Bit annoyed with teacher over spellings

(105 Posts)
MrsCampbellBlack Wed 06-Mar-13 20:14:56

I know its trivial and I probably need to be told to get a grip but I was a bit surprised by what happened at pick up earlier.

Yr4 child has spelling test tomorrow - so I always check when he comes out of school on a wednesday that he has his spellings so we can double check he knows them tonight.

So he comes out without them - I send him back in to get them from his desk. He comes out and tells me he's not allowed to get them.

I assume he's got the wrong end of the stick so go down to his classroom - his teacher is at the door and I ask if I could get his spellings. Teacher says 'I've already told him its not a good time he should have asked earlier so he'll just have to try his best'.

I said ok and walked away but am a bit annoyed.

I know DS should be more organised but really would it have been so hard to grab his spellings from his desk?

Go on tell me she is absolutely right and I'm being totally precious I can take it wink

Will add that spellings not his forte so he really does need to practice them a lot.

Oh and should add the school pride themselves on parents being able to have chats with teachers at pick up so I wasn't breaking any rules.

redskyatnight Thu 07-Mar-13 20:22:23

Glad it was resolved.
I'd have assumed that "not a good time" meant one of the children in the classroom had just been sick, something had been spilt or there was an argument in progress between 2 children.
Which are the main reasons my DC are told not to go somewhere in school when there seems to be no reason that they shouldn't.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 08-Mar-13 10:49:27

I don't think there was a crisis - I still think she'd had a bad day. But look she apologised, I said 'no problem' and we moved on smile

Laura4041 Sat 09-Mar-13 06:34:52

Quite right. Our HT never says sorry. I think it would kill her. She seems to be creating a culture of that attitude. We all make mistakes, sometimes a genuine verbal apology for a mistake or poor judgement is all that is needed to completely change someone's view of a person or situation.

The teacher was wrong, she apologised as soon as she saw you and quite rightly you accepted and moved on.

Wellthen Sun 10-Mar-13 14:44:08

I refused a parent entry a few days ago. She looked annoyed when I wouldnt explain why and I actually used the exact same phrase 'its not a good time'. I said I would see her first thing the next day so she didnt have to wait long.

She too would not have thought I had anything waiting for me or to go to because she wouldt have been able to see the child lying under my desk ripping up his maths book. The TA and I were physically preventing him from leaving because he had told us he would beat the 'living shit' out of another child on the way home and if we tried to stop him he would do the same to us. Knowing this child as I do I know that he is physically capable of this but that once he was calm he would see sense and not take this action. It took him about 10 mins after that parent left to come out from under my desk, apologise, accept his consequence and walk home. (In case anyone cares we rang his parents and the parents of the child he was going to beat up to ensure nothing did happen. It didnt.)

So, in conclusion you have absolutely no grasp on the whole story, like everyone on mn, assume that all teachers are obstructive and stupid. I sometimes wonder why I bother.

exoticfruits Mon 11-Mar-13 07:02:58

Exactly Wellthen- it was the sort if scenario that I had in mind at the beginning of this thread and I don't think that any other information should be given other than 'not a good time' either during or afterwards. I was amazed at the number of posters who thought they knew better and just wanted to over ride her or complain to the Head etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now