reading recommendations for 8 yo girl

(40 Posts)
kayjay70 Wed 13-Mar-13 10:28:41

Hi all,
I've just joined mumsnet and have had a quick look through the topics but can't find an answer - forgive me if it's been covered elsewhere (and if it has I'd be grateful of a point in the right direction incase I'm doing this horribly wrong smile )
My daughter is 8 (year 4) and has a reading age of over 12 which is creating a problem in terms of finding her reading books that she finds interesting / challenging / not too easy but don't start to deal with more 'adult' or 'teenage' themes.
She's read all Roald Dahl, adores all the David Walliams books and is starting on some Michael Morpurgo - can anyone recommend any others - her friends are mostly reading rainbow fairies and they just don't interest her.
Many thanks!
Karen

Yfronts Fri 22-Mar-13 16:28:37

book people - LADY GRACE MYSTERIES COLLECTION FOR ABOUT 5 POUNDS.

Looster Fri 22-Mar-13 15:27:56

DD loves books by Gareth P Jones - thornthwaite inheritance and considine curse

pancakesfortea Fri 22-Mar-13 15:12:52

I would endorse what everyone has said about the classics - the slightly archaic style gives a bit of extra reading challenge. You do have to watch out for the language and casual racism though. (Doesn't mean don't read them - just means you have to be ready to talk about why people used words like "nigger" then, and we don't now).

For something more up to date we have loved Darcy Burdock by Laura Dockrill. It has a female lead but my (quite grown up) 7yo boy absolutely loved it.

The Philip Pullman kids books are great -Ruby in the Smoke etc.

stormforce10 Sun 17-Mar-13 12:58:54

shallweshop You can get the entire Secret Seven collection through the book people for £15.99. My dd is 7 and has just started reading Enid Blytons and she loves these and also Famous Five

nancy75 Sat 16-Mar-13 22:04:34

Dd like the worst witch, books about a girl called Emily Windsnap (she is a mermaid)

Schnitzel - me too. I think DB1 has "liberated" my parents' copies, though sad

SchnitzelVonKrumm Sat 16-Mar-13 21:42:38

Stealthsquiggle - Malcolm Saville! God I loved those books.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 14-Mar-13 20:50:42

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen
The Moon of Gomrath
The Silver Sword

trinity0097 Thu 14-Mar-13 16:53:45

What about some non-fiction, a biography for example, one of the boys in our yr 4 is reading Bear Grylls bio at the moment.

wheresthebeach Thu 14-Mar-13 10:33:21

The Laren St John series is also good - Dolphin Song etc

kayjay70 Thu 14-Mar-13 08:34:10

wow wow wow - you are all amazing - thank you so much - lots of fab ideas (and some I may go back to I'd forgotten how fab some of these were!!)
We're off to the library to stock up!
Thanks again thanks
K x

montmartre Wed 13-Mar-13 22:21:44

What about Redwall?
Chronicles of Narnia
Arthur Ransome
The Coral Island
Pippi Longstocking
The Moomins (about 7 books)
Alan Garner (Weirdstone of Brisingamen)
Ramona Quimby Aged 8 by Beverly Cleary
I think I started The Chalet School books around 8 too.
And then Judy Blume... (not 'Forever'!)

BrigitBigKnickers Wed 13-Mar-13 22:10:54

Classics such as:

Anne of Green Gables
Ballet Shoes
Black Beauty
Anything by Michael Morpurgo (Especially the Butterfly Lion)
Series of Unfortunate Events books (Lemony Snickett)
Enid Blyton School stories (Malory Towers/ St Claires)
Laura Ingalls Wilder books
The Demon Headmaster

simpson Wed 13-Mar-13 21:58:05

Harry Potter
Black beauty
The Indian in the Cupboard
My Friend Flicka
5 Children and It
How to Train a Dragon
Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Yy to Rosemary Sutcliffe and Michael Morpurgo, BTW.

I loved Arthur Ransome (all of them except 'we didn't mean to go to sea' which is just annoying) and Lone Pine Five (Malcolm someone). I think if you go for 'classics' (ie the books a lot of us read as children) it is a lot easier to find non-boring books without teenage angst themes.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Wed 13-Mar-13 21:48:12

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase series by Joan Aiken going down well here.

neolara Wed 13-Mar-13 21:46:21

My 8yo dd thoroughly enjoys:
How to train your dragon series
Lemony Snicket
Mr Gum
Percy Jackson

pointythings Wed 13-Mar-13 21:44:13

Squeak DD1 read a gigantic Gerald Durrell anthology when she was 9 - starting with My Family And Other Animals, but also The Bafut Beagles, The Drunken Forest, A Zoo in my Luggage, Menagerie Manor. She's also read Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons. I had to explain some of the more adult references to her (chimps masturbating and so on) but she was more interested in the comedy and in the facts about animals. They're great books, very accessible but with challenging vocab.

Bonsoir Wed 13-Mar-13 21:43:12

I buy the Usborne Young Reading Series Three books for my DD too - especially the historical biographies (Victoria, Marie Antoinette etc).

pointythings Wed 13-Mar-13 21:41:48

Can I just add the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage - big fantasy books, witty, lots of substance. Also Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series - there are 8 so far - and his Egyptian series (3 so far).

DD2 is now in Yr5 but is just like yours, reading age off the scale, and it is hard to find age appropriate material that is challenging. A nice mix of the classics and new authors works well.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series.

I think letting her read what she wants is a good idea, but IME she will probably want to read big interesting stuff - however the odd Diary of a Wimpy Kid won't hurt either. DD2 still vegs out with Judy Moody when she's tired.

Bonsoir Wed 13-Mar-13 21:40:24

wordfactory recommended Chips, Beans & Limousines and its sequels for my 8 year old DD a few months ago and she raced through them.

VerySmallSqueak Wed 13-Mar-13 21:37:11

I would never have thought of My Family and Other animals without this thread.
My DD will love that!

morethanpotatoprints Wed 13-Mar-13 21:34:03

I would just let her read what she wants to read. As she is so far advanced they don't have to progress her abilities at all.
Just encourage her to read for fun, take her to the library and let her choose, even something under her ability won't be wasted if its fun and she enjoys it.

member Wed 13-Mar-13 21:24:01

My dd is an 8 yr old year 3 & on top of a lot of the ones that have been mentioned, she also enjoys the Sophie & The Shadow Woods series & Monstrous Maud. Clarice Bean & the spin-off Ruby Redfort books too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now