Is the threat of removing a 5/6 yr old's lunch for not eating it within a small timescale standard practice?

(34 Posts)
Goldenbear Thu 18-Apr-13 16:31:18

My DS (5) has told me that a TA told his table and others that their food would be removed if they hadn't eaten it within the next minute. DS is a slowish eater but he did eat his lunch, his friend although wanted to finish his lunch had it removed. They were late into lunch because the class was kept in to practice tidying up and sitting down properly. Ds said there was hardly any time to eat. Does this sound harsh or normal?

Periwinkle007 Thu 18-Apr-13 20:09:47

yep. they combine 2 classes in one room for lunch, they have to, there physically isn't anywhere else, the hall is small for the size of the school now so just does the 2 or 3 hot lunch sittings and the others get combined and have to sit on the floor or tables (if they can get a space but obviously 2 classes into 1....) or outside on the playground. I am not impressed but I don't see what the school can do. things like this will only become more common as schools get more and more pushed for space. one of the schools near us is losing its library this year to accommodate another class! I tried sending my daughter in with salads and quiche and things for variety from sandwiches but she said it was too difficult to eat without a table so we are back with sandwiches or wraps

MNBlackpoolandFylde Thu 18-Apr-13 20:35:50

Yes dds old school used to make them sit on the floor to eat too, only they did not have hot dinners facilities (tiny school) so all children had packed lunches or hot food in a flask and they did not have enough seats.

I did not realise this until I asked why then infant dd was covered in soup and pasta on her lap as well as her top.

MandragoraWurzelstock Thu 18-Apr-13 20:40:47

This sounds very poor indeed. Sending a class of 5yos in to lunch LATE and then punishing them if they didn't finish their lunch?

FFS

I'd be having words, sorry

Goldenbear Thu 18-Apr-13 21:08:15

Yes, they were my first thoughts - pretty much but I didn't know if I was being precious.

whatsleep Thu 18-Apr-13 21:16:37

When my dd was in reception I made a fool of myself with the dinner ladies as dd was telling a few white lies regarding not being given enough time to eat etc......I'm not saying your ds is fibbing but don't make the mistake I made, tread carefully until you know all the facts! We now have the issue of the hot dinners running out before all of the children have been served.....school dinners are a minefield, Packed lunches all the way now!

Goldenbear Thu 18-Apr-13 21:30:04

Yes he could be embellishing or misunderstood the reasoning behind his friend's lunch being taken. I'm going to ask the Mum of this boy if she knows anything.

BoffinMum Thu 18-Apr-13 21:32:49

Remember you have the right to bring your children home for lunch if they are reduced to pouring it over their laps as they grovel on the floor. wink

lljkk Fri 19-Apr-13 10:48:06

You must ask the school how they do this before getting yourself wound up. It sounds like childish exaggeration crazy to me. First sitting gets an hour to eat at our school plus they can finish in classroom after that. Second sitting (age 8+ for us) gets 25-35 minutes to eat.

Still18atheart Fri 19-Apr-13 11:01:40

YANBU it's harsh

I was a slow eater at primary and I remember them doing this to me. I hated it then and would hate it if they did it to my lo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now