Has anyone withdrawn their child from religious worship at school?

(59 Posts)

Not RE. I think RE is an important part of a balanced curriculum smile

Just from being made to actually pray every day.

Wellthen Wed 10-Apr-13 09:51:47

Fair enough, VC schools aren't funded. But really, its not abusive. You're making yourself sound hysterical.

OP you say your daughter doesn't want to say the words and is clear in her own beliefs - so she has been indoctrinated how?

CountingClouds Wed 10-Apr-13 10:38:43

Obviously some people think 'benign' religious views taught as fact in schools isn't abusive. Would you take that opinion for all religious views of all religions can be taught as fact? And who decides what a religious view is? And what point do we draw the line between naturals fact and supernatural opinions? There are many ideas in religion that are abusive to be taught as fact to children.

I personally don't go quite as far as to call it abusive, though I get where you are coming from.

But I certainly think it is manipulative and to some extent exploitative and coercive.

In the same way that minors cannot sign up to a political party and should not be made to chant political slogans or taught political manifestos as truth in schools, I think religion should not hold that place in state funded education.

I think children shouldn't be advertised to, and that includes the state funded/sanctioned advertising of religion in schools.

I know I'm onto a loser there but I'm trying to work out the best way of minimising the impact of it on my children whilst still getting the school education that they are entitled to.

CountingClouds Wed 10-Apr-13 11:11:19

Queen, not wanting to split hairs but ...

You agree it is manipulating, exploiting and coercing children. How is that not abuse?

AbbyR1973 Wed 10-Apr-13 12:23:59

Of course it isn't abusive. What an entirely ridiculous thing to say. I deal professionally with the awful realities of genuine child abuse unfortunately. What an extraordinarily ignorant statement to make. It takes a lot to make me cross but thats just done it. Grrr. Sorry rant over.

AmberSocks Wed 10-Apr-13 12:31:22

there is no such thing as a non religious school in this country,all state schools by law have to have some kind of group worship,unfortunately.

CountingClouds Wed 10-Apr-13 12:31:53

Just because it isn't 'serious' abuse doesn't mean it isn't abuse.

When men exploit women is it ok as long as its, not to serious?
When you allow some exploitation you open the door to more, where do you draw the line?

A child taught to believe in, for example the bible, can grow up to use it as justification to espouse "Spare the rod, spoil the child"

CountingClouds Wed 10-Apr-13 13:05:37

However every parent has the right to have their children excused from worship in any state-funded school. By integrating religion into other aspects of the school day they are denying parents this legal right.

Wellthen Wed 10-Apr-13 17:38:13

Where has the OP said they are being intergrated into the the rest of the day? I'm sorry but I think you're incorrect, worship might happen at any time. Many schools say grace before a meal. Its not hard for children to simply step out of the room for a minute so therefore the right is not denied.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now