Islington primary schools - can't decide.

(14 Posts)
Eartha20 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:30:36

We can't decide between William Tyndale Primary and Gower School Montessori Primary. We love the Montessori system at the Gower, where our little one has been accepted, but we've heard some not great things about it. William Tyndale is sounding ok. The thing is, it's right on our doorstep and it's the ease of the school run and getting involved in school life that appeals (after school play dates, etc). Any thoughts?

frogs Tue 09-Apr-13 09:05:41

Tyndale, without question. Even leaving aside the money and the practicality, it's a lovely broad-based education in a bouncy, enthusiastic environment with a good mix of pupils. If you can get in there, there's no reason to look elsewhere.

I've never met anyone who got excited about the Gower school - people seem to like the nursery (which is on a different site), but never heard anyone enthuse about the primary school.

Farewelltoarms Tue 09-Apr-13 10:50:03

Ditto Frogs. Don't underestimate the loveliness of going to your local state school - you cannot replicate its benefits anywhere else. I'd only swap it for the most tip top tried and tested private school with amazing grounds.
From what I gather, the Gower isn't that. Without wishing to slag it off (though the many families I know who've pulled their children out would be happy to), I don't think it offers you a good enough alternative to justify sacrificing all the benefits of a local school, especially a good one like Tyndale.

catastrophewaitress Thu 11-Apr-13 14:03:43

Tyndale. I have looked at both, DC ended up elsewhere in the borough. A proper school with excellent facilities, good results and lovely-looking DC. Know several people with DC there and they've all been happy and supportive of the school. If it's on your doorstep, it's a no brainer, really.
Gower provides good wrap around care and holiday care which may be attractive to working parents, but the Holiday Club there is actually open to kids who go to other schools so you could send DC there during the summer regardless.

CruCru Sat 13-Apr-13 09:50:27

I'm so pleased that people are saying nice things about William Tyndale as it is our local school.

Eartha20 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:48:38

I can't say how useful this is. Just one thing, castrophewaitress. What does DC mean?

Eartha20 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:49:42

Ah, just found out.

Bitzer Mon 15-Apr-13 22:00:27

Late to this thread but another vote for WT here. Have one DC there and another hopefully starting at the nursery in September. So far it has been great both academically and pastorally. Feel incredibly lucky to have such a good school on our doorstep

Eartha20 Tue 16-Apr-13 21:24:31

Great. Thank you so so much, all. Have been tearing my hair out. Not any more.

Forwardscatter Tue 16-Apr-13 22:22:57

We couldn't bear TGS when we visited it and have friends who took their DC out because they were unhappy with it. And we've heard similar from others (albeit unverified stories). But have only heard good things re WT.

hairyyoni Tue 16-Apr-13 22:26:23

William Tyndale! I went there (a very long time ago) and loved it. At the time it was
where all the rich labourites sent their children. Lots of famous faces

CruCru Thu 18-Apr-13 13:06:48

Hi all

It is worth having a look on WT's website as they have had their Ofsted inspection (published in March 2013) and they got outstanding in all four areas. It was a nice read.

nevergiveupever Mon 03-Mar-14 19:23:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

wewontbebulliedanymore Thu 10-Apr-14 14:20:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now