

wonderingagain Sat 20-Apr-13 20:34:16

grin

Bitzer Wed 24-Apr-13 20:58:37

Have just put a lengthy message on the other thread so if you're still undecided do go and have a look but, in short, I have DC at Tyndale. There are lots of parents in N1 agonising over the same decision. Personally I'm v happy with WT (have taken one DC out of Children's House to go there, and know others who've done the same): very close, academically and pastorally very strong, and free! Very best of luck with your decision.

Think the 'moral' argument is nonsense

wewontbebulliedanymore Thu 10-Apr-14 14:21:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now