Why has our HT suddenly left??

(20 Posts)
ihearsounds Mon 11-Feb-13 22:58:59

A few years ago something like this happened. To parents, it was basically mind your own bloody business why the head suddenly quit. Need to know and confidentiality and all that, which she was well within her right to do so. This is what she requested being a very private individual.

In reality she had a very bad health prognosis, and she decided in the best interests of the school to resign as she wouldn't be around for several months, if ever. She also didn't want parents knowing because of weird stalker nutjobs who would contact hospital, family etc. Which had previously happen to a liked teacher.

Other staff when they leave, give a bs reasons to parents because at the end of the day, its none of your business.

MirandaWest Mon 11-Feb-13 22:56:05

It isn't any of your business. I have no idea what was said when I literally left teaching (had my most severe bout of depression and one day realised I just couldn't do it any longer. So I left).

Why is gross misconduct the first thing you think of? Why do you think you know all the ins and outs of this persons life?

ELR Mon 11-Feb-13 22:51:57

Depression? If she has lead a campaign she may have got really stressed with it and had a nervous breakdown

LatteLady Mon 11-Feb-13 22:44:47

As others have said, none of your business.

You are right, Heads do not up sticks and resign without good reason, most likely following such an announcement is an illness with a poor prognosis... probably for the Head. There do you feel better for knowing? No, thought not... now move on.

Having had to allow a HT last year, to take extended leave as her husband had a terminal illness... it is not easy. Her husband died a couple of months after the leave commenced, he wanted no-one outside his family and close circle of friends to know, as he also taught on occasion within our school community, it was not easy but it was a least one thing in his life, that he had some control over. So please think on, and let this one go.

littlestressy Mon 11-Feb-13 15:41:51

Our HT left suddenly, only a few weeks left of the term but she didn't stay. She didn't have to, the governors gave her the leave she needed to go.

You say the teachers don't know....they do, they just can't say.

And what business is it of yours anyway? Do you really want to know if the HT was forced to resign because they were doing an awful job? Or do you want to know the ins and outs of their personal life?

KatieMiddleton Mon 11-Feb-13 15:29:37

If she or a family member seriously ill they may not choose to share it with you. She may have had a break down.

Just leave it be. It's obviously a sensitive situation and none of your business. What is your business is who is going to be the head now. Put your energies into support the new ht and transition.

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 11-Feb-13 15:25:17

It sounds like she is acting considerately, resigning so that the school is free to appoint. It's a shame that whatever crisis she's facing is being met with lurid speculation from a parent or parents instead of support and concern.
But that's the reality I suppose.

socharlottet Mon 11-Feb-13 15:23:04

Most likely to be a sick relative.

MrsHoarder Mon 11-Feb-13 15:05:18

Which is why its likely that its something for which she would get sick or compassionate leave for anyway: she's been off for a month and has seen that she can't come back in a timely fashion so has resigned.

tiggytape Mon 11-Feb-13 15:04:53

I don't know how you know enough about her to know details of her health and that of her family members but not know why she's gone. It is most likely to be something to do with a relative if she is not ill herself but you wouldn't necessarily know even if she were very ill.

People don't have to work notice at all. There are situations where they could walk out one day and never look back and not really care or be in a position to care about it. Or they could have holiday accrued / governor approval to leave straight away without serving notice.

When a H/T left 'under a cloud' at a school I shall not name but knew details of, it was not given cited as being for personal reasons. Nothing at all was said - it was announced the H/T had left and no reasons would be given and that was that until the full story broke much later. Also there was no build up - no month off. It happened (as far as parents were concerned) overnight.

I think it is unkind for parents to be speculating that she's done something wrong. By far and away, the most likely explanation is that something upsetting has happened to her or a family member that has turned their whole lives upside down.

Magdalenebaby Mon 11-Feb-13 14:58:21

Why do you think it is any of your business?

GanglyGiraffe Mon 11-Feb-13 14:56:34

The teachers have been told, but are not allowed to share this info with you.

CocktailQueen Mon 11-Feb-13 14:52:09

They said personal reasons to cover her month's absence. They just said 'decided to resign' for the final letter.

No, not home life. Not health. We were told that. And shouldn't she have to give a term's notice anyway??

tiggytape Mon 11-Feb-13 14:21:38

If it says for personal reasons, it is more likely to be something sad in her home life that looked like it might improve with time but then didn't. She may have had to move away because of it or may not be able to face anyone. I certainly don't think it points to anything worrying for the school

You have been told why she has gone - personal (home life) reasons. That's all you need to know. They don't say 'personal reasons' to cover being sacked. If she'd been sacked they'd literally give no reason at all - not even a vague one.

Wigeon Mon 11-Feb-13 14:20:12

I can think of zillions of reasons why she might have resigned and not been sacked:

She has been diagnosed with a very serious illness and can't continue working (cancer?)

A close family member has a very serious illness (child? husband? her parent?) and she wants to care for them.

There are some other family issues that she needs time to deal with, which won't be resolved easily - eg son in serious trouble with the police / addicted to drugs / something else like that

She has decided to emigrate but hasn't given that as her reason for resignation, so no one knows

She has decided teaching isn't for her and she is resigning in order to retrain as a midwife / artist / acupuncturist / accountant.

She has fallen out hugely with her senior leadership team, but it's not a matter of gross misconduct, and she saw no option but to resign.

I think gross misconduct really is only one of very many possible reasons.

Owllady Mon 11-Feb-13 14:16:07

yes it is very strange that the pope resigned on the same day!shock

WowOoo Mon 11-Feb-13 14:13:58

It's none of your business is it or even the teachers business why someone has to resign?smile
It could be anything.
Fingers crossed you get a decent replacement in soon.

TippiShagpile Mon 11-Feb-13 14:13:09

She's run off with the pope

Owllady Mon 11-Feb-13 14:12:23

maybe she has ran off with the milkman?

seriously though, how are we supposed to know?grin

CocktailQueen Mon 11-Feb-13 14:11:01

Got a letter home from school after Xmas saying that our HT was taking a month off for personal reasons and would be back end Jan. A new acting HT was drafted in immediately as out deputy HT is inexperienced.

Then last week we got a letter saying that the HT had resiogned and would not be back - even to say goodbye!! shock

Now, she has only been with us for 1.5 years. She has spearheaded a campaign to open a new school; she won the tender for it and it is being built as we speak. Surely she wouldn't just up and resign in the middle?

So, does it sound as if she was sacked? But what for? Must be some sort of gross misconduct thing. And why aren't we being told?! <nosey> None of the teachers have been told either!! Isn't that odd??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now