Tights problem

(32 Posts)
Pyrrah Sun 31-Mar-13 14:35:47

My DD is getting very sore from wearing tights.

She's nearly 4 and very tiny (very small and also skinny)- I've bought tights in several different sizes and none of them seem to help. She's got a very small waist and they slip down and then the seams rub the insides of her thighs.

I'd put her into socks, but it's freezing.

Anyone else have the same problem/solutions?

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 02-Apr-13 10:34:43

Next start at age 3, my ds wears them for preschool and he's small.

neverputasockinatoaster Tue 02-Apr-13 09:19:42

DD wears leggings. She has sensory issues with socks so tights just added an extra dimension of horror!

Mother of skinny children here with long legs

Def John Lewis tights. Then gather the waist band at the back and sew it in a two places, like a flap folded over to left and to right. This makes the waist much smaller and as they have a double seam on the bum (unlike crappy M&S etc) it doesn't remove the space on the bum. Voila, perfect tights that don't fall down. The waist is still stretchy to get on and off.

Takes me 2 mins to stitch.
I have to do all of DS soft waist trousers too, but god knows what I'll do when he starts school.

EduCated Mon 01-Apr-13 12:28:49

Ooh, could over the knee socks be teamed with some cycling shorts to minimise the amount of bare skin?

Clary Mon 01-Apr-13 12:22:57

My DD used to hate tights so we got her long over the knee socks from M&S (in grey or black) which look as good and kept her warm (came higher than the hem of her skirt).

sunnyday123 Mon 01-Apr-13 10:46:00

I'm not sure what to do mrz? School uniform is compulsory from after easter and dd won't want to be the only one turning up in grey and as she loves those summer dresses! Equally its soooo cold! I may have to ring around her classmates!

3MonthMaid Mon 01-Apr-13 10:12:19

Ballet tights are excellent but may not come in grey.

Definite vote for h&m footless tights with socks, DD went through a fussy phase and that really worked for her.

Next also do pretty good tights with feet and proper shaping, they seem to stay up better on skinny DD.

Next also do some lovely soft jersey school trousers in slim fit which were excellent for skinny long legs. DD was also not keen on trousers but I got her to accept these as they have a "pretty charm" hanging off the waistband!

sashh Mon 01-Apr-13 09:56:46

What about looking at dance shops? Small children do ballet and dance and they must have the same problem.

WhoKnowsWhereTheChocolateGoes Mon 01-Apr-13 09:02:56

If the weather stays like this she'll still need them. Summer uniform is optional at my DCs school, I'm not getting out the gingham dresses any time soon.

My DD has culottes which she wears over tights, they are M&S I think, again possibly difficult with sizing but help keep tights up.

mrz Mon 01-Apr-13 09:00:00

Sorry OP forgot to answer

I sewed a small piece of broad elastic into the back of thick tights to make the waist fit.

mrz Mon 01-Apr-13 08:58:45

Summer uniform even if it's still snowing sunnyday?

sunnyday123 Mon 01-Apr-13 08:55:40

Will she be wearing them after easter anyway? All schools I know have the compulsory summer uniform from next week and those checked dresses look awful with tights!

1969Sarah Mon 01-Apr-13 04:58:13

Another vote for John Lewis school tights. Had awful problems with m&s ones - ended up binning the lot. JL ones are fab and stay up!

Startail Sun 31-Mar-13 20:55:05

Look on John Lewis website, 2-3 and 3-4 ordinary and 60 denier tights.
(Posh nursery uniform I guess, M&S don't go that small).

If all else fails take the feet off small tights and put socks over them, but I suspect pants over 60 denier ones may well fix your problem.

DD2 liked M&S thinner ones, but no grey in stock and they don't do very small.

Good luck, schools really don't understand the grief uniform gives parents.

DD1 wasn't the smallest Y6 on the planet and JL were our salvation then as the only people with age 12 checked dresses in stock.

orangeandlemons Sun 31-Mar-13 19:58:56

H and m do leggings like footless tights. That's where I got dd's from

EduCated Sun 31-Mar-13 18:17:02

If all else fails, try a bit of that anti-chafing gel for now.

Pyrrah Sun 31-Mar-13 18:08:08

It's only with school uniform that we have problems - the school she is at is very strict.

I'm going to try the knickers over tights and the leggings and socks thing... if I can find anywhere that does charcoal grey leggings.

Will also look for the thinner tights and see if they work better - it's such a pain that shops don't cater for uniform colours for v small children.

Thank you all for the suggestions! Very grateful... her poor legs look so sore.

PiHigh Sun 31-Mar-13 15:34:26

DD1 has loads of problems with tights atm. She is really slim and hers keep sliding down. Last week I sent her in with leggings and socks.

Footless tights are quite a bit tighter fitting than leggings, and don't seem to slip down on my 4yo dd the way normal tights do. She has no bottom grin You could also try posting separately about trousers for skinny girls, people usually have good suggestions whatever the shape if your dc!

Startail Sun 31-Mar-13 15:26:20

leggings over socks the same colour and boots out doors in winter. Little girls boots are really cute and cover a multitude of trouser length issues.

DD1 (15) has shot up in the last2-3 years, she has several pairs of leggings and jeans that can only be warn in winter with boots, or in summer with gladiator sandals that come well up her legs.

piprabbit Sun 31-Mar-13 15:23:38

You could try getting some of these tights from Sensory Smart or similar outlets.

I bought the seam free socks for my DS and I think they are great.

MrsSham Sun 31-Mar-13 15:21:16

Oh and next do them too.

MrsSham Sun 31-Mar-13 15:20:42

My dd wears the thiner denier tights rather than the wooly ones as she finds the same problem and they don't fall down. They do them in marks and also Asda sometimes. Not sure if they are I a size any smaller than age 5 though.

orangeandlemons Sun 31-Mar-13 15:16:32

Leggings don't have the same problem with slipping down, as there are no feet in them to pull them down.

Dd always had her gussets round her knees in tights at school, so I put her in leggings instead. Worked fine. That was in the days when she wouldn't wear trousers. Now trousers are all she'll wear

EduCated Sun 31-Mar-13 15:13:16

Um, could you stitch some elastic into the waist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now