Bury St Edmunds - got to relocate there this summer. How do i get a school place?

(21 Posts)
GhostOfTheRobot Thu 04-Apr-13 16:27:10

I will have missed the deadline for Sept 2013 Primary school admissions for dd1.
What happens if all the school places are taken? Do the LEA help? Or do I have to lobby schools myself?

Also, we don't know exactly where we'll be living yet so I guess no school will give us a place now even if there was one available.

I know I'm being a bit wet behind the ears! Online (have looked at Good schools guide) said this is a hard situation and I will have to make do with where ever they can offer. This makes me nervous as I need to be able to walk as don't have a car.

There must be someone who has been through this or knows how to tackle this.

Would really appreciate some advice from those who have been there!

MaybeBentley Thu 04-Apr-13 18:04:37

Have you had a look here?

Suffolk gov

booklet on admissions

GhostOfTheRobot Thu 04-Apr-13 19:42:55

Thanks Maybe, I've had a quick read and it looks like after 16 April I can apply late.

Only trouble is I won't have an address in Suffolk until July/August time.

I wonder if they'll consider my situation afterwards? Mil has told me I can home- school but I don't think that's really my skill set. I will if I have to but am really hoping I can squeeze dd in somewhere.

MaybeBentley Thu 04-Apr-13 20:21:45

How old are your children? Bury St Edmunds still has the three tier system (but it is under review) with middle schools for years 5 - 8.

GhostOfTheRobot Fri 05-Apr-13 08:45:01

Hi, Maybe. Dd is 4 so it would be reception class. Is there slightly more scope to negotiate with reception?

MaybeBentley Fri 05-Apr-13 18:58:12

If you've missed the closing date for Reception places you will need to contact the local authority to find you a place for September and you will have far less choice.

Some of the town's primary schools will be full, with parents also having been to appeal by then. There will be a place somewhere, but maybe not at what would be your first choice or catchment area school if it is Bury itself you move to. But it is worth going on waiting lists as there is movement.

I don't know if you've thought where you want to live. We used to live in a village just outside the town and were very pleased with the village school.

GhostOfTheRobot Sun 07-Apr-13 08:58:15

Sorry, Maybe. Dd2 has been ill & kept me busy!
We don't need to be living in town but as I don't have a car/drive I need to be able to walk dd1 to school. If a village had a decent bus service I could do that.
The trouble is not knowing Suffolk at all makes this so hard.
We only found out about the relocation last week so feeling a bit thrown.
I think I will be ringing the LA and see what they can advise.
Thank you for your help.

MaybeBentley Sun 07-Apr-13 09:20:48

Hope DD2 is better soon.
There are some very nice villages around Bury. I found it a bit of a shock compared to SE as many have no shop, PO, library, etc. and bus routes are variable. So check that carefully or you could feel very isolated.

GhostOfTheRobot Sun 07-Apr-13 09:51:31

Yes, am concerned about being cut off.
I will just have to research as much as possible. I'll see what the LEA say.

Many thanks for taking the time to help me & for the kind comments for my dd2. She's grumpy but on the mend!

tiggytape Sun 07-Apr-13 13:06:58

When you have a Suffolk address, you can apply to the LEA and they will find you a place. You will be asked to tell them your preferences but if those schools are already full, they won't be able to offer you a place there. The law limits Reception class sizes to 30 children per teacher.

If one of the schools you list has a place, you will get an offer there, otherwise you will be allocated the nearest available school with places.
For that reason it can help to research if possible which schools are traditionally undersubscribed and generally have spaces available and also places to live where there is a wider choice of nearby schools (if you live somewhere with only one local school and it is full, it is possible you'd be allocated a different one some distance away which obviously you want to avoid).

GhostOfTheRobot Sun 07-Apr-13 14:43:37

Thanks Tiggy, sounds like I'd be better off focusing on Bury itself then.

Butkin Mon 08-Apr-13 14:34:19

Can't help with technicalities but we live in village next to Bury and DD goes to school there. It is a wonderful market town with load of things to do and all the schools have a good reputation.

Let us know where you end up living and which school so we can advise further.

GhostOfTheRobot Mon 08-Apr-13 19:55:02

Ah, Butkin, sounds good. Not Sudbury us it? It looks nice there.
The job doesn't start til June. I know people move all the time and have to get school places.

GhostOfTheRobot Mon 08-Apr-13 20:08:03

Sorry, didn't finish that!

I meant to say I just feel a bit flumoxed by the timing if this. Still, that's life I guess!

Butkin Tue 09-Apr-13 12:48:40

No Sudbury is 16 miles from Bury and would be considered to be a long way away in the great scheme of things. It is a market town in it's own right.

We live next to Ickworth Park in Chevington.

Butkin Tue 09-Apr-13 12:50:16

By the way The Apex is a new concert venue which has a wide range of entertainment in the heart of Bury. I'm off to see Dexy's there tonight!

GhostOfTheRobot Tue 09-Apr-13 14:23:46

Ah, I see.

The Apex looks great! Rollerskating & zorbing looks great fun.

Butkin Tue 09-Apr-13 15:18:33

Rollerskating is at Curve Motion which is also a popular soft play centre.

GhostOfTheRobot Tue 09-Apr-13 16:06:17

Ah, mixing the names up! Sorry. I need to get my head round it all.

Wish I could download it all to my brain in one go!

diabolo Wed 10-Apr-13 15:30:11

I agree with Butkin - I've lived in and around BSE for over 12 years and now live in a village a few miles to the south. Many villages have their own Primary schools which have good reputations.

I work at one of the middle schools in BSE, but we are changing to 2 - tier from 3-tier in the next 3 years so things will change.

Once you know where you will be living feel free to PM me and I can advise you about the schools that will be local to you. There are some good independents too if that is of any interest.

It does sound as though you would be better off living in or near BSE as the public transport in some villages can be erratic or non-existent.

GhostOfTheRobot Wed 10-Apr-13 16:07:04

Thank you very much, diabolo. That would be fantastic!
I reckon we will be moving roughly end of May time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now