Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Another reception/reading thread - help with books please!

(30 Posts)
OhThisIsJustGrape Thu 14-Feb-13 12:55:35

DD started reception in September and is doing very well. My problem is that her reading book is not changed very often, she finds the books relatively easy although I would say they are appropriate for the stage she is at but as she can read it competently the first time and is then left with it for over a week (the book she currently has was changed Monday of last week), she is getting bored.

I have asked her teacher on occasion if she can possibly have her book changed but always get the same reply trotted out - the children have to read to the teacher before the book can be changed, they read with a volunteer on a Monday but she is not qualified to change the book. The teacher 'tries' to hear the children read once a week but this is not always possible. There are only 15 children in the class though so goodness knows how she would cope with 25 children!

Oddly enough, whenever I have asked for the book to be changed it does and DD will get up to 3 different books in a week then we slip back to one every 10days! I find her teacher quite unapproachable at times and she always seems to take whatever I say as a criticism.

So, I'd like to buy some books for DD to read at home. Not in any way to push her forward as such but more so she just has some different reading material. She likes to read every night but gets bored when its the same book after 10 days! We read lots of books to DD and she has a fantastic library but they are too advanced for her to read herself, she has a go and does quite well but I'd like her to be able to confidently read a book like she does with her reading book.

DD's school is using the Dandelion Readers books and is Unit 7 of the first set if that helps.

We have parent's evening in March and I am going to raise the issue with the teacher as I feel DD could be so much further ahead than she is if only the book was changed more often. If its a case of the teacher wanting DD to be learning the new letter sounds etc that come with each book in class first then I understand but I don't really think this is the case. DD seems to be more advanced than a lot of the children in the class - I see this for myself every morning when they are doing handwriting practice etc and also they have a list of goals on display and whereas the others have goals of recognising letters and sounds, DD's goal is about writing sentences with spaces in. I'm no expert but I do think she is a bright child (although obviously biased!).

DD is not my PFB btw, just incase it comes across a bit like that grin

Trixieblue Fri 15-Feb-13 11:08:07

When my boys book isn't changed I write him little rhyming story's to read. They don't have to be clever, but funny. Poo rhymes with a lot of other words, he can use his phonetics so well, trying the different sounds with the words I know that are "tricky" and apparently can't be sounded out, strange as we can sound them all out x biff and chip books are good basic books xxx

learnandsay Fri 15-Feb-13 14:39:51

People might be forgiven for supposing that a teacher who only changes the reading book once a week or once every couple of weeks regards the purpose of the reading book as being a different one from the teacher who changes the book three times a week. It would be nice to know how enthusiastic teachers who only change the book weekly or fortnightly are about comments made about books read outside school.

PeppermintCreams Fri 15-Feb-13 19:09:17

www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Reading-Tree-Songbirds-Stories/dp/0192792962/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360954770&sr=8-2

This version of the Songbird books is good value for money (not as cheap as the Book People ones though) as it includes 6/12 stories in one text book. I brought the first 5 books (which covers the first 3 levels) along with the project X Book People ones. They will be passed down to my younger nephews, then sold.

Now he can decode really well we are able to use the books in our local library. They have a poor selection of the very early levelled books but a very good selection of the later levels.

mrz Sat 16-Feb-13 07:21:27

Mrz seems to say often that she doesn't mind what the children read as long as they read and she seems to get good results. But, with any system I can see why the controller would want to call the shots and tell pupils what they must read and when they must read it. It's easier, possibly not better or more effective but certainly easier.

A class teacher can easily "control" what a child reads and when they read it in school. Home readers are sent home for practice (because unfortunately not all homes contain books) and are as much for the parents as for the child. As parents we want to feel involved in our child's education and home readers are a way most parents can be involved. There isn't anything more sinister behind them and one book a week or one book a day doesn't really make any difference all that matters is the child "reads".

learnandsay Sat 16-Feb-13 07:46:40

Home readers might be the best solution for homes which don't contain books or for families where reading isn't the norm. But for families in which reading is the norm and the parent supervises the child's reading of much more complicated books at home or in the library home readers bring a considerable gap into the child's reading experience. Some parents seem to experience varying levels of frustration when they attempt to straighten this gap out with school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now