How much time do you spend reading etc with you Rec. DC?

(36 Posts)
SparklyStream Sun 31-Mar-13 10:33:48

I'm finding it hard to decipher what's expected, vs what's healthy (ie not pushing too hard). How much time you you spend daily / weekly helping your DC with reading / writing etc?

MERLYPUSS Thu 04-Apr-13 10:47:36

I seem to think so. They pick out familiar words and in the credits look for their names. DT2's isn't so popular though.

SparklyStream Wed 03-Apr-13 21:31:04

Tv subtitles! I'd never thought of that. Do the kids pay much attention to them?

MERLYPUSS Wed 03-Apr-13 16:32:02

My DTs are in reception. DT1 will read anything and everything. DT2 struggles and shows no interest (he is maths mad though). I don't force him to read anything but he will happily listen and watch the words. We always have the subtitles on tv. He does read his school books but not interested in our books much - preferrring to draw.
I have dyslexia amoungst other reading problems. I used to make every excuse going no to read aloud to people so I am letting him take it at his own speed.

MsPepperminCreams Wed 03-Apr-13 12:59:35

He gets a new school reading book every day so we read that. Either the whole book or just for 10 mins, depending on if he's flagging or not. Some of the books are really long so we play it by ear. His other homework is about 30 mins set stuff on education city, and he has 25 spelling words to learn orally every half term. (I don't know if they are part of the 100 words list everyone's talking about?) I don't do anything else specific as I think that is more than enough, but I always look out for opportunities to do practical real life stuff with reading, writing and maths.

lisson Wed 03-Apr-13 08:49:06

I always read to exhaustion (or the end of the book) with my DC. Sometimes that meant a page, but they quickly built up to 3 or 5 pages and then a whole book in 10 mins.

I don't mean exhaustion like they were falling asleep, just until they ere beginning to flag a little.

(they both learned to read in a few months. after that they both could read in their heads but I still made them read a couple of times a week so they could work on their expression and comprehension.)

SparklyStream Tue 02-Apr-13 20:35:11

Good idea to let the school know what she's reading at home.

Sommink Sun 31-Mar-13 22:24:22

We are quite lucky at her school, they don't use ort exclusively. My dd loves the storyworlds ones. They use their own levelling as well which is sometimes a bit of a nightmare as they move the kids up without the kids knowing. DD was put on "hard yellow" about 4 weeks before moving to the next colour band but I think they use the colours in the same order as others. Her friend at a different school is on the colour above my dd but they bring home the same books. The book she brought home has definitely been levelled wrong somewhere an older version of the book is in one box, a newer version in the other.

DD has just got into the cat in the hat book from the library. I just tend to write in her log when she's read her own, the school are quite happy about it or at least haven't said otherwise.

SparklyStream Sun 31-Mar-13 22:16:15

Thanks everyone. Looks like we're in the ball-park. Blue Light - how do you attack the 100 words? We try to do 5 at a time, going back to ones she struggled with as spot checks. I find though that she might know a word one day, then seems to struggle with the same word a few days later. Is that normal??

Bluelightsandsirens Sun 31-Mar-13 21:45:30

We read DDs school books every day and work on the 100 key word sheet just reading and spelling out loud.

We read every evening but that can be from something simple like one, two flea or Ronald Dahl - DD picks the bedtime story.

We should work more on her writing because its very big but she prefers to read and spell out loud so we go with that.

Reading eggs and other apps on the iPad are great for when I'm busy and she wants something to do with her school work.

DD has just started to collect pennies and count them in groups, adding them up and writing them down in a sum, she will tap them to count the value or just group them as 4 pennies etc, this is very new and something she decided to do herself.

I love reading, always have a book on the go or now the kindle as well so it's natural for her to see me reading and I've always read to her from a tiny age so I do think that has helped grab her attention to books.

We also won some Pearson books through MN and they have been great basic read herself books so I would recommend them.

beanandspud Sun 31-Mar-13 21:34:00

DS is in reception and we read his school book each night - it's changed every day and takes about 10mins. We read to him at bedtime although he sometimes reads odd sentences as we go along depending on what mood he's in.

Aside from that, not a lot. When we are out at weekends we just try to find opportunities for him to read signs and what I would call 'practical stuff'. He gets more satisfaction trying to read 'you shop, we drop' from the side of an Eddie Stobart lorry or pizza toppings from a menu than he does an actual book.

Bakingtins Sun 31-Mar-13 21:28:56

10-15 mins a day of reading either the school banded book or something of his choice to a similar level. In addition we read to him at bedtime. 10 mins of Komodo maths on the computer before school. One piece of homework at the weekend for about half an hour which often involves writing or maths. He's Y1, did the same in reception except they didn't get the weekend homework and we did Reading Eggs instead of Komodo.

Periwinkle007 Sun 31-Mar-13 21:23:22

That does make sense Sommink if some of the children are struggling or have less support at home for whatever reason. As long as they are still moving her up levels when she needs to and she is keen then that is what is important. To be honest DD1 would happily do a lot less reading at school as she just wants to read her own books now not theirs.

We have had a couple of occasions where books have been put back in the wrong box and DD has brought home a random one, the only day they gave her one for the second time though she told me in the playground as we left school when she looked in her bag so I went back and asked them to change it. She went up a book band last week so is currently enthusiastic again but once she runs out of non fiction she will start to make a fuss I suspect. She doesn't like many ORT classic stories ones, just the magic key ones and by the time you get to level 8 there aren't an enormous number of other options. We did have one last term about dragons which she refused to read and we have had a few where I have had to write 'lay on her back with her legs in the air shouting the words out and complaining the book is boring and too easy' hmm well at least I am honest.

