roughly what do blue banana books equate to?

(24 Posts)
Periwinkle007 Fri 05-Apr-13 21:04:07

does anyone know? blue are the lowest banana ones aren't they?

thanks

mrz Fri 05-Apr-13 21:22:16
Bunnyjo Fri 05-Apr-13 21:32:57

IIRC Blue Bananas books were banded turquoise at DD's school.

Periwinkle007 Fri 05-Apr-13 21:33:11

ah thanks. I didn't realise there were green as well.

Periwinkle007 Fri 05-Apr-13 21:37:46

thanks Bunnyjo. I was trying to work it out roughly

simpson Fri 05-Apr-13 21:55:05

Periwinkle - I just got some red bananas books from the library today for my DD and she seems to be coping with them. But some of them seem harder than others to I just had a flick through first to see if she could cope with them.

So to me some seem easier than others. She reads a mixture of blue (Cake test) and red (The quick Brown Fox Cub, Friday Suprise).

Periwinkle007 Fri 05-Apr-13 22:00:34

My daughter read Cake Test today which is why I was wondering. We also have The wrong kind of bark, spinderella, animals in school, follow the swallow, mairi's mermaid and a few others - my mum got a set of books and I have only just realised they were all originally written as banana ones. I thought Cake Test was quite hmm not sure of the word, abstract? possibly. She read it ok but the concept of a recipe for a king whilst she understood it, I felt was quite a bit harder than magic key at level 7/8. Some of the others look straightforward in comparison.

simpson Fri 05-Apr-13 22:20:13

DD loved The Wrong Kind of Bark and Mairi's Mermaid.

Yes I agree some are easier than others and DD can cope with some red level ones and not others...

Periwinkle007 Fri 05-Apr-13 22:35:52

I suppose it is like all the books, unless they are only allowed to use a certain list of words, sentence structure, number of words, sentences, paragraphs and pages they will vary greatly. We haven't read the Wrong Kind of Bark yet. She wants to read Murdoch Mole's big idea tomorrow which is an early reader blue one, no idea what it is, much easier than early reader red but then it says to share so presumably isn't meaning for them to read entirely on their own. who knows, lovely pictures and I think she will enjoy it anyway so doesn't matter.

Bunnyjo Fri 05-Apr-13 22:51:25

I'm sure DD's school banded the Red Bananas books purple/gold. They definitely stretched 2 bands. I am certain all Blue Bananas books were banded turquoise as I remember being utterly relieved when she brought them home after months of bloody Biff, Chip et al

simpson Fri 05-Apr-13 23:03:57

I think red bananas are gold too (must have heard/read it somewhere, maybe on here!!)

Bunnyjo Fri 05-Apr-13 23:45:54

I thought the Red Bananas stretched over purple and gold? I could be completely wrong though!

Periwinkle007 Sat 06-Apr-13 09:50:54

well looking at the info they give out themselves blue bananas are key stage 2 and red bananas key stage 3. SO that would imply that blue will span turquoise and purple and red would span gold and white if I understand it right. That would make sense looking at the ones we have.

It is interesting though as length of book seems to play a large part in whether they are turquoise/purple or gold/white rather than actual content from what I can see in some of the other scheme books. so you could technically end up with a long chapter book as white but with very simple text in it whilst a complex storyline and harder words could be seen more as purple if it is shorter.

I think they are probably all much of a muchness, perhaps there isn't much difference between the levels by this stage? If i look at biff, chip etc the books look the same at level 7/8/9 but if I look at the fireflies non fiction ones they are harder due to vocab and understanding required I think, books are shorter though.

mind when I was at school I think levels only went up to the equivalent of orange! I feel old now

simpson Sat 06-Apr-13 10:07:00

DD was on lime level for a while (fiction) but I thought she was finding it too tough so asked for her to be on white for a bit longer which feels about right for her.

Non fiction wise they seem to vary she has found some tough at stage 8 and another book easy at 10 confused

Do you mean blue is KS1 and red is KS2 btw?

