HABS 7+ assessment preparation

(8 Posts)
abhijitc4u Sun 17-Feb-13 08:13:09

Hi, my son goes to a very good state school in NW London. He is in reception and we want to put him for HABS 7+ in 2 years time.

I am looking for some referrals of tutors who can help him prepare for the written and interview.

Also, does anybody know how intensive is the interview process ?

Regards

LePetitPrince Sun 17-Feb-13 13:52:45

The papers are published online so that is a good start. I really wouldnt start tutoring until year mid-year 1 at the earliest, or the start of year 2 preferably. It is very competitive at 7, are you too lateto try for 5 iinstead? There are lots more places and the process is more gentle.

Ikeaismyideaofhell Sun 17-Feb-13 23:46:23

Aren't the exams Jan of Y2? I suspect leaving it until start of Y2 is too late, and those who are tutoring will be doing so a year beforehand.

abhijitc4u Mon 18-Feb-13 08:44:57

that's what was told to me by one of the parents..they went in January 2013 to start preparing their son for next year and were advised by the tutor its too late for HABS. I could have tried the same tutor but the feedback wasnt very positive..

emanuela Mon 18-Feb-13 10:03:52

Where do you live?

My son is in reception as well and habs is a possibility for us as well. He goes to an amazing pre- prep so I will let them do the preparation, but if he goes to a prep they won't prepare him for the 7+.
Mum teacher sounds very good and well informed I think she is in nwlondon (disclaimer: I don't know her, I am just going by her posts).

mumteacher Mon 18-Feb-13 13:39:45

Thanks emanuela for thinking of me.

I have to agree with the previous post that reception maybe too early to start prep for 7+. It does usually start in the January of yr1.

I'm happy if op you want to pm me and I can guide you on how to keep on track yourself throughout reception yr.

Good luck x

abhijitc4u Mon 18-Feb-13 17:40:48

Hi mumteacher,

I live in Harrow, and wanted to take inputs from you on HABS preparation.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

mumteacher Tue 19-Feb-13 19:27:33

Reception yr -addition subtraction within 10, beginning to read, tell the time to hour and 1/2 past,

Keeping on top of such things will help. You could also introduce bond books at this age- not a lot maybe a paper a week so working around 20 mins each day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now