year 5 assessment

(41 Posts)
santy Fri 22-Feb-13 17:39:18

My daughter has just had some assessments she is is year 5 and achieved a 6c in her reading/literacy test. Am I right in thinking this is a year 8 grade?

AScorpionPitForMimes Sat 23-Feb-13 14:56:26

tiggy my D is in Yr7 and is certainly doing Pythagoras and quadratic equations - she'a solid L6 at the moment, so that stuff is being taught at age 11/12. She wasn't quite there in Yr6 though, but then was 'only' a 5a at the time. I think she'd certainly have a decent shot at the GCSE foundation paper.

mrz Sat 23-Feb-13 15:17:42

The only new science my son was taught at secondary school was the periodic table but science was a definite strength in his primary school

Badvoc Sat 23-Feb-13 15:33:02

So..if my son was a 4c in maths at end of year 5 that would be considered good?
Not that it matters, really.
He has made really good progress so just trying to keep on with that...
Btw op your dd sounds very bright smile
Well done her.

mrz Sat 23-Feb-13 16:17:58

Yes it would

tiggytape Sat 23-Feb-13 16:25:59

tiggy my D is in Yr7 and is certainly doing Pythagoras and quadratic equations - she'a solid L6 at the moment

DS is out at the moment but when he gets home I'm going to ask him. He's a solid level 6 in Year 7, predicted grade 8 in Year 9 but I honestly didn't think he'd be anywhere GCSE standard right now. When I present him with this new information and get him looking at quadratic equations, he's going to blame all of you wink

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 23-Feb-13 16:29:56

what, even for GCSE mrz?? gosh!!

And he did bioacculumation, the reactivity series, pressure, moments, velocity and acceleration at primary before reaching KS3?

that's really very impressive primary teaching!

mrz Sat 23-Feb-13 16:32:11

Well he passed his GCSE without attending any lessons ShipwreckedAndComatose so I guess he did

mrz Sat 23-Feb-13 16:33:06

that should say after year 7

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 23-Feb-13 16:34:45

I'm guessing a back story here, which I can remember some details from your previous posting.

He did well, that's very impressive to achieve the GCSE in this way.

mrz Sat 23-Feb-13 16:36:23

They suggested he studied alone in a cupboard off the library

mrz Sat 23-Feb-13 16:37:39

but his year 6 teacher provided him with excellent grounding

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 23-Feb-13 16:42:27

I am sure she did for him to be able to pick up GCSE from it in his own personal studies.

mrz Sat 23-Feb-13 16:48:30

I've got to be honest I don't think he did much studying

BooksandaCuppa Sat 23-Feb-13 16:48:41

Ds is doing pythagoras and quadratic and simultaneous equations in yr 7 - we don't get levels as he's now at a non-selective independent (he was 5b end of yr6 but was capable of doing harder stuff at home - by choice!). I think he could easily pass a foundation level GCSE paper...

(Incidentally all the science he's doing seems to be KS4 stuff if we've ever gone onto BBC Bitesize site for additional help, so not sure if they'll need to go back and fill in some KS3 topics at any point?! His science teacher said the whole top group could easily pass single science GCSE by yr 8 but obviously they were aiming for triple science...not sure if taking up three of the nine courses with science is a good idea for those not planning on science later but, hey ho, it's years away yet!)

Badvoc Sat 23-Feb-13 16:50:38

My sons primary is very good with RE, history and science too.
Ds has come on leaps and bounds since starting year 4 and although a lot of that is down to work we do with him at home, his teachers were excellent.
They are ok in year 5 too, but his year 4 teachers really helped him believe in his abilities...he would never believe me sad
<wishes mrz was her sons teacher!>
smile

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 23-Feb-13 16:51:06

that's why we do only a two year KS3!

I have a feeling KS3 will be squeezed even more between the primary school and the GCSE reforms.

it was given a very high profile about 15-20 years ago but that's all passed on by...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now