NFER Tests?

(3 Posts)
lunar1 Mon 08-Apr-13 12:18:29

I had a letter today that DS1 will be doing NFER progress tests in June. Does anybody know what this involves? he is in the EYFS and wont be 5 until October.

He can read red band books really well and can write his name but thats about it, what on earth can the be testing a 4 year old on and what format will it be?

Im really hoping that it will just be a really informal test but it has surprised me as i didn't realise they had any tests this early. If it makes a difference its an independent school and he is in the KG year. In everything else they have been following the normal early years curriculum.

Labro Mon 08-Apr-13 13:14:13

Hi there,
Independent schools use this sort of test to measure progress as they might not use national curriculum levels. Check with the teacher what sort of tests they are, would imagine more talking etc rather than 'tests' (NFER publish the verbal and non verbal reasoning tests for 11+ if that helps?)

lunar1 Mon 08-Apr-13 18:50:41

Thanks labro, I spoke to them briefly today apparently it's literacy and numeracy and the teacher will take them out of the class in small groups of 2 or 3 to do the test. I would still like to know more about it though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now