What should a child be able to do by time they leave reception.

(36 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 10-Feb-13 14:28:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 10-Feb-13 23:21:55

TheNoodlesIncident Sun 10-Feb-13 23:27:31

Take No Prisoners grin

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 11-Feb-13 19:09:14

PolterGoose Mon 11-Feb-13 19:25:02

lisad my ds is 9 now, doing very well academically, and has dx of AS, SPD and hypermobility too. It feels like forever ago but I do remember there being a huge range of abilities in reception and Y1. Ds was a slow starter, clearly bright but took a long time initially to work through the reading levels, very poor writing (common with HM) and no great mathematical ability either. He did have a fantastic knowledge of sea life though grin

But seriously, school need to get their arses in gear with provision ASAP. She should be on school action plus at the very least. I've recently applied for statutory assessment for a statement, I don't think we will get it but the process has given school a big kick and they now have to demonstrate what they are doing, so if nothing else it gives a good starting point for arguing for provision.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 12-Feb-13 22:15:37

No did it go OP?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 12-Feb-13 22:25:23

How not no!

TheNoodlesIncident Wed 13-Feb-13 11:40:04

I need to know too <drums fingers>

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 13-Feb-13 14:57:22

TheNoodlesIncident Wed 13-Feb-13 20:22:53

It's only to be expected that she is developmentally behind her peers. Her school work isn't so bad if you look at it as being the work of a child between three and four. (My DS was also assessed as being many months developmentally delayed, which I expected but was still a bit unpleasant to hear.)

I think you are doing well yourself, you have asked for work home and obviously that tells them you are prepared to help your DD and work with them. Hopefully your assertiveness will start having an affect. Sorry your DD's school aren't fantastic at the moment, with a bit of luck they will get their arses into gear.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 13-Feb-13 20:50:17

That's progress at least.

D you think now that they realise that you mean business and are on their case that they might get their act together so that you're not having to fight every step of the way? I really hope so.

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 13-Feb-13 21:21:40

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now