ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

If your a teacher would you take offence if I asked you what level my DD yr2 is working at?

(31 Posts)
educator123 Fri 15-Feb-13 16:56:11

Esp as they don't seem to give them out or its never mentioned and I've also been considering moving her

Feenie Sun 17-Feb-13 13:05:57

But then in Yr 2 there is the SAT Key Stage I tests

Key Stage 1 teacher assessments - tests form a very small part of the evidence.

AChickenCalledKorma Sun 17-Feb-13 17:02:41

ReallyTired I am in two minds. My gut reaction is the same as yours - that 7yos shouldn't have to worry about this stuff. In reality, it doesn't appear to "worry" them at all. Perhaps because they only know what level they are on - not what level they "should" be on. I am also not aware of much in the way of competitive parenting in the playground.

It is possible that the fact we have so much information about their levels means that it stops being something that people have little whispered conversations about. Or perhaps I just have spectacularly uncompetitive friends grin.

Rollergirl1 Sun 17-Feb-13 17:10:41

DD's school doesn't actively publish the NC levels. I asked DD's teacher at the end of Yr1 after I received her end of year report and it was full of wishy-washy descriptions. She was happy to tell me. Now DD is in Year2 and their workbooks have their level and targets on a print-out that is stuck in the front. I outright asked the teacher at Parents Evening what level DD is on now and she told me and then whispered what she expected her to be come the end of Yr2. Not really sure why she did that as it was only me in the room! But what I took away from that exchange is that the teachers aren't really meant to discuss the levels with the parents, which i find really quite odd!

Feenie Sun 17-Feb-13 17:13:03

The only statutory requirement is to report levels at the end of each key stage - so Y2 and Y6.

gabsid Sun 17-Feb-13 17:32:57

At infant and lower KS2 I wouldn't want my DC to worry about levels, but I want to know how DC are getting on academically and socially.

I would want DC to have targets though. They can work on targets, e.g. use capital letters and full stops, that means something to them and they are reminded if they have them in their books. But levels as such?

ReallyTired Sun 17-Feb-13 18:51:02

"The only statutory requirement is to report levels at the end of each key stage - so Y2 and Y6."

Yes, and no. If you really want to know teacher assessments and the school aren't playing ball then there is the data protection act. Parents have the right to know anything about their child which is stored on a computer provided its not child protection, or doesn't infringe on the rights of another child. (ie. you can not force the school to divulge the name of the child who bit yours at nursery.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now