Dirty protest

(35 Posts)
RosemaryandThyme Mon 18-Mar-13 11:29:03

Hello, DS age 6 has for the past week been smearing poop across toilet walls, when questioned he says he wants lots of germs so that he gets ill and wont have to go to school.
Has anyone had an experiance like this ?
Other than making him clear it up and checking with school, teachers view is that he is boisturious - not sure what to make of it all, thanks

rottenscoundrel Wed 20-Mar-13 14:24:22

they sound dreadful

can you move schools? doesn't sound like he is happy there at all, especially if he doesn't really have any friends

Haberdashery Wed 20-Mar-13 14:25:22

That's a good idea from MummyNoName. Could you ring up now and see if you could see the head teacher after your usual appointment?

RosemaryandThyme Wed 20-Mar-13 14:51:52

Good point - hadn't thought to make sure the letter is past on - will put that on my list of things to say right now.

It is not common for teachers at this school not to be there at parents evening, all other class teachers will be there, it is the case that in the four years I've had a child at this school this teacher hasn't attended a single parents evening.

RosemaryandThyme Wed 20-Mar-13 14:57:46

Moving schools is in the back of my mind, DH is against it as he has a "out of the frying pan into the fire " mentality.

If it comes to moving I would like to feel that I'd tried everything I could to resolve it first.

With constant repeats to Ds that mummy is on his side and will get this sorted out we've had our first morning for a week with a clean bathroom !

rottenscoundrel Wed 20-Mar-13 14:58:40

oh that's excellent news Rosemary! I hope it continues and you get somwhere this evening...

RosemaryandThyme Wed 20-Mar-13 17:25:05

A bit of progress at parents evening.

Teaching assistant had my letter, it had been discussed with Headmaster and she was prepared with a list of things the school were going to do.

The first few things were activities the children have always had ie a football and goal, praising children for good play, etc
I heard the words "fobbed-off" from this post, and pointed out that these made no difference and what would they do that was new.
She said the children would have ELSA review, I'm guessing this is some kind of circle time for the class, I pushed her as to when and she said this friday, other than that they would be providing a box of cars outside and extra high levels of praise and clamping down on the rough and tumble..... I said thank you for taking it seriously, that the measures were less significant and direct than I was hoping and whilst I doubted they would make much difference was prepared to give them a chance to embed.
She was a bit taken aback.
I asked to review progress one week after easter break and we have booked a follow-up meeting.
It was all a bit hostile (from my side) and a bit "gosh this parent isn't going to capitulate", from her side.

acebaby Wed 20-Mar-13 18:41:33

well done for standing your ground. I have found that helps to go in very early to speak to the new teacher about issues that may well persist. The teacher will be less defensive, if you are talking about problems that did not start under his/her watch, so to speak. So you may well get much further early next term.

The only other thing I can think of that you could do is to send in your DS with a 'topic of conversation'. When my DS1 was having trouble settling into a new school, I sent him in with a 'Where's Wally?' book to look at if he didn't have anyone to play with, and he told me that a few other children came over to have a look. I also subscribed him to Minecraft (very popular computer game for his age). He is now much more integrated - although will never be the popular cool kid!

clam Wed 20-Mar-13 20:57:16

Sorry, but this school sounds shite. Firstly, what the hell are they thinking of sending a TA to do parents' evening - even if this class teacher is leaving, then a summing up of progress so far would be nice. I'm staggered to read that the teacher has not attended them previously either. It is an expected part of a teacher's role.
Poo-smearing is extreme behaviour and they (in partnership with you) should be taking serious measures to get to the bottom of what's troubling him. This means the Head Teacher should be going out of his/her way to help too. I would bypass the teacher/TA at this point and make an appointment to see the Head asap. Do not wait until next term - it might be a while before the new teacher gets her head around the situation. Act now.

RosemaryandThyme Thu 21-Mar-13 12:40:35

With taking things into school - this is an irritation to me - basically the school ban absolutley anything (other than show and tell items) at all times - I have in the past snuck books, mags, top-trumps etc into their zippies with the throught that they might find a child with similar interest or just to pass the time - each time my children have been reprimarnded, had the item taking off them and passed back to me at collection time.

Today both boys are on a school trip - three hours on the coach - neither wanted to go, it has taken two weeks to persuade them and over an hour to drag them through washing and dressing this morning - when I said to them pop something in your pocket to do on the coach they froze, oldest Ds (8) said they were too frightend in case they got told off.

I pointed out to them that on the trip before christmas they (my ds's ) had told me other children had toys from home on the coach and they said "but school says WE are not allowed - I couldn't make head nor tail of this.
Ds 8, said he thought it was because Three years ago in reception he had lots a bit of lego in the playground and the teacher was furious that he asked her to help find it....jeez the more I think about school generally the more I thinking there is a whole load of tripe going on.

acebaby Thu 21-Mar-13 19:56:29

sad that's a shame. It does sound like the school are particularly inflexible. I hope the trip wasn't too bad. Three hours on a school coach sounds grim!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now