Headteacher and five staff suspended!

(352 Posts)
Educationalshame Tue 26-Feb-13 20:55:08

Have name changed so not to out myself. My children go here sad
I received a letter and that is it. Teachers will not really speak about it to me. What do I do?? Reading the attitudes of the other members of staff "What are teachers supposed to do?" Does not reassure me. Advice? Thoughts? Anyone..

learnandsay Tue 26-Feb-13 21:34:17

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Educationalshame Tue 26-Feb-13 21:34:23

learnandsay

I have to drop my children off tomorrow to this very school and I am upset, angry and do not think i will be able to do it. Maybe I am over reacting but your comments are just not what I need to hear right now. I wanted advice that was all.

numbum Tue 26-Feb-13 21:36:45

Hands up whose signing up for learnandsay's school? About as many people who listen to her advice I imagine

TomDudgeon Tue 26-Feb-13 21:36:46

I would take them in. If they've been suspended that means they won't be there and everything will be monitored intensively. If anything it'll be a better place this week than it was a fortnight ago.
I understand your reticence though and guess you're slightly in shock

LineRunner Tue 26-Feb-13 21:36:47

OP have you had any communication from the Chair of Governors? - website, text, etc?

lougle Tue 26-Feb-13 21:37:42

"Kicking a teacher is misbehaving nobody needs to kick the teacher no matter how special their needs might be."

When a child is in a 'meltdown' they lose executive function. That is, they are no longer able to plan their actions and think through the consequences. They are merely reacting to the stimulus they receive.

The child goes into 'flight or fight' mode. If you block their flight they have no option at that point but to go into fight mode because they are not in control of their actions and they are not able to process that the person blocking their path is trying to keep them safe.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Tue 26-Feb-13 21:37:46

EducationalSham - it must have come as a horrible shock to all of the parents. Especially reading the Daily Mail , they can make winning the lottery sound like the worst thing that could happen to someone. Read the article again with a critical eye - there's a lot of he said/she said and supposition... very little fact.

The teachers can't say anything sad They are in the awful position of having to keep quiet and not be able to talk about it. No matter what it makes them all look bad - I think a little compassion for the teachers, from the parents would go a long way right now.

It's hard to know what has gone on here - time will tell. But I'd put money on it not being anywhere near as bad as the paper is making out, nothing like it. Even the woman in the paper who claims her son was put in the small room they are referring to as a cupboard - I'd have to wonder about her... if it really is like an under stairs cupboard, why didn't she do anything about it and if lots of children have been put in there then why have none of them told their parents??

I would want to hear the teachers and the head teacher out before jumping to any conclusions.

I wouldn't be worried about sending your children in though, now more than ever they will be being handled with kid gloves.

Educationalshame Tue 26-Feb-13 21:39:35

I have been told that an investigation is still on-going and I will be kept up-to-date. That is the reply I get off everyone I try to communicate with.

ReallyTired Tue 26-Feb-13 21:40:07

Many special schools use a calm room to cope with a violent out of control child. We don't know how long the child was in the "cupboard" or even if it is a cupboard.

I could understand staff taking an out of control child into a padded room, but you would two members of staff to stay with the child. There is a difference between taking a child somewhere to calm down and locking them in a cell.

I suppose the difficulty is that schools are having to manage children major special needs without the resources or the training.

Feenie Tue 26-Feb-13 21:40:10

That story has changed since lunchtime - then it described the child attacking teachers with a knife he had taken from the kitchen.

learnandsay Tue 26-Feb-13 21:40:55

Maybe you should phone a family member then. In a forum you're going to get the opinion of anyone who wants to post one. Personally I think having disruptive children in classes of well behaved children is a phenomenally stupid idea. Children who want to kick teachers and shout and scream in lessons should go to a teacher-kicking shouty screamy school as far away as possible.

jamdonut Tue 26-Feb-13 21:42:53

" I just do not want to send my children in now."

Depends if your children are violently misbehaved,I would think. If they are ordinary reasonable children,there will be no reason to think that anything like that would ever happen to them.This child is obviously out of control if it needed that amount of people to sort him out. And to be fair, it is not likely that the "cupboard" will ever be used again now all this has happened , is it?

Feenie Tue 26-Feb-13 21:43:07

You don't know why a child is disruptive - sometimes children react to something horrible that has happened. Supposing your child suffered a terrible event and reacted badly - would you still want them sent away to a school as far away as possible? How would that be fair or helpful to the child?

numbum Tue 26-Feb-13 21:43:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Educationalshame Tue 26-Feb-13 21:45:01

I know they need to go in tomorrow it just has really shocked me. I know there has been complaints about this before but I never really took note as it was from another mum telling me. So did not know how truthful it was. My children have never said anything about this. They know the reflection room is there but they have never been sent to it.

learnandsay Tue 26-Feb-13 21:46:03

BooksandaCuppa Tue 26-Feb-13 21:46:34

1) All behaviour is a form of communication

2) Behaviour (good or bad) does not happen in a vaccum

3) Neither of the above excuse bad behaviour but knowing nothing of the circumstances of this child/ren and the way they were dealt with, it would be extremely foolish to comment on the situation.

Educationalshame Tue 26-Feb-13 21:46:38

Feenie

No there was no knife involved.

Feenie Tue 26-Feb-13 21:48:02

I'm sure there wasn't - but that was what the DM saw fit to splash all over the story earlier today!

BooksandaCuppa Tue 26-Feb-13 21:48:06

And 4) [not that I believe in him] but 'There but for the grace of God go I'...

LineRunner Tue 26-Feb-13 21:48:13

Gosh, learnandsay, I won't personally attack you. Please come and debate with me.

So, these teacher-kicking shouty screamy schools as far away as possible - how would they work and be funded, then?

numbum Tue 26-Feb-13 21:48:27

Oh report me, see if I care. I've only said what others think

AmberLeaf Tue 26-Feb-13 21:48:34

I second that numbum.

OP this would worry me too, but as someone else said, little chance of anything like that happening now they are under the spotlight.

Feenie Tue 26-Feb-13 21:49:16

Educationalshame Tue 26-Feb-13 21:50:43

Thank you. I guess I will have to just go with it and see what responses come from it all. I got the most upset tonight when I saw it on the 6 o clock news I think it really hit home sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now