Sommink Sun 31-Mar-13 20:27:57

The children on the lower book bands seem to get more reading with teachers/TA's, one of the mums said she felt guilty as she never reads to her dd but at least the school does it everyday....

dd's books are changed by the school everyday if shes read them and they are good at checking my comments. They may not like the latest though, she came out with a book on her new book band which was the exact same book she read last week on the other band, she is refusing to read it. grin

I suppose I don't mind the school trying to catch the others up if they feel dd can cope without the school reading, as long as they keep her interested in school, shes got loads of time to grow over the next few years

Pozzled Sun 31-Mar-13 20:06:51

I do quite a lot it seems. At least one reading book a day, but will try to do 2 on weekends and holidays. Also some time on reading eggs at weekends, and I try to do a bit of phonics around once a week - I'm not very impressed with what they're doing in school, so trying to make up for it at home. I've also noticed that she's forming some letters incorrectly, so have been working on that occasionally.

She is also expected to write or draw something in her reading diary at least once a week.

I do try to make it fun for her though, only do 10-15 minutes at a time, and don't push it when she's obviously not up for it.

cocoplops Sun 31-Mar-13 19:55:38

My reception aged dc get 3 short stories read to him and then 5-10 min of reading from his reading books probably 5 times a week.

Periwinkle007 Sun 31-Mar-13 19:38:13

ah ok Sommink - my daughters class have only just started doing it, they spent the first term just on phonics, then started number work after Christmas but very basic and slowly. My daughter had been asking to do maths since starting school but as they weren't going to do it we just did it at home. Now they have quite a few of them working with up to 20 and some including my daughter have moved up to 30 now so they seem to be moving them on quite quickly now they have got them started. in her class I think they all read twice a week to either parent helper or TA, teacher does it more if child struggling I think otherwise my daughter hasn't read to the teacher since January. I don't know if they listen to the ones who are finding it more difficult daily, I expect they do but that makes sense in some ways although I wouldn't be very happy if at this age they didn't hear her read twice a week (they also get 1 other book change if need one)

formicaqueen Sun 31-Mar-13 19:33:52

My child seems to do very little reading one to one in school. 10 mins once a week? So I do believe reading at home is important even if it's only 5 mins a day.

formicaqueen Sun 31-Mar-13 19:31:37

We do 15 or 20 mins a day as a routine. Enough time to do one book steadily and quickly glance at his numbers.

If my children are exhausted, ill, out or run down, we don't bother though.

We are given lots of additional homework but we don't touch it as DS isn't keen on writing practice. The most important thing is reading anyway.

Sommink Sun 31-Mar-13 19:15:58

Not in her class...a lot of the children are struggling with 1-10, they have only just started looking at 10-20, she has been since the start of the year. The school are trying to keep her going at her level so they often ask us to do a little at home to help her. Found out recently that other children in her class read with a teacher between 3-5 times a week. My dd is lucky if they read with her once a week.

She's loves the diary, and I thought it would be a lovely thing for her to look back on when she's older

Periwinkle007 Sun 31-Mar-13 18:41:37

Sommink do they not do 10-20 in the class now? my daughter seems to, not all the children but some of them do. I am not sure what format though, we do +-= at home if she wants to do any maths so I know she knows them but I am not sure if at school it is more than and less than or counting on and counting back or whatever words they use.

nice idea about the diary - may adopt that one

Sommink Sun 31-Mar-13 18:36:18

DD is in reception, she reads her school book when she gets in from school. I then read a bedtime story to her and encourage her to join in if she wants to and recognises the words. She will read her school book again in the morning before school so she gets chance to repeat any words she struggled with the day before, however I realise I'm lucky as my dd enjoys reading.

With writing I ask her to write 2 things that she has done each day in a diary so she can look at it when she's older and see if she remembers all the things she did. We date this and she often draws a picture to go with it, I set it up in a similar format to what she does in her free writing time at school.

BUT neither of these things are set in stone...she enjoys it so we do it. When she's not in the mood or is busy doing other things she doesn't have to do either of these things.

With maths the school have asked me to start practising writing sums with her that involve numbers between 10-20 as an extension exercise so she can practise using +/-/= signs as they feel she is ready to have a go and it will help her transition to year !

Periwinkle007 Sun 31-Mar-13 18:21:35

my daughter's school says 10-20 mins reading at least 3 times a week. We read TO the kids every night and generally they each do some reading every day. On the days DD1 (reception) has a reading book from school (3 times a week) she will read that which can be anything from 10 mins to 20 mins depending how interested she is (non fiction can prompt a lot of discussion, equally 32 pages of Biff chip and kipper can prompt a tantrum) and on the other days she will either read a chapter or 2 of a different book or a whole story book like Winnie the Witch or something.

she gets 8-10 spellings once a week.

I like to work on the principle that they should at least do a little bit every day so that they get used to it and build stamina a bit but also that way if they don't want to do it some days it rarely gets to the situation where they haven't read for days on end. DD1's school have a reward scheme for if they read at home at least 3 times a week.

I am lucky they both like reading and have been very keen but if they were less keen then I would probably try reading it to them and just getting them to read the odd line or read alongside me or something.

hels71 Sun 31-Mar-13 13:52:29

DD reads her book to me for about 15-20 mins every day. I read to her for about the same at bedtime. She reads on her own for a similar amount of time at weekends and school holidays and schooldays when there is time...

Karoleann Sun 31-Mar-13 13:34:05

We probably do about 10 minutes a day DS2 gets bored if its much longer.
We don't always do a book, sometimes its just learning words, sometimes its doing a work book.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Sun 31-Mar-13 12:29:48

DS is now Yr2, but in reception we did 10 mins a day.

The other thing we did was to get him to read the first line of the bedtime reading book we were reading to him (Enid Blyton etc). It worked really well, some of the words were too advanced but because it was only the first line it didn't put him under pressure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now