Reading books order after The Storm ORT?

(151 Posts)
Iamnotminterested Mon 01-Apr-13 19:38:11

Just that. Floppy has found the key and friend wants to know which books come next; I can't remember (or have I erased them from my memory?)

learnandsay Tue 02-Apr-13 22:57:55

Yes, it's sort of a different topic because at home you can prep them. But they're still clever in play school. And if in play school they're told you can to potato paintings, crayon drawings and dancing, but you can't do abc because you're not old enough then they won't do abc.

I think the whole concept of old enough should be scrapped and replaced with if you can then you can, and if you can't then you can't.

simpson England Tue 02-Apr-13 23:00:13

But then it would continue with if you are ready to stop learning through play then you can iyswim...

Rather than waiting till September <<sigh>>

learnandsay Tue 02-Apr-13 23:03:28

Sort of, but if the concept of old enough was scrapped then learning through play would become part of "can't." Children who can do it would just get on with it. (Pretty much like they do at home.)

mrz Wed 03-Apr-13 09:11:36

But then it would continue with if you are ready to stop learning through play

When are you ready to stop learning through play? genuine question

simpson England Wed 03-Apr-13 09:28:22

Don't know mrz but my DD is.

The school have acknowledged that she is ready for more structure that she will get in yr1.

I don't mean that she will never learn anything through play ever again obviously but that she would prefer to be sitting at a desk/table doing a particular task rather than dressing up iyswim.

mrz Wed 03-Apr-13 09:54:56

I think "learning through play" is an unfortunate term

AryaUnderfoot Wed 03-Apr-13 09:56:14

When are you ready to stop learning through play? genuine question

Unfortunately, it's like 'how long is a piece of string?'

DS never got on with learning through play, if that 'learning' was supposed to lead to the kind of milestones in the old EYFS profile. He was never, in a million years, going to choose to make any form of mark on a piece of paper in any form of 'child led' activity. His idea of 'child led' was to run around with a big stick and play pirates.

Whilst he was intellectually 'ready to learn', he needed a firm kick up the arse and structure and discipline to get him to actually do anything. He would have been better off skipping reception entirely - he achieved very little in the year other than developing a reputation as 'the naughty child'.

As parents we have a responsibility to identify and help our children to learn key skills when they are ready for them - not necessarily when they want to.

DS at 6 1/2 would still be happy for me to dress him, wipe his bum, cut up all his food and write all his thank you letters. It was my job to identify when he was perfectly capable of doing these things for himself and then making damn sure he did (despite resistance).

simpson my dd was very similar. She did have fun in reception but the last term she did start stagnate a bit. She was desperate to do more structured work and was ready for that next step. Bit she is one if the older ones Had she been born a fortnight earlier shed have been at school a whole yr before. She has come on leaps and bounds in yr one. Obviously like you said, its not like she will never learn through play again. But yr 1 was more what she hoped school was going to be. Her teacher has allowed her to progress at her own rate rather than keeping her back which did happen a bit in reception as focus was on other things.

mrz Wed 03-Apr-13 10:41:49

I believe there are many reception teachers who are afraid to follow the child's lead and let children read, write and calculate etc because they have been misinformed often by advisors. Learning through play needs defining ... it doesn't mean children can't do what adults seem to consider is work. There should be no distinction between work and play to a child they are the same. There is nothing in the EYFS that says a child cannot sit and write all day if that is what the want to do.

simpson England Wed 03-Apr-13 10:58:44

DD's teacher is very good and DD does do a lot of 121 reading, writing etc but is just ready for more.

She is ready to have more structured lessons I guess like history, geography etc.

She loves having weekly spelling tests, doing written homework (odd child) which she will get more of in yr1 (Heaven help me!!)

She constantly says things like " teach me more about books" which as I am not a teacher I cannot do really.

mrz Wed 03-Apr-13 11:05:56

Do they not learn history and geography in reception simpson?

simpson England Wed 03-Apr-13 11:16:53

Don't know to be fair, probably but it's within "topic time" iyswim. So ATM she is learning about space. She has learnt about healthy eating, 3 d shapes, analysing or retelling a story (The Gingerbread Man) so I am not saying she is learning nothing as that is far from the case but just think she is ready for more really.

