Teachers can you help?

(35 Posts)

DS came home with a pot of soil with a small shoot at the end of term.

He has ASD and is totally unable to tell me what it is, and I have not contact with his classmates due to distance of his special school.

So, what is it?

(And, is it likely that his barely out of school herself teacher is playing a joke and it's smokable?) wink

I have to add too, that I have never ever grown anything so am unlikely to guess. I only know it isn't cress.

jo164 Fri 05-Apr-13 19:40:38

Does it have pairs of leaves? If so, could be a sunflower?

melonribena Fri 05-Apr-13 19:41:38

We always grow broad beans in my year 2 class!

Tiggles Fri 05-Apr-13 19:44:21

DSs school get given a flower to grow some time around now, by a local garden centre. They then take them back in several months later too see which is the best - they win a prize at the garden centre. This was never conveyed by DS1 (with ASD) but I found out in retrospect when he announced after several weeks he had to take his flower back in. He won the competition, but someone else (presumably jealous) in the school proceeded to pull off all the flower heads angry.

mrz Fri 05-Apr-13 20:01:59

he has probably planted a seed and rather than let it die over Easter the teacher has sent it home for you to nurture with your obvious green fingers

Yes a pair of leaves. Though I just looked and theirs four of them now. confused

Euphemia Fri 05-Apr-13 20:46:17

Most likely a bean - they grow quickly. I'd normally just grow it on a damp paper towel inside a plastic cup, though, so you can see the roots as well.

So perhaps it's something more advanced ...

DS just said it is a potato. hmm

I know nothing about these things but guess it probably isn't.

DD allegedly brought a bean plant home at the end of term (year 1). It looks nothing like any bean we've grown at home, more like a flowering plant of some sort. So we're none the wiser, and even if he told you what it was that doesn't mean it's necessarily true grin

Taffeta Fri 05-Apr-13 21:37:20

Potatoes don't grow from seeds, they grow from potato tubers.

My money's on broad bean. Look anything like this?

Taffeta Fri 05-Apr-13 21:38:21

Try posting this in gardening? Can you take a pic of seedling and upload to your profile?

Not really no. There are only two leaves on each shoot, but they are quite small atm.

Taffeta Fri 05-Apr-13 21:41:06

Nope. Definately not them. Honestly though, I wouldn't take my ds' account seriously. He also said that maybe they were carrots.

I think not.

Taffeta Fri 05-Apr-13 21:43:51
Taffeta Fri 05-Apr-13 21:45:34

Carrots take forever.....

mrz Fri 05-Apr-13 21:49:44

Nope. Not like those, though your first link mrz came up as 'forbidden' - what WERE you linking to?

On closer inspection, each shoot has two roundish leaves, but the stalk is kind of split into two before each leaf starts.

The stalk has a bit of whitish stubble.

Taffeta Fri 05-Apr-13 22:12:04

Not sure but definately the closest so far hmm

No. Leaves are much rounder than that. maybe it is just too early to tell!?

Maybe it's just grass or something.....

sashh Sat 06-Apr-13 08:22:41

IMHO all veg/flowers start off looking the same.

It is probably a bean or a sunflower, both grow quickly and easily. just keep the soil moist, not saturated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now