Periwinkle007 Sat 06-Apr-13 12:26:59

sorry I meant National Curriculum Level 2 for Blue and National Curriculum Level 3 for Red
http://www.egmont.co.uk/bananas/blue.asp?guide=true
http://www.egmont.co.uk/bananas/red.asp?guide=true

so if I am right then National Curriculum Level 2 is from Turquoise (7) to White (10) and Level 3 is from Lime (11) to Emerald (15). That would explain why they have such a variation in them as they span quite a large range. None of the ones I have looked in that we have been given look anything higher than purple/gold for the blue ones compared to other books and the red ones we have I would put at gold - white personally just at a glance but I think it is all a bit hit and miss.

Periwinkle007 Sat 06-Apr-13 12:35:44

Non fiction I think varies on the subject doesn't it.

The ORT Fireflies ones at stage 6 include one evaluated as gold now, stage 7 has 2 purple, 3 gold and 1 white, stage 8 has 1 purple, 1 gold and 4 white, Stage 9 has 5 gold and 1 white and stage 10 has all white so they are all very subjective. I suppose the other thing is if it is about something completely random then it could contain a lot of words which would be new whereas something about something they come across a lot will contain more regular words to them. A dinosaur book would be hard work for my daughter but for a child who loves dinosaurs it would probably be easy.

those books about the nature year came yesterday - they look nice, nice little size too. not had a chance to read them but had a quick flick through and I think they will be interesting to talk about with the girls.

simpson Sat 06-Apr-13 12:50:22

Mine came today. Although DD is too busy bouncing about on the trampoline to read them grin

Makes sense about the NC levels and bananas books .

I bought some ORT (treetops) chapter books for DS when he was in yr1 (stage 12-16 - not for him to read there and then but because they were on special offer. He read them in yr2) and DD can read the stage 12 books fine with no problems and understand the story etc but no way is she stage 12 iyswim. Mainly for the inference and at a glance they look pretty easy but I am sure a lot is expected of a child at that stage...

Periwinkle007 Sat 06-Apr-13 13:54:41

I think a lot of children's books can be read at different levels. At 5 I could read books and understand and enjoy them but then I know very well I read some of them again when I was 8 ish and I still liked Dick King Smith when I was 11. I think different ages gain different things from them.

I suppose this is how schools can view reading bands so differently (I need to look up different in a thesaurus for more variety in my writing I think). Some schools move them literally on their ability to read and understand whereas many now use them alongside the National Curriculum levels more and are looking for much more in the understanding than just understanding the story.

You could read Jane Eyre and (some people might) enjoy it just as a book but when you study it for GCSE you are bored to tears (in my case) trying to work out what the author was thinking of when she was describing a picture on the wall and what it was supposed to symbolise. personally I am still adamant it wasn't supposed to symbolise anything but my teacher didn't agree. So being read and understood but at 2 very different levels.

I wouldn't say my daughter was anywhere near level 12. she could probably read the majority of the text and depending on the story could probably understand it to a point but I think she is much happier at level 9/10ish. I think 9 confidently and 10 marginally more challenging but still acceptable and enjoyable.

I remember confidently reading the Magic Faraway Tree and Charlotte's Web etc at 5 but I wouldn't have said she would be ready for them yet. She still likes her pictures.

simpson Sat 06-Apr-13 15:16:49

No way could DD read Charlotte's Web (DS has just read it at 7) but she is starting to tackle Roald Dahl (to me) but I have noticed that a book she found tough back in September (Frog and Toad) she will now re-read to herself.

Periwinkle007 Sat 06-Apr-13 17:43:41

thats great because it shows how much her confidence must be improving.

I remember having to read those 2 books in my first year at school so that would have been the equivalent of Year 1. (it was a selective school)

simpson Sat 06-Apr-13 17:55:24

I have to thank you for the mermaid books suggestion. She has just read one to herself in about 30 mins shock

Wow at reading CW in yr1!!

Periwinkle007 Sat 06-Apr-13 19:21:47

yep I can't believe it now look back but I can clearly remember it.

brilliant with the mermaid book. I was quite pleased at the size of them I must admit, not too thick so just right to hold their interest for long enough at this sort of age. Did she enjoy it?

simpson Sat 06-Apr-13 20:34:26

She loved it and took the second one to bed with her but I don't think she got very far as she was too tired grin

Periwinkle007 Sat 06-Apr-13 21:07:31

hehe - sounds like she will finish them all before the holidays end then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now