Is DD1 behind?

(36 Posts)
Onemole Tue 09-Apr-13 11:10:31

I have dd1 (5.2) in primary 1 (Scotland) and dd2 (3.1) due to start school nursery in August. Also have ds (11 months).

At parents' night I was delighted to hear that dd1 has settled well and made friends. I didn't ask about reading and counting as I didn't think it really mattered at this stage.

At the teacher's suggestion, we go over letter sounds at home and dd1 now knows most of them. She can also recognise her name and a couple of words but cannot blend. She can count by rote to ten and objects to 5.

The teacher didn't raise any concerns. Perhaps this is because dd1 is youngest in class?

Dd2 is a different kettle of fish. Knows all letter sounds and recognises hundreds of words though cannot blend (to my knowledge). She counts past 20 by rote, recognises numerals to 20 and counts objects until about 12 before getting lost. Unfortunately she is March born and will be oldest in year.

I wasn't worried until I looked on mumsnet because it seems like DD1 is miles behind most 5 year olds. Can any primary teachers give me a second opinion?

Onemole Tue 16-Apr-13 22:03:56

Thanks for the alphablocks suggestion, cloutiedumpling. I'll definitely give that a go. I'm going to ask her teacher if there's anything more we could be doing at home to guide her along a bit.

Taffeta - Yes, I would agree that being youngest in year certainly makes a difference at just 5. And I think you're right about most of the children posted about here being above average. Dd2 is more of a mumsnet child I suppose! I had assumed wrongly though, that on a primary education forum, most of the questions would be concerning the strugglers, not the high flyers.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Wed 17-Apr-13 03:17:58

At parents evening DD's teacher said that DD was behind, that she was working at the level they'd expect of a three year old, and that we should do extra homework to try to help her to meet their end of year targets for all reception children. Apparently everyone else is two bookbands above her.

I have found it hard to figure out from looking at mumsnet whether DD is actually terribly behind, or if she is fine (which is my own view) and I am safe to ignore her teacher and not worry and panic.
DD is one of the youngest and I think we've just ended up at a pushy school.

They are so little still!

mrz Wed 17-Apr-13 06:59:29

I wouldn't be expecting three year olds to be reading any book band so it does seem an odd thing to say. I'm assuming she is working at 36 months on the EYFS developmental matters. I would suggest making an appointment with the teacher outside of parents evening to find out where they believe she has specific difficulties.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Wed 17-Apr-13 08:53:28

Thanks mrz, sorry to thread hijack!

learnandsay Wed 17-Apr-13 10:43:38

If the school wants the children to progress at the same bookband rate (whether an ambitious rate or a conservative one) then (a) the school is daft and (b) it's their job to make this ridiculous aspiration a reality not the job of the parents. The fact is that some children can read better than others. And calling children as able as a three year old isn't going to change that. It's just going to make the parents feel bad.

TeenAndTween Wed 17-Apr-13 12:20:01

I listen to year R readers in my DDs average primary school. (nice town, least good school, mixed catchment).
From your description, your DD1 would be in the bottom 5 of the class.

BUT it is not a race. Some children get blending later than others, and being young does make a difference. By the end of Y2, there were some in my DD2s class who had been like your daughter who had really 'got it' and had overtaken others who initially were doing better.

Just keep up the practice, little and often, keep it fun, and I expect it will come in its own time.

Onemole Wed 17-Apr-13 16:01:25

Thanks for your replies.

I had a word with the teacher today.

Dd1 is working in the lowest attainment group at the minute but she is making progress. She's not worried about SEN, and says that she is just very young for the class and she'll get it all in good time. After all if Dd1 had been born a few minutes later she wouldn't be at school yet! We are going to carry on with the home support as we were doing.

The teacher also said that she is very kind to the other children, always polite and has a beautiful singing voice. There's my boast for the day!

Aargh, wait until she gets Dd2 - tone deaf and shouty!

Jinsei Wed 17-Apr-13 17:16:43

Kind and polite beats bookbands any day in my opinion! She sounds lovely OP. smile

Onemole Wed 17-Apr-13 19:51:49

Thanks Jinsei. I'm sure her social skills will stand her in good stead.

Periwinkle007 Wed 17-Apr-13 20:09:02

she is doing fine then from the sound of things and I agree, polite and kind goes a lot further than being the best reader in the class. My daughter was a matter of hours from being the year above so she will equally be skewing her class the opposite way to your daughter. Age counts for so much in the first couple of years at school. You are right to be proud of her (and yourself) for the politeness and kindness as well as the effort! much more important.

Onemole Wed 17-Apr-13 20:43:52

Thanks Periwinkle, yes age does count for a lot (sorry that should say one day and a few minutes up thread but Ds was climbing on me at the time!) Her classmates who are six seem so much more mature, especially the girls.

Of course, I am pleased that Dd2 manages everything so easily. You just need to tell her what a word says once or twice and she just knows it but oddly enough I'm more proud of Dd1 for trying hard! I'm really pleased she's doing so well socially too.

Thanks to everyone who helped out and prodded me into checking with the teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now