Moving to Cornwall - changing schools help

(6 Posts)
finleymummy Tue 26-Feb-13 13:58:52

Thanks Lazytoad, I believe we have the same dates but will double check that.

Lazytoad Tue 26-Feb-13 13:53:59

Check the term dates, Some of Cornwall have a different Easter hol to up country so it might be that you don't need to take your child out of school to visit new schools.

finleymummy Tue 26-Feb-13 13:28:08

We are planning to move to the Perranporth/St Agnes area during Summer. I have looked at a few school reports and websites with a view to visiting the schools. I am a primary teacher myself so know what to expect in a good school and will be visiting during school time. I want my child to have the best transition to a new school as he is very happy in his current school, and has some great friends. I feel that after the holidays is the best time for a new start in many ways. Perhaps we can visit the schools around Easter when we are there.

Snowme Mon 25-Feb-13 14:07:49

You may need to ring round the primary schools n the area you intend movingm to first, as they may not have any spaces.

I moved from a village to a medium sized town recently And there were only two spaces left in all of the 9 primary schools, both quelle surprise, at the worst Ofsted rated ones. I turned them both down (they were also a mile and half walk away) and my daughter is ow on the waiting list for transfer to the school at the end of my road. She's been waiting since last September and still has to bus in to her old school daily.

Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 have maximum class sizes of 30 pupils. Even Appealong won't get you a place.

If your child is above Year 3 it may be easier, as class sizes are not limited.

Apparently there is a shortage of spaces in primary schools nationwide due to combination of immigration levels and school closures.

Lazytoad Sun 24-Feb-13 22:19:22

When we moved we researched schools on the internet first, then had a look at the ones we liked(in fact I think we only looked at one). The new school steared us in the right direction and pretty much sorted it all for us I think. I think it's up to you whether or not you tell your current school, they shouldn't have a problem with it. Whereabouts in Cornwall are you moving to?

finleymummy Sat 23-Feb-13 18:58:59

My family and I are hoping to move to Cornwall at the end of this school year, and will need to find a primary school place for our child. I am aware that I have to apply through our own LEA, though I'm not sure about how the process works. Of course, we will need to visit schools sometime during term time and take our child with us down there,then apply for a place after. But how long does the application take, and should I tell current school that we are taking child out to go to Cornwall to Visit schools?!

Could anyone please advise if they have moved areas and how they have done this themselves? Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now