Reading Tests

(93 Posts)
MrsGWay Thu 04-Apr-13 14:45:36

I am trying to decipher what we were told at my daughter's parents evening. Her reading ability had been tested and she is beyond the reading scheme, despite bringing home turquoise level books. She needs to work on her expression (very true) but finds the books terribly boring. In fact she is a reluctant reader.
Apparently in the test she only got 10 words wrong which gave her a score of 30. Does anybody know which test this might be?

simpson Fri 05-Apr-13 22:22:12

I have to say I am not sure I agree.

The first time a child reads a word it is a silly word to them. DD read the word "scornfully" today but did not know what it meant. So to her it's a "silly" word iyswim.

Periwinkle007 Fri 05-Apr-13 22:33:14

true but it does have sounds which are familiar, fully is a regular ending of a word, ly is a regular ending even without the full. scorn would be odd but some of the alien words are just a bit too odd I think. don't know. We had similar with Prime Minister today.

simpson Fri 05-Apr-13 22:37:44

But I think a lot of the words in the phonics test will be sounds a child is (hopefully) familiar with.

It is only because the are learning/have learnt that words have meaning iyswim.

simpson Fri 05-Apr-13 22:38:21

they

Periwinkle007 Fri 05-Apr-13 22:41:13

yes I see what you mean

I just can't see why such a test is really needed grin)

MrsGWay Fri 05-Apr-13 22:54:48

Sorry to go off topic, but it definitely was not the phonics test. However it is interesting to note that the best and fastest reader in my daughter's class is actually in the lowest phonics group.
She now says that she remembers having to read a long book and answering questions at the end of each page.

simpson Fri 05-Apr-13 23:02:51

I do agree on why a test is needed....surely if a school is doing their job correctly then it is not needed. However, sadly many schools are not sad

Mrsg - I would be interested to find out what test it was!!

mrz Sat 06-Apr-13 07:39:16

I think the fact that the test showed children who their teachers believed were good readers couldn't in fact accurately read very simple words shows the check was needed.

www.nonweiler.demon.co.uk/Y1_Phonics_Check.pdf

learnandsay Mon 08-Apr-13 09:27:31

Well, there aren't many alien names in everyday reading, so I guess that bit of the test isn't much help.

mrz Mon 08-Apr-13 09:50:24

Ciff, Yaris, Punto, Baxi, Moshi, Makka Pakka, Ninky Nonk ........

mrz Mon 08-Apr-13 09:58:09

Tombliboos, Pontipines, Haahoos, Dipsey, Laa Laa, Po Tinky Winky, Abadas, Bobinogs, Dipdap ....

learnandsay Mon 08-Apr-13 09:58:19

I didn't say peculiar words don't exist. I said they're not part of everyday reading. Most people read things which make sense like stories, newspapers, messages, things of that sort.

mrz Mon 08-Apr-13 09:59:59

Chedds, Pritt, Teflon, Duracel, Millicano ...

mrz Mon 08-Apr-13 10:01:06

So you don't read any of those words in the supermarket or on TV or children's magazines and books.

mrz Mon 08-Apr-13 10:02:12

They read labels and packaging and captions

learnandsay Mon 08-Apr-13 10:11:03

Maybe they/we do occasionally (not on TV). But I don't want to raise children who are brilliant at reading advertising but can't understand a newspaper article. I'd rather it the other way around.

mrz Mon 08-Apr-13 10:15:19

It's quite useful to be able to read the label on items you intend to purchase learnandsay

learnandsay Mon 08-Apr-13 10:19:25

My daughter doesn't seem to have any trouble reading the names of things she wants. I find it harder to get her to read the names of things that she doesn't want.

mrz Mon 08-Apr-13 10:20:42

I hope she never struggles but unfortunately many adults do

learnandsay Mon 08-Apr-13 10:25:24

Presumably there's a difference between being able to recognise a brand and product and being able to pronounce it. I buy Polish beer sometimes. I sure can't pronounce it but I can buy the same bottle each time.

learnandsay Mon 08-Apr-13 10:26:56

I used to buy Polish stock powder too. But since I've moved house I can't find it. I can't pronounce that either but I'd recognise it it I saw it.

carriedawayannie Mon 08-Apr-13 10:28:21

What happens if they fail? Does it affect the child at all?

cumbrialass Mon 08-Apr-13 10:31:11

But you can make a phonetically plausible attempt at
Lech, Okokim, Tatra, Tyskie etc. Which is all the children are asked to do.

learnandsay Mon 08-Apr-13 10:31:24

I guess it depends on the test. If it's the phonics screening check then she'll have to do it again if she's in Y1 now. If this was her second time I don't know what happens. (Perhaps she can't read from now on.)

carriedawayannie Mon 08-Apr-13 10:44:19

I just did a quick practice test I downloaded onto my phone.

Dd1, in reception, did ok with the made up words and just approached them with the same way she approaches real words she didn't know.

She wanted to know what they meant though which is tricky to explain they are just nonsense. I didn't really say that but felt like it!

This particular test had pictures of aliens, one of which looked like a dragon and she was trying to use this picture to work out the word. I had to tell her to ignore the picture which goes against what she is taught in school so how is that helpful?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now