What is the best way to get times tables into kids that don't really like maths or does it not matter?

(88 Posts)
Kazooblue Sun 24-Mar-13 13:53:46

Dd hates maths.

2,5,10,11and 3 picked up fair effortlessly.Now we're on 6 they're going in less easily and she hates maths so how what is the best way for the rest?

I'll show her the various tricks but if all else fails is just learning by rote ok?

fuzzpig Wed 27-Mar-13 13:34:52

Ooh, squeebles seems to have lots of different educational games on iPad

<prepares bank balance to take a hit>

bred Wed 27-Mar-13 13:38:23

Great fingers tip!

Another rhyme -
"Wakey wakey rise and shine, 7 x 7 is 49"

bubblesinthebath Wed 27-Mar-13 22:51:53

Loving the rhymes! I second the fingers for 9x also remember its 1 up 1 down eg 9-18-27 and answers add up to 9. doubling the answers for the 2x and 3x to help with the 4x and 6x. Multiplication grid is great when Dc realize that they only have to learn half of it. I couldn't do my multiplications until I was 16 and I worked my ass off going through them, wish I knew all of this when I was younger.

FullOfChoc Sun 31-Mar-13 21:38:12

Squeebles is going down very well here.

fuzzpig Mon 01-Apr-13 09:20:09

Same here FOC. DD too young for the times tables one but she has played the addition one and loves it! smile

BedHanger Mon 01-Apr-13 09:23:58

Ha, I never learnt my tables, just found it impossible. And yet I have done fairly well. God I hated maths at school.

stressyBessy22 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:37:41

Learning times tables is very important.Absolutely fundamental

bubblesinthebath Tue 02-Apr-13 23:26:02

Can I just mention I only mastered my 3x at 16 due to repetition in my job! grin. I was bottom set for maths all through school. Then became a manager for a betting office, working out winning bets using my brain! shock confused

mrz Wed 03-Apr-13 08:11:05

You can get by without knowing times tables but it takes longer.

flowerpowergirl Wed 03-Apr-13 08:35:01

the best way to learn tables is to have children - then you are forced to practice them every day/week. I am ace at them now smile only hope DC don't have to wait til they're 40 something!! confused

JollyPurpleGiant Wed 03-Apr-13 08:38:45

It does matter. I am pretty good at maths and studying it with the OU, but I am crap at tables. I struggle with 6, 7 and 8. It really holds me up. The problem is that I never learned them by rote at school. For some reason my year didn't do much tables. I really wish I had learned them then.

charlie1967 Thu 09-May-13 11:42:52

Dd downloaded this app yesterday, and loves it. Best thing is that you can see how well doing on each table. Seems that 7's are vexing!

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/times-tables-with-beluga/id627890528?mt=8

mummytime Belgium Thu 09-May-13 11:49:34

I never knew my tables, and got a high grade at A'level Maths, I did always say Maths was more fun when they got rid of the numbers. Maths ability and the ability to learn tables is nothing like the same thing.

However, I was able to calculate reasonably quickly because I knew enough "tables facts" and could quickly work out the others. I also seemed to do far more calculations at Primary school than my children have. Even my talented at Maths DD, definitely seems to know less Maths than I did at her age (eg. area of circles, lots of fractions, and very used to division).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now