Feeling anxious about my DCs school...

(7 Posts)
socharlottet Sun 17-Feb-13 19:34:04

My Dc at (an OFSTED outstanding) school with about 50 (maybe slightly fewer) pupils.Once they get into KS2 they compete against other small schools in tournaments for literally about a dozen sports throughout the year.The winning school goes through to area and then regional championships and eventually national (although we've never got that far lol).
The thing I would focus on is (1) how well it is educating your child in the basics and (2) whether your child is developing confidence and experiencing success in their own eyes.
IME these 2 things are much more difficult to achieve in a large school.

educator123 Sun 17-Feb-13 18:11:34

It doesn't help that we are in an area with a few small rural schools and the 'other' school is the 'be all and end all' of school around here due to it having such a good rep and very good head/teachers. We happened to have been offered rare places due to a family relocated and I'm left feeling, will I always be wondering what if or regret it if I don't snap them up.

educator123 Sun 17-Feb-13 17:40:17

I think that's the problem they are both good schools.

The one they are at - under 50 children.
The other larger so comparing things like number of teaching assistants, how information you can get from the website, SAT scores, extra curricular, equipment....everything really.

The things I loved are now things that i'm wondering if I should be worrying about.

They both have good reputations but the larger one has a very good one locally due to having an exceptional head and also I think because it is bigger more surrounded by a few villages and a town people are probably aware of it whereas the smaller one is more rural.

They are prob both good schools but different due to size so hard to know which is 'best' all round.

I'm worried that maybe the smaller one won't be 'enough' but then I've been told by a teacher friend that the ofsted report they have just received is hard to achieve under the new framework so she would keep the children there.

It's hard to get insight from knowledgeable people on here without out myself/schools!

LIZS Sun 17-Feb-13 17:20:38

How about supplementing with out of school sports' clubs?

redskyatnight Sun 17-Feb-13 17:18:11

Depends what you are comparing and worrying about.
A small school is likely to have fewer facilities than a larger school.

It might be that you're comparing 2 good schools.

JulietAndRomeo Sun 17-Feb-13 14:44:46

No, of course not.

educator123 Sun 17-Feb-13 13:33:52

They are at a school I did love...but due to a sporty child and lack of sport at dcs current tiny school I had a look another close by school.

Since I have been looking and comparing everything between the two...worrying the one they are at maybe isn't as good as I first thought

They have just been Ofsteded and awarded a Good with Outstanding features. Should this be enough to put my mind at ease?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now