Test your grammar - Guardian test

(208 Posts)
Feenie Sat 09-Feb-13 11:39:14

www.guardian.co.uk/teacher-network/teacher-blog/quiz/2013/feb/04/grammar-punctuation-quiz-test

Am relieved I scored 14 out of 14, since I am a Literacy cordinator!

I only knew what a gerund was because I remembered it from the English Language unit I had to study for my Lit degree - not sure it is of much use to your average 11 year old, really.

posadas Sun 10-Feb-13 17:17:37

I scored 14...
but I don't think it's a good test.
While I'm sure it's useful for children to learn the names of parts of speech (gerund, active voice, etc), it's far more important to know how to write correctly. A better test would be to describe a situation -- ie Last year, we visited my grandmother during the summer holiday -- then ask which sentence would be a grammatically correct follow-on: a) I am happy to see her; b) I was happy to see her; c) I will be happy to see her. That example is too simple for Y6 but the general idea -- ie getting students to identify correct grammar -- would, I think, be a better test than simply knowing that one sentence is present tense and one is past tense, etc...

mrz Sun 10-Feb-13 17:35:46

The test Y6 children will sit in May requires them to know the terms. It replaces the writing test which required them to use grammar correctly hmm

Lizzabadger Sun 10-Feb-13 17:43:49

14 and ain't studied English since 'O' level

Trills Sun 10-Feb-13 17:44:29

I'm not really sure that knowing that a particular part of speech is called a gerund is necessary in order to be able to use it correctly.

(I agree with posadas)

tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 10-Feb-13 17:44:37

14 phew! As a former EFL teacher and foreign language student I would've been pretty embarrassed at much less

10 and guessed most of them based on common sense. Totally forgot pride is a collective noun even though I didn't know what a collective noun was five minutes ago.

JenaiMorris Sun 10-Feb-13 18:00:23

My grammar isn't that dreadful irl, despite having scored an embarrassing 7.

JenaiMorris Sun 10-Feb-13 18:12:42

Please nobody search my posting history to prove me wrong grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now