Is it just us or is Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator awful?

(27 Posts)
BirdyBedtime Mon 08-Apr-13 15:50:22

DD (P3) has been working through Roald Dhal books this year - I didn't read any of these as a child so have really been enjoying them (Fantastic Mr Fox, The Twits, CATCF). But now she has CATGGE - and it's awful! We've read 6 chapters and we hate it. DD is finding some of it really tricky - mainly because it's either very un-pc or un-funny jokes. Is it just us? They read about 3 or 4 chapters a week so we're going to be stuck with it for weeks yet. I'm dreading reading time - any ideas to get through it and more importantly not let it put DD off?

BirdyBedtime Wed 10-Apr-13 16:59:35

They do seem to be a bit fixed on RD at the school. They started after Christmas with Fantastic Mr Fox, then The Twits, CATCF and now GGE as reading books, they've done Danny and George's Marvellous Medicine as class books and DD is reading Matilda in ERIC (?) time. I agree that there are many other genres and authors they could explore but as it's a multi-class (4) year they do shared planning and AFAIK P3 is RD year!!

Molehillmountain Wed 10-Apr-13 19:46:24

I'm embarrassed to say dd and I have given up on it. The Phantom Tollbooth is proving far more fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now