What should a child be able to do by time they leave reception.

(36 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 10-Feb-13 14:28:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 13-Feb-13 21:21:40

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 13-Feb-13 20:50:17

That's progress at least.

D you think now that they realise that you mean business and are on their case that they might get their act together so that you're not having to fight every step of the way? I really hope so.

TheNoodlesIncident Wed 13-Feb-13 20:22:53

It's only to be expected that she is developmentally behind her peers. Her school work isn't so bad if you look at it as being the work of a child between three and four. (My DS was also assessed as being many months developmentally delayed, which I expected but was still a bit unpleasant to hear.)

I think you are doing well yourself, you have asked for work home and obviously that tells them you are prepared to help your DD and work with them. Hopefully your assertiveness will start having an affect. Sorry your DD's school aren't fantastic at the moment, with a bit of luck they will get their arses into gear.

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 13-Feb-13 14:57:22

TheNoodlesIncident Wed 13-Feb-13 11:40:04

I need to know too <drums fingers>

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 12-Feb-13 22:25:23

How not no!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 12-Feb-13 22:15:37

No did it go OP?

PolterGoose Mon 11-Feb-13 19:25:02

lisad my ds is 9 now, doing very well academically, and has dx of AS, SPD and hypermobility too. It feels like forever ago but I do remember there being a huge range of abilities in reception and Y1. Ds was a slow starter, clearly bright but took a long time initially to work through the reading levels, very poor writing (common with HM) and no great mathematical ability either. He did have a fantastic knowledge of sea life though grin

But seriously, school need to get their arses in gear with provision ASAP. She should be on school action plus at the very least. I've recently applied for statutory assessment for a statement, I don't think we will get it but the process has given school a big kick and they now have to demonstrate what they are doing, so if nothing else it gives a good starting point for arguing for provision.

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 11-Feb-13 19:09:14

TheNoodlesIncident Sun 10-Feb-13 23:27:31

Take No Prisoners grin

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 10-Feb-13 23:21:55

TheNoodlesIncident Sun 10-Feb-13 23:13:36

TA support would be massively helpful, if her behaviour has deteriorated then it should make it abundantly clear that she's not coping. A TA should also be able to help her focus on the work she's doing.

Don't sort of blame yourself, they are in a better position than you to see what's going wrong. And frankly they haven't exactly been very proactive themselves if they haven't even started on IEPs etc. Guess you're going to ask for a meeting to discuss it..

ThisIsMummyPig Sun 10-Feb-13 23:12:37

My DD1 is just 5. She can do the things you have said, but I'm not certain she can form all her her letters. Some of them she definately does wrong, for example her letter 'a' looks like the mathematical infinity sign. I don't think she could do 2 digit numbers in writing, although she can recite to 100 - count to about 20. She can count in 2s and 10s. Her reading is as you describe. She can't draw anything you would recognise, or colour in neatly.

I used to think she was bright, but I don't any more. She has no special needs that have been picked up on.

I can see that she is behind some of the other kids, but she definately isn't bottom of the class either. I think there is huge variation.

MrsMushroom Sun 10-Feb-13 23:11:29

She's very little and has a lot to deal with...and so do you. try not to feel too sad at the moment Lisad...whatever happens, you will get this sorted so that DD has the best help available and can begin to learn as she's capable of.

Remember that she is coping with all her issues and is obviously doing very welby the sound of it when that's taken into consideration..my NT DD is also in reception and isn't exactly storming ahead academically! She barely knows her alphabet yet!

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 10-Feb-13 23:02:32

MrsMushroom Sun 10-Feb-13 22:59:49

Poor DD. It''s nearly half term Lisad...she can have a break from it all then. It may be what she needs....I know all of DDs class are tired and run down.x

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 10-Feb-13 22:58:05

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 10-Feb-13 22:56:49

MrsMushroom Sun 10-Feb-13 22:49:30

\I agree with Noodle by the way....they should have things in place now. I ould get bit pushy if I were you.

MrsMushroom Sun 10-Feb-13 22:48:26

Is she happy? Are they providing any support Lisad? How does her teacher say she's coping with the environment on a day to day basis?

TheNoodlesIncident Sun 10-Feb-13 22:48:02

It's disgraceful that she hasn't had an IEP set out by now, no wonder you're fuming. Hope you can get the SENCo on side, they've had plenty of time to assess her for where her difficulties lie. Does she have any others, IBP (only suggest it as you said "behavioural plan") or SCIP? Possibly not if they are concentrating on getting her settled...

I found the expectations for numeracy at the end of reception on my school's website, but they didn't have the same information for literacy. It must be on t'Web somewhere though. If you feel your DD is struggling though, that's the main thing, rather than the targets for the end of the year. It doesn't sound like she's getting any much support tbh.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 10-Feb-13 22:43:38

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 10-Feb-13 22:28:14

Ds2 is in reception and is young for his year (June). He is in welsh education, so learning in a 2nd language.

He knows and can write all of his letters and numbers up to 15 (gets a bit muddled after 16 in English but can go on and on in welsh). He is doing simple addition and subtraction.

He has been bringing reading books home since just after October half term and is getting on well with them.

Your dd does sound a little behind, but I would be more concerned about getting her needs recognised with an IEP at the moment. Once that's in place, there's plenty of time for her to catch up.

MrsMushroom Sun 10-Feb-13 22:21:11

My DD is in reception and she can JUST about read her name and recognise some letters....she knows all the phonics "signs" and can pick out odd words but its hit and miss.

As someone else said, it's hard to tell so early...some will leave unable to read...whilst others will be reading confidently.

What SN does DD have?

Mirror writing IS normal at this age. My elder DD reversed a few letters right up until she was 7...then she stopped and now she is going on 9 she reads books mean for much lder children and is a level 4A. Don't stress...though the SN will make it harder for you. Do you have a diagnoses?

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 10-Feb-13 22:17:12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now