What writing level is this please?

(23 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:06:03

The great rescue

In the deep dark woods Robin Hood and Will Scarlett are disiding how to save Maid Marion from the castsle.

Suddenly Robin hood caught a glimpse of sunlight coming from the pathway so they disided to follow it.When they reached the end of the path they saw a big giant gate house but the gards were there so they tryde to sneace past but they crossed there sawds to stop the coming past and souted you can not cross here.

They head back to think of an outher plan but Will seese a river and she tellse him they could swim acrose the river and climbe the wall and make their way to the keep. When they arive at the keep they slowly push open the big door and sneeke inside but it's very dark but they didnet see the tiger untill it jumped out so they ckwickley ran out of the building and sut the door. and kept running and burst into a roon then stop and relise ther in the dungeon. then they find Maid Marion. So they find the key and unlocked the door and sor a hole so they pulled Maid Marion and ron through the hole.
They were joyful and Maid Marion thank them.

missmapp Sun 17-Feb-13 19:08:25

Id say just a 2c, but hard to tell with out other writing ,

MariusEarlobe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:26:56

I think your right, she hasn't improved sad

Djwkin Sun 17-Feb-13 19:45:28

I disagree. Although there is some shifting of tenses and a slight over use of then and so as connectives, overall it reads as a 3c+ piece of writing. Although punctuation could be improved ( overlong sentences), the sentence structure is clearly more mature than an average year two/three and there is some lovely phrasing (glimpse of sunlight etc). The story is coherent, and spelling is phonetically plausible and recognisable in most instances (some work on the sh phoneme might not go amiss though). Definitely not a 2c though!

missmapp Sun 17-Feb-13 19:46:40

Don't think there is enough punctuation for a level 3, I am a hard leveller though!

Djwkin Sun 17-Feb-13 19:49:27

The run on sentences at the end and the shift of tenses (which give the action more immediacy) might just reflect the fact that your dd wanted to get the story finished. There is still paragraphing, and a beginning, middle and end. No less than 2a, with lots of level three and age appropriate language and phrasing. Tell her well done.

Djwkin Sun 17-Feb-13 19:57:31

I also get the sense that your daughter is currently combining phonic representations of words with more a more visual sense of how particular words are spelt (lots of hard words are correct) which may well mean that she is getting close to the point where she will use conventional spelling in an age appropriate way.

Pozzled Sun 17-Feb-13 20:11:29

I'd also say a 3c. Definitely better than a 2c- although there are issues with tense and punctuation, the vocabulary and sentence structure pull it up.

It would depend how much support was given though, and what the child could do with other genres.

MariusEarlobe Sun 17-Feb-13 20:39:29

Thanks, dd is year 5 with receptive language disorder, the end changes because she had had enough and wanted it finished.

"which may well mean that she is getting close to the point where she will use conventional spelling in an age appropriate way."

[Hopeful]

numbum Sun 17-Feb-13 20:39:53

'just a 2c' shock

I'm not a teacher but even I can see that it's more than 'just a 2c'!!

Ferguson Sun 17-Feb-13 21:18:21

I have known PARENTS who couldn't write as well as that !

MariusEarlobe Sun 17-Feb-13 22:00:22

Thanks, the only way I helped her was to say to her , right your at this point, if it was you stood at the gates or where ever she was in the story what would you do now and how would you do it.

She really struggles with stories/imagination.

donnasummer Sun 17-Feb-13 22:06:52

ok so it's lacking punctuation - it's half term so I'm not going to even try to level it (really irking when you have great content but insufficient ticks)
It's really vivid, I like it, well done! I'd carry on enthusing her as you are doing

donnasummer Sun 17-Feb-13 22:09:32

btw my ds is y5 and has just begun writing really interesting vivid stories, it's like it's all beginning to come together, meanwhile he also forgets capitals, speech marks etc - I am hoping to remind him of this but just now am rejoicing in his new found authorial competence

corblimeymadam Sun 17-Feb-13 22:12:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

juniper904 Mon 18-Feb-13 12:38:00

I think it's a 2a. There are level 3 aspects but the lack of punctuation pulls it down, as does the flow. She's used 'when' as an opener, as well as 'so' as a connective. She's also included extended phrases and a few adverbs, although they are quite simplistic.

juniper904 Mon 18-Feb-13 12:39:18

Incidentally, we did our writing moderation last week and it got pretty heated. It seems that, even using the same mark scheme, 7 teachers can't agree. We all had different things that 'made' a level. Not too reassuring, really!

MM5 Mon 18-Feb-13 12:57:40

I would level it at a 2a+. I can see how it can tip over to a 3c. However, there is still not enough evidence for me to say 3c.

MariusEarlobe Mon 18-Feb-13 14:31:52

Thanks, I'd be more than happy with a 2a even though she's year 5, at least I would feel she was getting somewhere!

mrz Mon 18-Feb-13 14:59:41

I wouldn't give a 2A based on that single piece of writing but that doesn't mean she isn't a 2A or higher on other pieces.

Rona1402 Wed 20-Feb-13 13:49:31

This is a 2a writing with some elements of level 3. Correct use of punctuation would be the next steps for this child if she was in my class.

ipadquietly Wed 20-Feb-13 14:22:28

I'd say 2b, with elements of 2a (and, indeed, some elements of L3).

wtf1981 Fri 22-Feb-13 03:08:29

2a in my opinion,with elements of level three. It's definitely not just a 2c!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now