Reception Waiting Lists...

(124 Posts)
Pyrrah Thu 18-Apr-13 13:28:16

Does anyone want to join me in obsessing and fretting over the waiting list for the school they didn't get?

LA just told me that we are no. 47 on the list for ours.

Given that I'm nearly 1200 metres outside the last distance offered for last year and this is central London I'm a bit shocked.

At this point every child who had the school as a higher preference than the one they were allocated is automatically on the waiting list whether is was 1st, 2nd, 3rd or whatever choice, and today is before many people will have accepted places so I'm really shocked that I'm not 150th.

LA were also lovely and told me I could ring anytime to check DD's position on the list.

(How often a week is too often? grin)

Kt8791 Wed 15-May-13 08:48:56

3rd on the waiting, so fingers crossed!

eastegg Wed 15-May-13 10:20:43

We're now well after the deadline for accepting offers and I've phoned my first and second choice, 1st says we're still 12th as we were on offer day but that the list may need updating! 2nd choice says we're 20th and that was the first time I'd asked actually. This is inner London. We got 4th choice.
Thing is, 2nd May is actually a fairly irrelevant date when you think about it, because if you were going down the private route but hanging on to a state offer in case, or in the throes of moving house, you'd accept your state offer. We shouldn't be downhearted if there hasn't been much movement yet.

Pyrrah Wed 15-May-13 12:09:55

Still at 44th... council people still sounding pleased to hear from me and don't just answer the phone with 'Mrs Pyrrah, 44th, bye-bye'... yet...

However, in London there doesn't seem to be an opt in/out for the waiting lists, so there may be people ahead of you on the list who wouldn't actually take the place if it was offered to them.

I thought that after 31st August it was opt-in, but council have just said that they forward the whole list to the schools and it carries on like. V annoying.

Lozario, 5th for a 90 intake is pretty good, especially considering your borough which is prob high mobility like mine. Would not be surprised if you are in pre-September.

My consolation is that the school we got and the school we want both have the same colour uniform so isn't going to cost me a fortune!

Good luck to all on lists, hope they move soon.

fatfloosie Wed 15-May-13 15:12:24

I was on the waiting list for DD's preferred school last year and the LA were quite happy to give me a breakdown of how many there were in each category above DD. I found it useful to know how many were in the siblings categories, as they are unlikely to turn down any places that come up, even when they've started at another school, so it gave me an idea of the absolute minimum number of places that would need to come up before DD might get one. Far too many as it turned out!

Good luck! I hope you either (a) get the school you want or (b) end up loving the school you've got, as we did.

notcitrus Wed 15-May-13 18:05:06

lozario Saw 3rd choice today. Seems very nice, children seem a nice bunch learning stuff, buildings are good and a real perk is extra playground, nature zone and a playing field right on the site. V rare in London. Lots of music and sport and great art judging by the displays.

But big problem is they are just starting on the new building (which is leaving the above intact), and so for various reasons the before and after school care is cancelled for at least next year. They may have a plan by July as half the school parents are hacked off... Local childminders don't pick up/drop off there as too far away.

I suppose it's probably only a year, but a pain. Still, as a school for ds it should be good. I know other parents who really wanted it but didn't get in.

eastegg Wed 15-May-13 21:48:58

lozario we're in Lambeth too. Which area are you? We're West Norwood

Lozario Thu 16-May-13 08:57:56

eastegg We're West Dulwich. Have sent you a PM!

ninaprettyballerina Fri 17-May-13 14:32:35

Still 6th today. The thing about our offers though was there were no deadlines and so I don't really know when I'm likely to see any movement. The only deadline was for appeals.
I've taken his name off the other waiting list as it just added to the uncertainty. So at least now I know it's definitely either school A or school B. I feel better about that.
Anyone else have any news??

Lozario Fri 17-May-13 15:01:25

Still 5th here. LA told me there is usually lots of movement so I should definitely ring every week to get updates. That will be my Friday afternoon job from now on!
citrus what number intake is the school that you're 5th for? Ours is 90 and it's given me hope that the woman you spoke to was very encouraging that you might get a place before Sept?

jellysmum77 Fri 17-May-13 17:40:21

We still haven't been able to find out where we are on the list (to be honest I have given up asking and being told they can't tell me). Maybe I will try again next week.
I did find out though that there were 32 first preference applications for 30 places so I don't think there will be too many on the waiting list.Obviously I know people who had it as 2nd/3rd choice may also be on the list but we are lucky in that all the schools in the area are good , the only reason I so desperately want my son to go there is because his sister will be there, otherwise I would have been more than happy with the allocated school!!

queenfromars Fri 17-May-13 20:33:31

Still first here too, and no deadlines either so not sure when (if) there will be any movement.

notcitrus Sat 18-May-13 14:07:42

lozario 30 intake that we're eligible for (other 30 reserved for qualifying Christian parents). But it's the sort of area many people live in until they buy a house in Dulwich, with very high turnover - only 1/4 of Y5 were in reception, I think. And no idea if secretary will be right - we were told our street should definitely be close enough to get in at the open day! They've had 2 bulge class years so last 2 years were lucky and now we're competing with their siblings.

Lozario Wed 22-May-13 14:16:23

Feeling so proud that I haven't caved yet and rung this week. Determined to make it until Friday!!!

JustOneMoreBite Thu 23-May-13 13:21:40

At last, just found out where we are for our first choice - 19th sad

I think it's probably time to start getting excited about the school we got instead. It's a good school, there are just several things about it which I'm not keen on. Godbothering being the major one (it's fairly full-on CofE), plus the fact that we'll need to rethink childcare for DD2 because our current nursery is in the opposite direction.

So irritating that we'd definitely have got into our first choice any year before this - like notcitrus we're suffering from two previous bulge years. Oh well, off I go to start checking out childminders. Good luck to those still hanging in there!

Lozario Thu 23-May-13 13:44:29

Just it's still worth ringing them in a month or so as apparently a few more drop out around the time they are required to meet the teachers etc. How are you feeling about allocated school? Sympathies - we were nailed by previous bulge year too!

<sits on hands again to stop ringing council>

queenfromars Thu 23-May-13 20:22:50

Its mini admissions round tommorowm according to my councils website - trying not to get my hopes up....

Hi queen. What council?

I am trying to find out where my son is on the waiting list for our first choice but the school won't return my calls or reply to my email. Hopeless!

Lozario Thu 23-May-13 21:45:11

Queen what does that mean? A new wave of offers now they have acceptances/declines?

Lozario Fri 24-May-13 10:01:34

Still 5th here sad

At last got through to the school and we are second on the waiting list...We have got to our fourth choice but its over a mile away so here's hoping.

lozario sorry to hear that you are still fifth. I am sure it'll change next week.

Lozario Fri 24-May-13 21:20:01

abu thanks - at least I didn't go down the list I guess! 2nd is a great position - what is the intake of the school?

lozario it's 60 entry but we are only eligible for 30 places (open). The rest are for Christian families. Sounds similar to notcitrus upthread. Not to keen on the religious aspect but its the nearest, most convenient and its a nice school. So we will see.

notcitrus Sun 26-May-13 10:07:35

abu Are we looking at the same school? I+A?

notcitrus, at the risk of outing myself...yes! I & SA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now