Times tables learning Yr 3

(13 Posts)
OrangeFlower7 Tue 12-Feb-13 09:56:04

Hi does anyone have any tips or websites / games for learning times tables?

Many thanks

IzzyBusy Tue 12-Feb-13 10:12:24

We bought a times table CD that we play in the car on the way to and from school, the kids (and I) sing along, we may not be tuneful, but Dd year 3 has now cracked the 4 and 3 times tables.

Best of luck.

Elibean Tue 12-Feb-13 10:48:17

Squeebles (for ipad or iphone). dd1 learned the lot over last summer holidays (end of Y3) grin

Percy Parker works well for dd2, who is Y1.

BoneChina Tue 12-Feb-13 12:55:41

I second squeebles. It's fab.

OrangeFlower7 Tue 12-Feb-13 13:17:34

Can you get Squeebles on a mac, or is it just on the iphone/ ipad? Thanks

EcoLady Tue 12-Feb-13 14:35:24

Hit The Button is always greeted with cheers in my class.

loads of games linked here

Mathsticks has lots of activity ideas to print off.

if they like colouring

charlie1967 Tue 12-Feb-13 14:36:40

I love Squeebles too. Really fun and bright.

Last week, my youngest son was told to download a thing called Beluga Learning. His teacher is using it and he loves it - can't get him off it now! His teacher says if covers all maths topics.

It's free in the appstore and has a website www.belugalearning.com

OrangeFlower7 Tue 12-Feb-13 16:07:47

Thanks!

PastSellByDate Thu 14-Feb-13 06:09:31

Hi OrangeFlower7

Oh so been there OrangeFlower7. Over the years we've discovered several things so try some of these out:

Woodlands Junior School has all sorts on multiplication in their maths zone: resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/timestable/

Ambleside Primary School's Table Trees is also very good for practice on specific times tables: www.amblesideprimary.com/ambleweb/mentalmaths/tabletrees.html (What truly impresses me is this programme was designed by their Year 4 pupils - wonderful!).

Crickweb has several mutliplication games and practice on individual tables: www.crickweb.co.uk/ks2numeracy-multiplication.html

BBC Bitesize has a multiplication game where you are quizzed on multiples of a number (so practicing counting up or memorized times tables depending on skill): www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks2/maths/number/multiplication/play/

Multiplication dot com (www.multiplication.com/) has games and resources - DD2 (Y3) likes this.

If your child likes video games and isn't too frightened by the ogres - I would heartily recommend downloading the free version of Timez Attack (link and info here: www.bigbrainz.com/. Basically the game assesses your child and starts from where they are at. Your child is cast as a young girl or boy ogre and than work through one of two platforms (in the free version - the purhcased versions have many more platforms to explore but we found the free version was fine). You come to doors which open and present a mutliplication problem - this is reviewed as multiple additions (so 5 x 3 is counted up 3, 6, 9, 12, 15) and then as a vertical formal maths problem. After you get this correct a big ogre comes out and quizzes you on 3 multiplication problems. Once you've worked through a level, you have a giant ogre quiz you on several problems and the ones you miss you have again on the next level. It can be a bit stressful, but we've found that both DDs really enjoyed playing and didn't actually realise they were practicing their times tables.

HTH

alanyoung Thu 14-Feb-13 10:31:17

You could try timestables4u.com. No chanting, singing etc.

Strix Thu 14-Feb-13 12:48:11

Buy a pack of index cards at WH Smith (or whever). And have your child make the flash cars. On one side write the equation, and the answer on the other side.

FRONT:
2 X 6 =

BACk:

The process of making the cards will help the learning. I also incorporate reading, writing, speaking, repetitions. So they read the equation and answer, they write it down, and they speak it outloud. It all helos the learning process. WE do them everywhere. Little and often is the key. At the breakfast table, on the bus, whenever they are bored or standing in a queue. Never cram them for three straight hours.

Frizy Thu 14-Feb-13 12:54:13

Music CDs! I had a cassette tape when I was little, and I'm now a Chartered Accountant and I still sing the songs to myself!

OrangeFlower7 Thu 14-Feb-13 15:48:01

Thanks again for all the ideas thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now