World book day costumes

(14 Posts)
Crummymum Tue 26-Feb-13 11:55:14

Please could someone make some suggestions as to what my reception DC could go as for a book character? He wants to go as Batman, but if anyone has any ideas of simple costumes for more 'book' like subjects (!), I'd be really grateful!!

Piggychunk Tue 26-Feb-13 12:20:55

My DS also Yr R also wanted to go as Batman but I managed to suggest a Knight as he loves a Merlin book we have at home so maybe that or Harry Potter, A Gruffalo or my older DS Yr 3 ( who hates dressing up) is going as a pirate

mummatotwo Tue 26-Feb-13 13:56:38

Harry and his bucketful of dinosaurs - jeans, checked shirt, bucket, plastic dinosaurs

Harry Potter - school uniform, black cape, round plastic glasses, wand or stick

Going on a bear hunt - brown onesie!

chibi Tue 26-Feb-13 14:00:08

my dd is doing this too - she is in Y1.

do most people make costumes, or is it expected that you buy one (i am not english, and i want her to be like everyone else!)

The boy from the Oliver Jeffers books. Red and white stripey tshirt, blue jeans, red and white wooly hat. Cuddly penguin for extra effect.

MammaMedusa Tue 26-Feb-13 14:02:31

In reception, my son went as Charlie Bucket. He wore his own clothes and had a sash which I made of chocolate bars and a golden ticket.

noisytoys Tue 26-Feb-13 14:03:30

Reception DD is going as a rainbow fairy. She is obsessed with them

There's a Beatrix potter thread running atm too, which has lots of ideas for simple costumes.

MammaMedusa Tue 26-Feb-13 14:05:47

Chibi - it will be a mix.

I usually end up with a mixture of bought and made items. e.g. in reception DD wore a princess dress but she had a large badge which we made labelled "PEA" with a pea in the middle of it.

You also need to think about being not too warm, not too hot, able to do school work, able to eat, able to play and able to go to the loo!

So for example, there are always lots of Angelina Ballerinas (wear ballet gear, make or buy ears, paint on whiskers). But these are really only a good idea if your child can manage their own leotard.

MammaMedusa Tue 26-Feb-13 14:06:24

Sorry not too COLD not too HOT. (not too warm, not too hot makes no sense).

Thewhingingdefective Tue 26-Feb-13 14:09:16

My Year Two DTs want to go as Mr Bump and The Three Little Pigs (all three). My suggestions were Mr Tumnus, Where's Wally, Heidi or Pippi Longstocking but they were having none of it.

spudpudding Tue 26-Feb-13 14:53:39

Horrid Henry, Pirate, Billys Bucket (boy with blue bucket) send the book in, also done Bob the spaceman (box and tinfoil) anything goes!

Lynned Tue 26-Feb-13 14:57:11

My Ds used to refuse to dress up. He is a Jack, so a bit of trailing plant from the garden, and he was Jack and the beanstalk, they couldn't argue with that grin

Crummymum Tue 26-Feb-13 21:04:16

Fantastic ideas! Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now