I can imagine that DD is a bit of a handful at school (as she is at home!!) and needs a lot of stimulation to keep her busy. She is not good at coming up with ideas by herself to keep herself busy iyswim.

mrz Wed 03-Apr-13 11:24:58

Many schools will teach history, geography and science etc. through topic work across the whole school not just in reception. In life nothing is compartmentalised into separate subjects.
If you study the Vikings, Normans, Egyptians or Aztecs you are going to look at where they came from, how they lived and where they travelled

simpson England Wed 03-Apr-13 11:33:03

I also guess that the lessons will be longer too which I think is another issue (her teacher mentioned it).

I know that they have been learning about space which then goes into numeracy counting backwards to "blast off" and 3D shapes etc.

I am not criticising her teachers far from it, they are doing a fab job, it is more of a criticism of EYFS (for DD).

She started the reception year on a couple of 9s and she will end the reception year on the same score as they can't go higher iyswim (although I know it's not about scores - I just feel she has outgrown EYFS).

mrz Wed 03-Apr-13 11:37:50

Why can't they go higher simpson?

teacherwith2kids Wed 03-Apr-13 11:38:25

DD in Reception used to spend whole days writing stories.

DS used to spend days doing maths on the blackboard...he particularly liked it when the World Cup was on, as he and another child chose to create 'league tables' for each group, and spent ages updating them, calculating the new (negative or positive) goal differences, keeping tallies of top scorers etc.

Both in many ways learned much more in Reception than in Year 1, because there was never a 'ceiling' on the tasks set. So a Y1 maths task would not normally include the addition or subtraction of negative numbers, but DS's self-imposed Reception task (which his teacher aided and abetted through materials and discussion) did, and he was able to show his true ability that way.

teacherwith2kids Wed 03-Apr-13 11:40:26

(DS was recorded in NC levels for Reading and for Maths, and DD for Reading and Writing at the end of reception, as both had moved beyond the EYFS - I thought that was normal practice? I know that a child in Reception at my last school was being assessed on NC levels for Maths by Christas of Reception)

Haberdashery Wed 03-Apr-13 11:43:26

>> She started the reception year on a couple of 9s and she will end the reception year on the same score

That doesn't mean she hasn't learnt things, though.

DD spent all her time in Reception creating increasingly detailed and utterly bonkers junk models on the making table, however it didn't seem to stop her learning other stuff as well.

mrz Wed 03-Apr-13 11:44:21

It should be normal practice teacherwith2kids, but as I said teachers and advisors are confused by "learning through play"

simpson England Wed 03-Apr-13 11:56:47

I would have thought that the reason she cannot go higher on EYFS would be because it only goes up to 9.

As I already said, this does not mean she has not progressed (I was told her NC level for reading in December but don't know the others - or even if she has been assessed NC wise for them).

Teacherwith2kids - not normal practice at DD's school.

But that is DD's problem in that she likes to be given a task to then spend ages to do <<sigh>> she is not great at thinking of them for herself...

Can you tell she is doing my head in and the holidays have just started? grin

mrz Wed 03-Apr-13 12:04:50

"I would have thought that the reason she cannot go higher on EYFS would be because it only goes up to 9."

The old score of 9 (no longer exists under new EYFS profile) meant that a child was working beyond the EYFS Early Learning Goals and was working within National Curriculum levels and as such should be taught using the NC.

teacherwith2kids Wed 03-Apr-13 12:09:56

Ecactly, mrz. So DD's EYFS profile as reported to us that the end of the year had '9' for the relevant sections and then a separate NC level for Reading and Writing.

simpson England Wed 03-Apr-13 12:11:27

I have only ever (at parents eve etc) had her reported as being on a 9 nothing about NC levels.

I know at the beginning of the school year they were using the old guidelines (EYFS) don't know what is used now.

mrz Wed 03-Apr-13 12:15:15

They should be using the new profile as it is the legal requirement.
I should point out reporting to you that she is a 9 on the profile doesn't mean that they aren't teaching her using the NC because a score of 9 effectively means that is where she is working.

simpson England Wed 03-Apr-13 12:31:54

That is true....

They did give me her learning objectives for each subject.

It just a bit meh to hear "yes your DD is doing really well. She is a 9 in x y z" when you heard exactly the same thing at the end of nursery/start of reception iyswim.

Teacherwith2kids - I asked at parents eve if her end of year school report would have her NC levels in it and I was told probably not but they would check...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now