Ks1 sats info please

(55 Posts)
zoomie Sat 06-Apr-13 22:27:15

Hi, any teacher out there that can please help?

If a child achieves a level 2a are they automatically given the level 3 paper to do and would it be given on the same day?
During the sats week is there an order in which type of paper is given first - maths, English then reading?
Also in regards to the level 3 paper how much time is the child given to complete it? i noticed there is quite a large amout to read. Is the child asked to read the whole story first then answer the questions but able to
Refer back or is it completed in sections?
Thanks!

TeamEdward Sun 07-Apr-13 00:21:15

If a child misses a test then, as long as the teacher's other assessments are secure, they may not need to take it at a later time although most schools do fit it in somewhere!

simpson Sun 07-Apr-13 00:45:32

Teamedward - exactly that's what I mean. The teacher should have a good grasp of what a child can do (according to class work etc).

Don't think the child took the test later, but cannot be 100% sure.

sunnyday123 Sun 07-Apr-13 16:50:59

My dd has recently sat a maths mock sat paper and the teacher said she got a 2a too but is still only sitting the level 2 paper. She said this was to stop unnecessary pressure at only year 2 as its raises expectations much higher afterwards. She is sitting level 3 for reading though so presume the teacher thinks her maths is not as strong.

To be fair I have given her a few maths mocks at both level 2 and level 3 and IMO the level 3 is a massive jump and dd didnt know that many and did get frustrated! I've stuck to level 2 as I don't want her to lose confidence unnecessarily as I always hated maths and don't want her to be the same!

Feenie Sun 07-Apr-13 16:56:20

To be fair I have given her a few maths mocks at both level 2 and level 3

Why?????

sunnyday123 Sun 07-Apr-13 17:04:33

Her teacher actually asked me to! to get her used to the style of questioning generally (not as sats prep as such - more to recognise and use numeracy within a worded question)

tbh she can do 1 in 15 mins so its not a big deal and prob less time etc than people who use maths websites etc which dd doesn't use.

mrz Sun 07-Apr-13 17:14:16

one question one test one?

sunnyday123 Sun 07-Apr-13 17:20:12

15 mins to do one maths test paper at level 2. I've only seen the 2003 & 2004 papers though (about 24 questions on each?). No chance with the level 3 which I thought seemed a much bigger jump - I would have expected a more gradual increase?

Some of the topics on the level 3 haven't been covered I don't think as dd didnt have a clue and looked genuinely bewildered! She has struggled with using maths in every day worded questions which is why the teacher suggested looking at the papers ( not to get her to revise etc)

mrz Sun 07-Apr-13 17:38:41

I'm lost for words

Feenie Sun 07-Apr-13 17:42:40

shock

mrz Sun 07-Apr-13 17:45:00

it doesn't often happen feenie

seeker Sun 07-Apr-13 17:49:45

Why are you doing this?

sunnyday123 Sun 07-Apr-13 17:50:22

Seriously why the sarcasm? There's threads on here everyday of loads of people doing extra papers, maths games etc, reading everyday etc but my dd does none of these! We do the very bare minimum ...her teacher asked me to get her to do something to improve her maths and you clearly have something to say?

I was responding to op's question earlier about whether her child was sitting the level 2 or 3 paper and explaining my situation as its clearly the same.

mrz Sun 07-Apr-13 17:52:03

I'm speechless at a teacher not knowing her pupil sunnyday

seeker Sun 07-Apr-13 17:52:42

Doing something to improve her maths is one thing. Setting her mock SATs is something completely different.

sunnyday123 Sun 07-Apr-13 17:57:40

I'm surprised at the shock- dd is in year 2 and my eldest and there isnt a parent in her class who isn't supporting maths at home with mock papers etc? As my first i have nothing to compare it too so i guess I've "followed the crowd" - especially since her teacher recommended it. I'm sure most parents do it but just won't admit it on here smile

I don't see any difference with givingahs worksheets at home - its not like she knows there sats etc?

Whether its right or wrong does not justify the judgement though!

Feenie Sun 07-Apr-13 17:58:43

There is absolutely no need to do mock papers at 7 years old, either in school or out of school. The style of questions should be covered within every day lessons, and should not be any different to the work your child does day in, day out.

The ARA is the legal document which sets out the rules for test administration, and states that a child should only do one test - for a reason! The point of assessment at Key Stage 1 is to assess what a child can do across the board - the tests are a very small part of the evidence required. It beggars belief that a teacher would not only advocate the repeated use of past papers with a 7 year old, but actually asked you to do it at home. It shows a huge lack of understanding of the assessment requirements, and is truly atrocious practice.

mrz Sun 07-Apr-13 18:03:14

Apart from the "no need" point if your daughter can complete a test in 15 mins her teacher doesn't know her very well if she thought she needed practise papers.

ipadquietly Sun 07-Apr-13 18:18:19

Does your dd go to an infant school, sunny - just YR and KS1?

plainjayne123 Sun 07-Apr-13 20:12:51

I agree with Sunny about all the horror of doing SATs papers whilst being fine with doing all the other is stuff is complete nonesense. Mrz, Feenie, etc are fine with doing everything to help children at home apart from doing SATs papers. Is this something you have picked up from the school staff room? I suggest the horror is stopped, everyone does it, there is absolutely no reason not to, the children will not be traumatised by whatever it is you think may be harmful from doing this. I have found it very beneficial to my dd yr 2.

freetrait Sun 07-Apr-13 20:39:31

Is this an independent school? It seems strange. In what way is it beneficial plainjayne?

mrz Sun 07-Apr-13 20:41:36

In what way was it beneficial plainjayne?

Personally I can't see any benefits, true it isn't harmful either just totally and utterly pointless

ipadquietly Sun 07-Apr-13 20:46:48

This is like groundhog day.

mrz Sun 07-Apr-13 20:51:51

I find it really interesting, teaching as I do in a school where parents wouldn't consider using past papers or WHS study books for a second

simpson Sun 07-Apr-13 21:02:43

Mrz - does your school give out homework?

Feenie Mon 08-Apr-13 00:48:26

We give out homework - learning log style.

The point is, the legal document for assessment only advocates one test per child. For a reason. The purpose of the assessment is never to make 6/7 year old children do past paper after past paper.

Parents may not understand that - but teachers damn well ought to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now