Books after songbirds?

(18 Posts)
birdseed Mon 04-Feb-13 23:17:32

can anyone recommend books for my 4 and a half year old DS to read? - he has just finished songbirds series and no idea what to give him next.
I am looking for decodable books ( unlike those given by school!)

I have browsed/ searched mums net for ideas but no joy so far.

Help please!

simpson Mon 04-Feb-13 23:26:45

Have you looked at the oxford owl website??

They have loads of free ebooks to read which are fab.

Our local library also had phonics books which DD read which she loved, it might be worth checking out. (the very first one she read was "Run Rat Run" which would be far to easy for your DS but you can look it up on amazon to get an idea of what the books look like). They had phonics corner books and a "start reading" set of books which are levelled with NC reading books.

It might be worth seeing if he could cope with a basic early chapter book (which the library will have loads of) like the green bananas books or the tadpole reading books.

What type of books does he get from school?

learnandsay Tue 05-Feb-13 06:53:35

I would ask the same as simpson. What books is the school giving you?

birdseed Tue 05-Feb-13 19:36:21

Giving us Oxford reading tree old style or Ginn, which is fine but he hasn't been taught some variations of sounds that come up, so I thought that phonics might be better so that it doesn't turn into a variation on 'look and say' method of learning to read. Phonics has been shockingly effective for him so I want to continue.
Went to library but no joy, only a small library. Have some songbirds and some project X and I thought project x looked a bit old for him in terms of topics/ style. Am I right?

birdseed Tue 05-Feb-13 19:36:59

Ie the library have project x

learnandsay Tue 05-Feb-13 19:48:49

simpson is a big fan of www.oxfordowl.co.uk

free e books.

I'd try there first and ask the teacher for decodable ones.

simpson Tue 05-Feb-13 19:50:22

Some of them on there are decodable, you just have to hunt for them grin

You can also check out the reading chest but that costs ££.

simpson Tue 05-Feb-13 19:51:42

My DD hates project x with a vengeance

mrz Tue 05-Feb-13 19:53:10

www.mumsnet.com/learning/ebooks some free phonics books at mn learning too

mrz Tue 05-Feb-13 19:54:18

They were written specifically for boys simpson (but some girls like them)

simpson Tue 05-Feb-13 19:58:35

I thought they might have been.

DS would have loved them but DD unfortunately is into reading about fairies, animals and generally fluffy type of books (although she is partial to Mr Men books).

mrz Tue 05-Feb-13 20:52:58

I went to a weekend workshop with Gary Wilson the consultant on Project X

simpson Tue 05-Feb-13 20:57:48

The only one she liked was the one when they got their watches by finding a box at a charity shop.

mrz Tue 05-Feb-13 20:59:16

The silver box?

simpson Tue 05-Feb-13 21:09:58

Just had to check on amazon as it was a while when she had it but yes that's the one.

She read The Thing in the Cupboard tonight which she did not really enjoy, although she was impressed that it is a chapter book smile

mrz Tue 05-Feb-13 21:14:21

One of the girls in my class last year loved A Wild Ride (as it ends with to be continued she got her mum to buy the next book rather than wait over half term)

simpson Tue 05-Feb-13 21:19:16

Luckily DD's teacher has given DD the next book already (she gave them both to her on Monday) so she only has to wait until tomorrow night smile

birdseed Thu 07-Feb-13 21:10:03

Thank you all. I will give the e books a go and look at project x again to see if I was wrong. What did you think of project x after your course mrz?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now