Is anyone else waiting to hear what primary school their child has got into?(689 Posts)
Having a dilemma here wondering if I've made the right choice. My little one has been to his childminders since 10 months old although she is 62 and due to retire in a couple of years. He started pre school in a private nursery 2 days a week last September - just so he could get some classroom experience. I put the school his childminder services as my first choice (easier transition as he could stay with her) and was absolutely gutted when he didn't get in. We we're offered our second choice (both are rated as good by Ofsted but his first choice gets miles better dashboard results) However the school he was accepted for has a new headmaster (only 34) everyone is raving about him! I really think he is going to make it a fantastic school and as it's in walking distance would I regret turning it down? After much searching we have found a childminder that we are happy with for his second choice school, have been to all the taster sessions and feel happy with the school. We actually withdrew our appeal the day before it was due to be heard. All was happy until on Friday his first choice rang and offered us a place. I know we were in a very lucky situation but they gave us two hours to decide! A bit unfair! My husband was in meetings so could only take a two minute call in which he said there was a reason we withdrew the appeal. So I rang back and declined. It's really messed with my head & don't know if we made the right decision? How hard is deciding what is right for your childs future!
Windrush primary school -charlton - any experience anyone?
we have just been offered a place for my son to start reception in sept? i dont know anything about it and plan to visit in the next day or two, the offsted and performance for the sister site reads well but there isnt much to be found for his site. Desperate to hear anything that will put my mind at rest
It's excruciating. A couple of friends in the same county but different LEA have had emails but I don't know anybody who has applied through our LEA so don't know if they have sent emails yet. I keep refreshing the website but no change yet.
DH, who has spent the last five months being completely relaxed about the whole thing, is texting and emailing every hour to ask if I've heard anything yet. And does that mean no news is bad news? He's winding me up even more
Thanks. I'm fit to burst here!
Hoping it works out ok for you.
Just us then.
Does anybody know if Bedfordshire lets you know by email or letter? And when? The website just says 'Decisions posted 30th April' but I applied online so was hoping they would send an email today.
Is anybody else finding out tomorrow?
kungfupanda we find out on Tuesday 30th. Not sure if after midnight or later in the day.
It's been a loooong wait and I've got myself quite wound up reading this thread.
Our first choice is with a different LEA. The school is usually undersubscribed but I'm taking nothing for granted.
Our second choice is the catchment school which is only four years old. This is the first year they've put catchment in the criteria so I don't think it will be oversubscribed, although the attached nursery is.
Anyone else finding out on the 30th?
Brienne - our first choice was oversubscribed but my friend who has a child there told me that every year, there are children who get a place but decline and go to a private school instead and children who never start at all - she seemed to think there is often quite a bit of movement.
Not going to appeal - there certainly isn't any grounds to do so, it's just that the places all got filled up by people who live closer than us, but we will probably ask to be on waiting list for choice #1.
Anyone got any experience of how much churn there is likely to be between now and september for a typical 2-class-entry city school? I reckon (via crude maths which assumes that 3-year-olds are evenly distributed per unit area) that we'd probably be about 4th or 5th on the waiting list - I don't know if that makes it too unlikely to hold out hope or not?
Not primary, and not E&W, but I did get confirmation today that my son has got into the same High school as his brother - we were pretty sure he'd get in but doesn't stop you sweating.
Great week for you, Aufaniae.
Is anyone going to be hearing next week, or is there a big wait until May for everyone else?
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
We got our first choice, yay!
Good luck to everyone still waiting, and for those who didn't get in, I hope a workable solution presents itself and that this isn't too stressful in the meantime.
Thanks for the congrats for baby girl
Great, thanks Tiggy - will do.
Sorry Mollie - I wasn't suggesting you'd done anything incorrectly. It is a complete minefield trying to get a school without an address and an address without a school but it is worth asking the LA what definition they use because that way you will be able to update your application the moment you officially comply with what they want and maximise chances on the waiting lists.
Oh, just realised my first post re my parents' address was ambiguous. I meant would be legitimate if we moved there. I wouldn't use it until we had genuinely moved there and changed council tax, electoral roll, benefit etc. to there. That is why I used our correct current address in the original application despite it being 150 miles away and will continue to use it for the waiting lists unless/until it changes.
tiggy - don't worry, I am Miss do-the-right thing! I would never try and gain an unfair advantage or attempt to beat the system. We applied to decent but previously undersubscribed schools knowing that we would be at the very bottom of the list but hoping to get in through lack of applications.
We have to move to the area, so will be selling our house but it all takes time.
Anyway, I am going to see what the waiting lists are like, keep calm, implement a step-by-step plan and hope that by September ds is in somewhere. Thanks again to all who have offered support and suggestions.
Mollie - there is nothing wrong at all with using your parents' address once you are actually living there.
You cannot however submit an application (or go on a waiting list) using an address that you don't actually live in yet. Applications and waiting lists are always based on current address not future plans no matter how firm those plans are.
I know you are anxious to get in but you don't want to get offered a place only to have it withdrawn again because of incorrect information. It is best to ask the LA to confirm at what stage you can make the application from the new address and make sure you comply with their rules as they do check these things (council tax history etc)
We got 2nd choice, which is a good school and it was a tough decision in the first place, but had fallen for 1st choice in the end. Waiting list based on the numbers given today is 23 and we're quite far away.
At the mo am planing to contact the school in a few weeks about what they think our chances are of getting to the top of the list, based on their past experience. We're quite far away but this is the first year they've been oversubscribed.
I wish the council just said, this is the school, without any spectre of choice, as we'd have been happy enough with it.
zadie78, AmandaP and kungfu, thanks for your suggestions. Just looked into the rental situation and because my first choice school is rural there is nothing available within 5miles! There are a few houses to buy which we have been looking at, but obviously too risky now.
I think my parents' address would be legitimate now. I wouldn't have done it before as that would not be fair on the people who already live there. However, we will have to move in with my parents if we can't get a house as their health won't wait for the waiting list!
Mollie - be careful to comply with the address requirements once you move. You cannot rent a house and not live in it (or give an address you don't live at) for any part of the school admissions process.
Otherwise you'd have the situation where everyone at number 30 on the waiting list tried to rent a flat next to the school to become number 1 on the list.
The downside of moving into a new area is you have to sort out an address before you can sort out a school unless you get lucky and apply from your old home and hope you get into an undersubscribed one in the new area.
Primafacie - I think 105m wins so far!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.