Can we talk about approaching free reading

(60 Posts)

I'm not bothered by the levels per say, but school send home gold. And I'm not bothered by the label free, I don't really know what it means.

Dd is in Y1 and doing very well. School sent home today (after some nagging via reading record) a happy families book. Dd read it very very easily. Too easily I think. It was a delight to hear her read it, voices, intonation etc.

Relationship with teacher is hostile (a whole other long story) hence wanted to talk here, get reassurance, see how others went though this stage.

So after gold band, it's white and lime? Is this a long or short progression?
I can't find any Biff Chip books on Oxford owl at this level. Do they stop?

littleducks Wed 27-Feb-13 13:45:21

Dd is on yr2 and not a free reader. Nobody in her class is, I think all the infants are on a scheme. I'm really pleased as this means she reads books she wouldn't necessarily choose including some great non fiction things which provide new vocabulary. Of course she reads stuffs she likes/wants at home but I think it is good to keep her reading broad at this point.

simpson Wed 27-Feb-13 19:00:00

In my DC school no body is allowed to become a free reader in KS1 so when they go into yr3 there are loads of them becoming free readers as they have been kept on lime level for ages.

Dreading it with DD as she in on white/lime already and has another 2 years plus to go before year 3...

noisytoys Wed 27-Feb-13 19:02:19

Simpson they must make an exception. Keeping your DD on lime level for 2 and a half years would be ridiculous

simpson Wed 27-Feb-13 19:06:41

I really hope not...

She did have a TA assigned to her and another child in reception but it has been taken away due to "lack of resources" sad

She now has to sit through phonics lessons with the rest of her class learning how to read words she has been able to do for 18 months <<sigh>> it would not bother me except it is starting to bother her, but at least it's only 20 mins of the whole day smile

noisytoys Wed 27-Feb-13 19:11:02

My heart breaks for your DD because my DD is the same age and level as yours but the schools attitudes are so different. My DD goes to Y1 for maths, Y2 for phonics and has a TA for the work she does in reception. I don't understand why schools differ and LAs differ. In my eyes there is no difference in needs between a very bright child and a special needs child they are both at each ends of the spectrum but bright children seem to be forgotten sometimes it's not fair sad

survivingwinter Wed 27-Feb-13 19:59:42

Noisytoys - please don't assume bright children and special needs children are at opposite ends of the spectrum. My dd is bright but also happens to have cerebral palsy! Believe you me, SN children get forgotten too it's all about the school being able to cater effectively for each individual child.

noisytoys Wed 27-Feb-13 20:33:44

Sorry I didn't mean it like that, special needs was the wrong choice of words. What I meant was my DD has an IQ in the top 0.4% and is well catered for in her state school. If a child with an IQ in the bottom 0.4% didn't have their needs met there would quite rightly be an outcry, yet some schools think it is ok not to adequately cater for children with the highest IQs and who are way ahead of their peers. It's almost as if being 'gifted / talented' is a taboo and something to be hush hush about

simpson Wed 27-Feb-13 20:45:12

They have recognised she is "exceptionally gifted" (their words) but want her to enjoy reception and play etc (which is fine with me) but DD herself wants more.

The Head of EYFS is not prepared to do this because she is so young ( DD) but her class teacher does do things on the sly like spelling tests, comprehension questions, she has sat last yrs yr1 phonics test (and passed) and is hoping she can do this years one a year early.

The HT also gives her a reading book and listens to her read each week.

S it is not all bad, but tbh the only thing I wanted was for DD to do guided readi g with kids at or around the same level as her (so yr2) as I think she would love it but the school said nosad

simpson Wed 27-Feb-13 20:45:56

So blush

learnandsay Wed 27-Feb-13 21:07:01

I don't think the colour of the sticker on the school book matters as much as whether or not the teacher is aware of what the child can actually do. My daughter went up a level at the beginning of this week and the teacher wrote in her diary "good blending with unfamiliar words and auto-correcting!!" (With the exclamation marks)

If she'd been reading books with longer words in earlier the teacher would have known earlier that she could blend long words and "figure them out."

