WWYD - no progress

(10 Posts)
CinammonAndCaramel Fri 08-Feb-13 20:34:50

I so don't know what to do.

I asked the HT for an explanation as to why DD has made no progress in 2 years and a plan for how things were going to be different.

A week later she has sent home her IEP as response.

There is no reason to believe this IEP will help any more then her last IEPs.

So what shall I do?

1. Not talk to the HT or anyone else at school for the next 2 years?

2. Reply that I'm upset she won't even discuss the problem?

3. Put in a formal complaint?

I don't think any of these things will help.

Moving school or home educating I am sure would be worse for DD than keeping her there.

Is there anything I can do that will help / stop me going crazy?

MariusEarlobe Fri 08-Feb-13 20:43:03

A child not making process for that period of time after iep should have been moved on to school action then school action plus which requires outside agencies.

CinammonAndCaramel Fri 08-Feb-13 20:44:24

She's on school action plus

MariusEarlobe Fri 08-Feb-13 20:51:49

Are outside agencies involved , dd has just been assessed by the targeted education support service.
Does she have diagnosed sen?

CinammonAndCaramel Fri 08-Feb-13 20:55:12

The EP has seen her and labelled her.

That's not what I want help with. I want help with how to maintain a relationship with school. Or whether I even should.

MariusEarlobe Fri 08-Feb-13 21:04:37

Ok sorry, I don't know your background. Was their a big issue with the head when you spoke to them? Is that why you feel you can't have a relationship with the school?

I've had this problem with dd for the last year, I kept coming up against a brick wall. Dd is now getting daily 1 -1 she needs but I had to kick up a real fuss.

CinammonAndCaramel Fri 08-Feb-13 21:22:19

The big issue is the HT won't engage with us or admit there have been anu problems (which there has been)

I don't want more support for DD. That's not what she needs. She needs better teaching. And school can't do that.

So there's no point in continuing to talk to them. But equally not talking to school won't help.

plainjayne123 Fri 08-Feb-13 21:24:26

Try posting on Special Needs: Children. There may be more support/expertise there

admission Fri 08-Feb-13 21:30:57

In theory the IEP should detail how the school intends for your child to make progress. Obviously from your tone in the posts you have zero belief that the IEP does that.
I think that you have to accept that if you are going to get the help your child deserves then you are going to be very unpopular at school. If you are up for this then I would suggest that your next step is to write in with a formal complaint that the IEP in no way gives any belief that there will be any progress in attainment of your child. What you will probably get back is a whole lot of double dutch verbage meaning nothing, if your thoughts about the school are borne out.The reply from you then is to raise the stakes by asking for specific measurable targets for your child in numeracy and literacy for six months time, which is in effect the end of the school year. If they are not forthcoming then you complain to the governing body. If they are forthcoming then you hold the school to account in June /July as to whether any progress has been made.
My inclination is to suggest that if that does not get the school helping you child, nothing will and then only other course of action is to look for another school.

AICM Fri 08-Feb-13 21:50:00

http://www.kushari.org/2010/07/08/these-grades-are-terrible-cartoon/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now