Calling all teachers and TA: ADHD

(13 Posts)
clare40 Fri 15-Mar-13 09:09:16

Hi, I'm hoping those in the profession might help. My ds (nearly 6) is strongly showing signs of adhd, to be honest this is been going on since he was 2 yrs old but we have always hoped he will "grow out" of it. Unfortunately, his "hyperness", lack of attention and impulsivity just doesn't seem to be improving. He was referred earlier this year and we saw a Pead who wants to give it a little longer before a diagnosis. His school is doing their best - lots of short goals, time with the TA and all fairly positive encouragements, but unfortunately this seem to have limited effect. His teacher (and we) are of the opinion he is very bright, but is falling behind because he can't concentrate. The teacher believes my ds is really struggling with the school environment. The problem is - how do we help him more? There is whispers of medication, from the Pead (but he said it as very much in the future if a diagnosis is made) and his teacher asked about it - but did not give an opinion.

So teachers - how would you help this little boy? Should I press ahead with diagnoses and medication? What do you think of medication? Is there ANYTHING else I can do??

Please help if you can, I'm so tired of worry about my little person. I just want to do whats best for him.

Also, before anyone asks he does loads of sports, eats really well and we use omega, but unfortunately these have little effect xx

OmiQueenofTypose Fri 15-Mar-13 09:16:34

Can you push for diagnosis? I'd suggest OT input. Can the paed or the school refer you?

OmiQueenofTypose Fri 15-Mar-13 09:17:43

Also it might be worth posting in the SN board, as parents often know of many more strategies than teachers! (and I'm speaking as someone who's been on both sides).

clare40 Fri 15-Mar-13 09:52:57

Thank you replying Omi - what's an OT?

OmiQueenofTypose Fri 15-Mar-13 10:10:13

An OT is an occupational Therapist (OT also can stand for occupational therapy itself). An OT might be able to suggest some strategies for home/school which could help your ds calm a little, or help him maintain concentration for a bit longer. My main experience has been of the OT input my ds (ASD) has received, but I also worked with OTs when teaching and found that they did offer practical ideas of what we could do.

clare40 Fri 15-Mar-13 18:34:17

Great suggestion, thank you

auntevil Fri 15-Mar-13 19:37:22

Push for a dx from the paediatrician.
Ask the school if your DS has been seen by the Ed Psych. They can often come up with strategies that might be successful in the class. I would already hope that the CT has asked the school SENco for strategies.
You say that your DS has time with the TA - does this help his ability to focus and complete work/make progress?
Imo, it sounds like your DS might benefit from having more 1-1 support. For this to be on-going, it is best to ask the school to apply, or apply yourself, for a statutory assessment - with the aim of getting a statement providing a good level of support

bigTillyMint Fri 15-Mar-13 19:42:49

I have worked with (and continue to work with!) many children with dx of ADHD. There can be quite a range of behaviours (particularly when there is co-morbidity with another diagnosis) and therefore a range of strategies which might help.

I agree - it would probably be helpful to get a fuller assessment , although the Pead is the expertconfused If the school is putting lots of stragegies in place with limited effect, maybe it would be worth applying for statutory assessment.

clare40 Fri 15-Mar-13 20:32:10

Yes stenco is involved, he goes to a private school so I'm not sure how it works about getting a statement. At the moment they are being very supportive, but obviously if that changes we will reconsider our school choice. I think he is better on a one to one, but still really struggles. He can't manage a sentence as he forgets what his writing half way through.

clare40 Fri 15-Mar-13 20:34:29

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The Pead didn't think he was showing any co-mobidity signs at the moment.

What has been yr experience of seeing kids on medication?

auntevil Fri 15-Mar-13 20:42:19

Co morbidity could include things like sensory processing disorders and dyslexia. Over responsiveness to stimuli, or reading difficulties could exacerbate the ADHD.

clare40 Fri 15-Mar-13 20:47:49

Sorry about the typos, I'm on my phone - and that should say he's (not his!)

bigTillyMint Sat 16-Mar-13 07:52:39

Clare, re meds...

I think meds affect different children slightly differently, and of course there are different meds (some slow release, etc) and some parents choose to give only for school, others do continuous.... It probably depends on how "severe" the ADHD is and any co-morbidity as well.
It usually takes the doctors a little time to get the dosage right, but once they do, it enables the child to focus better (obviously) and make progress. In some cases, the child loses their appetite a bit (but the doctors monitor this) during the day.

I think there are a lot of parents on MN who prefer to try to manage the ADHD "naturally" through diet and supplements - you will probably find good advice on the Special Needs boards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now