You really want a teacher who is teaching the child not one who is taking ages to find out what the child can already do!

Pastsell
That's excellent advice and just what I was after.
Thank you

Re Enid Blyton, yes it is so hard to read aloud, we do Ameila Jane but there are so many character voices to do! I want her to read it herself and understand it so we can pretend to talk like a 1950's family!

I think that I have the fiction sussed.

I have very little non fiction in the house. Do books like cook books count ?

simpson Thu 28-Feb-13 16:24:51

I guess they must. DD's weakness is definately non fiction. Using the glossary (which she is fine with) , contents page and index etc...and retrieving information on "why" type questions (her weakness).

So brain picking again.
Managed to get few minutes with teacher. Are the following acceptable?

Reading 1-2-1 twice a term with an adult
Reading a gold band More Robins book then being given a Purple band Magpies book?

seeker Fri 01-Mar-13 20:31:26

Is she enjoying reading? Are you reading to her lots? Are the books she's getting from school roughly the right level for her?

If so, then don't worry- she's doing fine.

sittinginthesun Fri 01-Mar-13 20:54:24

My DS2 is in year 1. Just moved up to Ginn Reading 360 level 8 (no idea what colour band, but 7 chapters, 40 odd pages long etc).

He does guided reading weekly, but probably only heard by teacher twice a term - but I have v. good relationship with teacher. I listen to him read, note in his reading record when I think he needs listening to, and it is always acted on.

I was just saying to the teacher earlier that I like the scheme books for infants. We have a fabulous library, but there are only so many books an infant child wants to read. I like the Ginn books - they are good little stories, a good length etc.

Of course, we also have Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, Beast Quest etc, but I think the structure of the scheme is good, until the child shows an inclination to move on naturally to free reading.

simpson Fri 01-Mar-13 20:55:01

Are you sure she is not heard more often but it's not recorded iyswim??

The variation in colour band...does your DD choose her own school book? (although IMO they should be banded all gold together, all purple together etc) or is one fiction and another non fiction??

DD reads at a lower level for non fiction as it depends on the individual book, anything from stage 7-11...

sittinginthesun Fri 01-Mar-13 20:58:04

Actually, reading again - what Seeker said. Is she enjoying reading?

thegreylady Fri 01-Mar-13 21:09:11

I was just looking at the ORT levels and the colours seem to stop at a dark red with an age of 10/11 where are gold and white please?
my dgs is 6,in Yr1 and reading turqoise with some purple which seems ok for his age.He will 'free read' age appropriate books at home though he prefers non-fiction.

mrz Fri 01-Mar-13 21:14:42

The colour bands are
pink
red
yellow
blue
green
orange
turquoise
purple
gold
white
lime
brown
grey
dark blue
dark red

simpson Fri 01-Mar-13 21:14:48

Thegreylady - gold is stage 9, white is 10 and lime is 11...

Haberdashery Fri 01-Mar-13 21:17:20

DD (also Y1) has been off reading scheme books for some time. She brings home age appropriate 'real' books now. She rarely reads with an adult at school any more, apart from guided reading, as (quite reasonably) their limited time to hear readers is MUCH better spent on those who cannot yet read fluently.

Your DD is doing well for her age/year group. I wouldn't worry about it, honestly. If I were you, I'd try to get her as much appropriate and interesting reading material as you possibly can and let her get on with it. It doesn't matter if she occasionally gets an easyish book home from school as long as she doesn't mind.

sittinginthesun Fri 01-Mar-13 21:20:26

Mrz - any idea what Ginn level 8 pocket books are?

mrz Fri 01-Mar-13 21:27:43

white /lime

sittinginthesun Fri 01-Mar-13 21:34:15

Thanks. smile

She loves reading. And yes she is doing well. But that's all her own steam, so I sort of wonder what else is achievable.

Teacher choice to send home gold then purple. In guided reading she has to do orange and just recently turquoise. Her group expands from bottom up but she isn't allowed to join the group above, Even though a child in the group above has the same book as her just 3 weeks ago.

I'm not happy with their methods of madness. Just wondering if anyone else has similar scenario which would normalise them or whether they are actually mad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now